Chausson owners - replacement door retainer

Mel B

Speaking with a few Chausson owners, it appears that quite a few of us think that the standard habitation door retainer is a load of poo! Having gone through 2 of them in just over a year (the first was replaced by the dealer FOC) and as it is a Chausson part they cost of a replacement is around £13-15 each!!! I wasn't going to buy one at that price for it to break again, so instead have been mooching around for a suitable repalcement and have fitted one of these:

Chausson door retainer alternative

The depth of the retainer is perfect - some are too shallow, but this one is just right and ensures the door doesn't hit the side light lens and smash it.

Fortunately the holes in the part that goes on the door (male) are in exactly the same place as the original retainer, so it was just a case of remove the old one, 'spreading' the non-setting mastic flat to fit the shape of the new one, and screwing it on.

The part on the side of the motorhome (female) was more difficult as the holes didn't match up as they are wider spaced. Having removed the old 'receiver' part and scraped off some of the mastic, I clipped it on the door part and then opened the door fully, pushing it a little to make the 'receiver' stick to the mastic. I then marked up where the new holes needed to go then drilled them out (using some masking tap to prevent the drill bit sliding around on the panel). After spreading the mastic back out I screwed the part on nice and tightly, making sure that the mastic sealed well all round to prevent water ingress. I then carefully cut off the excess mastic on the door and panel.

One thing I did note, however, was that the new (female) part of the retainer which I put on the wall panel had to be re-sited slight right of the original retainer's position - which seems to indicate that the original retainers weren't sitting correctly and probably why they kept busting.

Archived