PVC prices !!

ips

Well it definately proves one thing and that is what is one persons ideal van is not anothers.

We have fixed bed and dont find the space underneath wasted at all cos the scooter lives under there. We dont have any rattles and I dont find the miirrors sticky out at all. Havent experienced any leaks. Ours is 140bhp and also goes like stink. mpg at 60mph is 30-32mpg at 70mph 26-28mpg. And I can if I wanted to swing "sabrina" our cat around in it no probs at all however I think mrs ips and mini ips would have something to say about it. :-D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
With respect the bloke above wanted to know experiences of downsizing, not as I said above turn it into a debate of PVC versus coach-built, it's been done to death so many times. :-S

I thought this looked brilliant! 8-)..

...until I realised that the vehicle shown ISN'T the actual one for sale..and that the price DOESN'T include the base vehicle or VAT...?!? :-S

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sprinter-Motorhome-Mercedes-Campervan-Conversion-/120740727285?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item1c1cb549f5

..although I am all for downsizing,when the time comes to change..and I'm well aware that we lug around way too much stuff that is never used......;-)

(..just watch now..in a couple of years times I'll probably end up with a ruddy great tag axle job!? *-) )

ips - 2011-08-11 8:46 AM

. Whilst I accept that building a pvc may be time consuming / labour intensive (I'm still not convinced) I still cant understand how anyone can justify the cost when you get more for your pound with a coachbuilt.

I will repeat my post.

Same size, same layout, same manufacturer.

PVC £30k

Coachbuilt £33k

pepe63 - 2011-08-11 8:55 AM

(Devon,Wildax etc) did,disappointingly have a slight "selfbuild" look to them(carpet wall linning,"conti-board" looking furniture..) :-(

..and I don't really want to be sitting in something and be forever thinking..."..we could've made something similar to this.." :-S

(..no offence intened to any Devon,Wildax owners out there.... :$ )

Well, pepe63, we have a self-build - it has no carpet anywhere other than on the floor and has real wood veneer furniture crafted like they did in the old days with coachbuilt caravans.

We are very happy to sit in our van knowing we made it and that it is unique - even if it is similar to the popular conversions.

Do think twice before insulting the self-builder, who may not have the funds that you have.

Ian L. http:// www.deepredmotorhome.com

JudgeMental - 2011-08-11 7:33 AM

http://duemo-duelmen.de/poessl/video.html

Here is a video of how the big boys in Europe do it...

Very interesting video Judge, goes to disprove the oft touted lie that only one worker can work on them at a time as there was at least three, possibly four, working inside during the video at one point!!

It is just a shame that I do not want a left hooker for one and they do not do a suitable layout for my purposes, even the RHD Globescout that we looked at at Peterboro show had the sliding door on the 'wrong' side for us.

Regarding 'cheaper self build look', it is possible to find a convertor that can produce a superbly finished van with top notch wood and quality fittings, still at a far more reasonable price than the mainstream offerings.

Bas

colin - 2011-08-11 8:14 PM

ips - 2011-08-11 8:46 AM

. Whilst I accept that building a pvc may be time consuming / labour intensive (I'm still not convinced) I still cant understand how anyone can justify the cost when you get more for your pound with a coachbuilt.

I will repeat my post.

Same size, same layout, same manufacturer.

PVC £30k

Coachbuilt £33k

Not sure what point you are making, Colin. This was Adria, who have streamlined the production process for both coachbuilt vans and PVCs. The Compact was a fairly high spec coachbuilt, and the PVCs were to a lower spec. So the comparison is rather apples with pears.

The general picture is that on a (approximately) like for like basis, PVCs from the smaller converters will be more expensive than coachbuilts. Not that all PVCs will be more expensive than all coachbuilts.

blackfingers - 2011-08-11 8:52 PM

Well, pepe63, we have a self-build - it has no carpet anywhere other than on the floor and has real wood veneer furniture crafted like they did in the old days with coachbuilt caravans.

We are very happy to sit in our van knowing we made it and that it is unique - even if it is similar to the popular conversions.

Do think twice before insulting the self-builder, who may not have the funds that you have.

Ian L. http:// www.deepredmotorhome.com

Whoa!...slow down there...you misunderstand me! :-S

I wasn't for one moment meaning to "insult" selfbuilders,my first van was an old Talbot, which I converted myself and like you,I felt great sitting there,in the knowledge that I'd done it myself!..

The point I was making(..quite clearly I thought :-S ),was that I personally couldn't see the point of paying £40,000+ for something I could pretty much produce myself...

Sorry for any misunderstand/offence caused.. :-D

To Bas..

If you do end up sourcing your own base vehicle and getting it converted,please keep us all informed of the progress. . ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Manu - 2011-08-11 9:38 AM

Hi Judge....did you enjoy your travels firstly ?

Would you change anything in the Adria now you have bedded down in it ?

What are the down sides if any and what made you go for the Adria compared to the other PVC's out there ?

Your experience on these matters are priceless in the downsizing market !

Did you at any point whilst away miss your coachbuilt ?

Phil

We are still away....currently at lake garda in Italy back next week :-S

Adria had best bed with excellent mattress, that tilts up easily offering lots of storage, larger fridge and twin heki rood lights etc...etc.... all in all it was a better package then the other vans available IMO the devils in the detail....

The globecar/Possl is probably better insulated but we are unlikely to winter camp in a PVC.Plus the Adria is more modern looking and better finish I think. but if we had gone for the longer twin single twin bed van would have probably bought the Globecar

My one regret is not getting the Automatic as I find the 6 speed box a pain...seems like I'm always shifting gear.

I thought I would miss the roof air and dealer offered to swop it over for 200 euro but I thought it would be a bit much on a PVC. Good decision as the 15 inch desk fan we brought with us is ample cooling...at night leave it on front table facing the rear bed and keeps us very comfortable.

the Rapido Derek was on about looks nice, but beds are only 1200 wide? mine is1450 plus yoo cant open rear doors and tilt up beds so it looses out in comfort AND storage. really dont see the point of a PVC trying to mimic a coachbuilt...

all the best Eddie

JudgeMental - 2011-08-12 9:10 AM

...the Rapido Derek was on about looks nice, but beds are only 1200 wide? mine is1450 plus yoo cant open rear doors and tilt up beds so it looses out in comfort AND storage. really dont see the point of a PVC trying to mimic a coachbuilt...

The Rapido's rear bed size is quoted at 1900mm x 1190mm (maximum), whereas our current Hobby's rear bed is 1950mm x 1260mm (maximum), so down-sizing to a V56 MIGHT be tolerable for my (tall) wife - though she already moans about the Hobby's bed being too short and narrow. I suspect that your Adria's bed is installed transversely, which is something neither of us wants.

The (potential) attraction of a V56 for us would be that it DOES mimic our Hobby's layout. In practice, I can't see that there would be any genuine advantage for us in switching from our 6.38m long coachbuilt Hobby to a 6m long PVC whoever makes it.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Odd that these threads veer off in another direction from the OP. A bit like the old supposed army communication that got handed down so many times turned from " send reinforcements we're going to advance" to send 3 & 4 pence we going to a dance ! !

The OP was about the price of PVC's, mmmmmmm

Manu - 2011-08-12 12:25 PM

Thanks Eddie, appreciate your input especially whilst away, interesting reading.

I think auto is a must...good health stay safe and have fun, we are not back til November and will look into a PVC then.

Phil

The auto on the Fiat panel van is fantastic giving car like performance and efforless driving. My only advice would be if possible to opt a model with "Hill Assist " as Fiat have now stopped offering hill assist as standard with the Comfortmatic gearbox. If you want a Swift or Autocruise this option is not available as they now only supply hill assist as an optional extra.

Chausson le mor - 2011-08-12 12:56 PM

Hi Mike88 you mention you have a Swift Mondial can i ask what model it is please are you happy with it any major problems just bought a Mondial FB but could only run to the 6 speed 120 engine. What sort of mpg do you get with the auto??? Cheers

Its the RL (2010). According to the trip computer (whose accuracy is probably dubious) I have averaged 29 mpg since ownership. On my last trip back from Spain in July I averaged 31mpg. My previous panel van (2.4 litre Transit with auto) returned about the same or maybe slightly less.

The vehicle has now travelled 7400 miles and there have been no problems with the vehicle but a few niggles with the conversion. In fact today I have been back to the dealer for a new kitchen tap and new water and waste drain taps. I am not overly impressed with Swift's build quality as things like screw covers have broken and door catches badly adjusted which I have sorted out myself. And the rattles from the fittings and furniture have taken some time to resolve by me.

I understand from two other 3 litre owners that the mpg should improve when the vehicle is fully run in after about 10000 miles. Not sure this is true but I have noticed a gradual increase in the last few trips. Possibly if I used the cruise control function my mpg would improve. But overall I am incredibly impressed with the performance of the base vehicle.

thanks for info just had similar problems on our FB both drain taps dripping constantly now changed for a different design they seem to have modified the2011 models ours is a 2010. Similar small niggles with catches one of our led's on the floor died and kitchen tap spout drops down when you are trying to use it! Otherwise mechanics are all ok but noticed in this months What Motorhome that Swift are stopping production of Mondial's and concentrating on making only the auto cruise range of PVC! Shame really as I like the iron grey metallic of the mondial it seems to blend in more than he usual metalic light grey and whites on other makes! might see you one day heading down the m5 no doubt in different directions!

Thanks Mike...sorry for delay in replying, having so much fun down here.

Yours was the van i was seriously intending to go for on the auto and RL but have been told by Lowdhams that no longer in production....dont know how true that is, dont want a Pug !

So if you decide to sell...lol, will be looking at the Adria like Eddies when we get back, thanks for your info !

Phil

Manu - 2011-08-12 7:04 PM

Thanks Mike...sorry for delay in replying, having so much fun down here.

Yours was the van i was seriously intending to go for on the auto and RL but have been told by Lowdhams that no longer in production....dont know how true that is, dont want a Pug !

So if you decide to sell...lol, will be looking at the Adria like Eddies when we get back, thanks for your info !

Phil

The equivalent to a Mondial is the Autocruise Rhythm also made by Swift.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm curious, you have a Merc at present, but appear to be looking for a Fiat Auto based vehicle, put me out of my misery, why ?

Good morning my friend....looking to down size thats it really, i dont really want a Sevel but looking for auto gives you limited PVC options.

Did read somewhere that the Adria PVC comes on a Merc option not sure though.

Love the Autotrail and the Merc Sprintshift but the Comfortmatic gets good reviews so will consider that .

Yeah ,you are right a bit odd maybe....so, a lovely Autotrail Dakota may be for sale come November, will be sad to part with it !

Phil

There is a mystique surrounding the Merc. It is generally believed to be an excellent base vehicle. However, you don't see that many Merc commercial vans around and I have read that fleet operators don't rate them although I am unable to give any specific references.

On the Transit forum for example there are people who have migrated from Mercs to Transit's and Nick on here has said that the Fiat represents the best available fleet vehicle in terms of value for money and running costs. His vehicles do more in one year than many motorhomers do in a lifetime!

One of the main problems with Fiat is their appalling Customer Services and warranty dealings leading to the understandable conclusion that Fiat is not a good base vehicle to own. But most (not all) of us who own a Fiat seem to be generally satisfied and I have not heard anybody state that it is not a brilliant vehicle to drive.

Guest pelmetman
When ever I have a delivery from any of the major carriers DHL etc, they all seem to use the Merc Sprinter, don't know whether its because they buy so many that they get a better deal from Mercedes than from Fiat:-S
The carrier I use has Renaults:D...............I have yet to get a delivery in a sevel van, which is a shame as I'd like to ask the driver what he thought of it;-)............... 

I agree, in the UK you can count the amount of Sevel based courier vehicles on the fingers of one hand when travelling on the motorways, Merc's, Transit's and Iveco(which are strangely only Fiats in disguise ?)and lots of Renault Masters, you lose count within minutes. Why is that ?? I agree it is differant in Mainland Europe. Sorry Nick, but the facts speak for themselves.

As for Motorhome converters.... well, they seem to 'Foisting' them on us whether we want them or not ? If they have finally sorted their Reverse gear problems. I might one day be tempted.

But please don't say they are 'The most popular' 'cause we didn't get to vote. There just isn't much other choice. Why aren't 'Iveco's' a more popular converter choice ?? AND PVC's are very expensive in case i get accused of 'wandering' from the Thread's title. Ray ;-)

Mike88 where do you drive ?? As I see differant amounts of vehicle makes to you.

Archived