Cite Europe for overnighting

LordThornber

Just back from a blissful 18 days in France - lovely as ever.

I just thought I'd let those know who may be interested about using Cite Europe for an overnight stay.

We stayed on it Saturday night, arriving 7pm ish. There were about 10 vans and a caravan using the dedicated motorhome parking, which is facing Carrefour. Easy to spot.

Maybe we were tired or because it was Saturday night, (less deliveries?) but we didn't hear any noise at all from vehicles either on the parking or the roads around the parking.

We couldn't see any where to take on water/dispose of/empty toilet but that wasn't an issue for us.

On leaving in the morning we were both surprised and pleased to see a staff member patrolling the parking area.

We'd certainly use it again.

Martyn

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2011-08-08 1:47 PMJust back from a blissful 18 days in France - lovely as ever.I just thought I'd let those know who may be interested about using Cite Europe for an overnight stay.We stayed on it Saturday night, arriving 7pm ish. There were about 10 vans and a caravan using the dedicated motorhome parking, which is facing Carrefour. Easy to spot.Maybe we were tired or because it was Saturday night, (less deliveries?) but we didn't hear any noise at all from vehicles either on the parking or the roads around the parking.We couldn't see any where to take on water/dispose of/empty toilet but that wasn't an issue for us.On leaving in the morning we were both surprised and pleased to see a staff member patrolling the parking area. We'd certainly use it again.Martyn
Glad you had as nice time Martyn:D.........We have stayed there a couple of times this year without problems, and I don't think there are any emptying facilities.
Mind you we never leave the van unattended when we are there;-)

Hi Martyn, we always use the Cite Europe car park going and returning now. Have seen patrols numerous times and we've never been disturbed by either other motorhomers or boy racer types. I thought that area alloted to m/h's was just a car park and they allowed overnight parking, didn't realise it was an "official" aire that had facilities as i'd never seen them or anyone carrying waste recepticles to and from anywhere.Last time we were there (beginning of July) there was a chappie ( i think he was either Belgian or German) sat on a little stool outside the van door cooking something that smelt good on a portable gas ring no-one bothered him or asked him to stop.

Always pleasant to go into Carrefour and look at the booze cruisers.

I seem to remember that you were somewhat sceptical about aires, have you had a rethink? :-D B-) this is a tongue in cheek remark no offence intended.

Or i may have mistaken which is often the case :$

Rog

We parked there last Month, 26th July, I couldn't find any facilities either or anything to indicate that it is an overnight stop over, I would have stayed anyway had I wanted to, but was just visiting, we also called in a Sanagattie good for an overnight on the sea front, just behind the Dunnes, there were 6 vans there that had in fact over nighted, 3 of them Brits, we stayed for the night at the ferry port ticket area as we always do great, ready for our 10 am Ferry, incidedently did you know that the area at the Marina in Calais is now considered part of the Aire and costs 7 Euros to park and a young man calls every hour for the money or leaves a ticket on your van telling you that you must pay at the Camp site, similarly the official Aire at Calais is patrolled hourly by the same young man collecting dues ?? :-D :-D

Stopped there on a few occasions, never troubled by vehicle noise but no facilities - always make sure we arrive with empty waste tank and loo.

Always do our initial shop at Carrefor when going out and our final shop there too when returning. Had a couple of evening meals at the restaurant/pub/bars not bad saves the better half cooking.

We also use Cite Europe each time we go, this Saturday being no exception, we had time on our hands so also went to see Gravelines which was heaving front and back rows. Then called in at the Aire in Calais by the beach, totally packed with people waiting for spaces.

Got to Cite Europe all quiet for the whole night left at 9am with no problems at all as the Lord says. :-D :-D

Mandy

We've used Cite Europe on numerous occasions, never had a problem at all.

There aren't any facilities, it is purely an overnight stop area - if you want facilities the nearest I know of are at the Auchan petrol station in Calais.

Hopesy - 2011-08-08 3:45 PM

I seem to remember that you were somewhat sceptical about aires, have you had a rethink? :-D B-) this is a tongue in cheek remark no offence intended.

Or i may have mistaken which is often the case :$

Rog

Ha ha sceptical Rog? Moi??? :D :D

No it is just a parking area, not an aire a such, I merely put on about the water etc just in case anyone knew different - and they don't.

If I thought I'd find more spots like that and kip as soundly as we did I'd use them a bit more.

Note the word bit.... :D

Martyn

Guest pelmetman
The only bit I would add is when we parked up there at Christmas in thick fog, after we had settled down for the night we both heard a regular thrump noise, we thought it was a railway depot:D
In the morning in bright sunshine spotted the culprit a wind turbine, made us think about having one of these wind farms too close to us at home;-)

Perhaps this is a silly question, but where is this? If it is at Calais, can you explain the directions as we are going there next month and it will be dark when we arrive (free tickets). Normally go from Plymouth and this is a new venture.

Thank you :-S

Having been in the car park many times and seen numerious MH parked up for the night it is obviously a popular spot. Unfortunately the posting in the 3rd edition of the All the Aires book states "Not recommended for overnight parking" Two sides of the park are bounded to the tunnel entry with 10ft security fence topped with razor wire, a further security fence and the middle scaned by CCTV. The third side is the police station and a stated the centre is patrolled by security. Its a wonder the Cite centre management have not requested a withdrawl of this statement as it gives the wrong impression and is far from the truth. Unfortunately the entries in the aires book have to be taken with a pinch of salt but this one is so wrong and degrades the value of the book.

Archived