battery chargers

SJI

I have a split charger in my T4 and all is well, but want to fit battery charger to work when mains hook up is in operation to top up the leisure battery which works lights etc.

Has any wiring diagrammes for such a system?

thanks

Unless your van is a home conversion it should already have a charger which charges the leisure battery when connected to a mains hookup. If it is a DIY conversion then the charger is simple, it connects to the leisure battery via a fuse (near the battery). However it is how you connect your charger to the mains that requires more detail. For example has your van already got a mains hookup to run a few things like lights, heating or the fridge? If so then it should have the necessary RCD and circuit breakers. If not then its a job one should leave to someone qualified to do mains wiring.

Take care

C.

Thanks, my van has mains hook-up with RCD and just a mains socket from that.

The leisure battery is under the front seat and a fuse box nearby with fuses for fridge 12 volt, tap, lights and water pump.

I SIMPLY WOULD LIKE A DIAGRAMME TO PUT IN A BATTER CHARGER ETC. AND TO KNOW WHICH ONE WOULD BE BEST.

SJI - 2011-08-12 8:24 PM

Thanks, my van has mains hook-up with RCD and just a mains socket from that.

The leisure battery is under the front seat and a fuse box nearby with fuses for fridge 12 volt, tap, lights and water pump.

I SIMPLY WOULD LIKE A DIAGRAMME TO PUT IN A BATTER CHARGER ETC. AND TO KNOW WHICH ONE WOULD BE BEST.

Hi Stephen,

I would have thought the simplest solution would be to get a mains powered battery charger, possibly something like this CTEK from Roadpro, and hard wire it to your leisure battery with the supplied lead and then plug it in to your 13A socket when on hook up.

You could even then use it as a stand alone charger with the croc clips for any other battery that you needed to charge.

This is the simplest solution in my book with no mains wiring involved and only the minimum of 12v wiring.

It will be worth talking to Roadpro about the most suitable charger from their range as I have only picked one which I think may do the job.

Keith.

This is what I have done, although I have fitted a connector between the charger and the battery so that I can unplug it when not in use - I was concerned that the charger might put some drain on the battery when my camper is not in use. I have a small Amperor charger that sits between the driver's seat and the handbrake and plugs into the 13A socket. This can also act as a power pack once the battery is charged.

CTEK chargers are more expensive but probably better, and some have the same facility for acting as a power pack - the information is on the Roadpro website. The CTEK MXS 7.0 looks good. I understand that ideally you should aim for a charger at least 10% of the size of the battery so at 7A it would suit a battery up to 70A. It also acts as a power pack.

Archived