Cam belt for peugeot engine

Arvy

Hi All, I have just had my 2004 Elddis Autoquest serviced which is on a peugeot boxer base. The mechanic advised me that I should think about having the cam belt changed because of the age of the vehicle. He said that even though the engine has only done 12,000 miles the belt might start to perish. This has obviously got me thinking particularly as I am about to set off for a 6 week trip over into France, Spain Etc. Does anyone have any comments on this please.

Cheers

Les

If you do a search on this subject you will find a list of recommended cam belt change TIMES as well as mileage that I posted on another thread (too long to do it again), yours is well over due especially as the motorhome use comes under the 'Arduous Use' requirement. Your mechanic has given you very sound advice.

In the words of a well known film character, do you feel lucky punk!!

Bas

Good advise. My MH just over 5 years old and recommended that belt be changed in service manual at this time. Had belt changed before I went to France this year and it gave me so much more peace of mind.

Many have run well over this time and mileage but it's sods law so better safe than sorry.

I have not checked but wonder if my breakdown cover would have been invalid if not done as vehicle not properly maintained?

Arvy - 2011-08-09 11:05 AM

Hi All, I have just had my 2004 Elddis Autoquest serviced which is on a peugeot boxer base. The mechanic advised me that I should think about having the cam belt changed because of the age of the vehicle. He said that even though the engine has only done 12,000 miles the belt might start to perish. This has obviously got me thinking particularly as I am about to set off for a 6 week trip over into France, Spain Etc. Does anyone have any comments on this please.

Cheers

Les

From what I recall of previous discussions on this subject the consensus was that it's a good idea to change the belt after 5 years or about 50,000 miles.

( Replaced mine after 6 years).

There's always someone who will disagree - quoting that their van or car has circled the world three times on the same belt - but to my mind they are just gamblers, who were lucky, and won.

;-)

As a matter of interest I wonder how many owners have had the belt break? I know a gentleman who works for a German car maker, he travels the world type approving cam belts, he says that belts are put through tests on engines untill 300,000 under every condition, start stop, load etc and a belt will go that length. He comments that belts breaking are the result of them being changed and fitted wrongly, or work having been carried out on the engine where ingress of dirt has taken place, badly fitted cover etc, He went on to say that it is one of the biggest confidence tricks to get people to change belts, and in his opinion if an engine has the original belt he would not change it? (?)

The man that you are quoting (if you are quoting him accurately) is a buffoon!

It is perfectly true that belts are engineered and tested to last far beyond their intended replacement cycles and so for that matter are the idlers and tensioners that are fitted with them but when you multiply the risk of a manufacturing defect, corrosion or wear by two or three components then factor in dusty environments, other fluid contamination and good old fashioned hard use into the equation that is why more prudent intervals are recommended.

Anyone that is openly suggesting playing a game of russian roulette with your engine or pointing the finger of blame at a mechanic who changed the belt last is nothing more than an imbecile.

I have used strong language here to make sure that anyone that reads this will remember this statement as opposed to the irresponsible drivel that preceeded it. Don't take it personally deerhound; I believe I am not quoting you, yourself.

Nick

PS, Yes, I have had belts break before and shortly after they were scheduled to be replaced for the first time but more common are failed tensioners and belts with missing teeth! All very bad for the health of an engine!

Guest pelmetman
Just having the belts changed on my Rover Sterling..................£4508-)...............It's more than the cars worth(lol)(lol)

Living next door to a motor engineer I have heard, and seen for myself, the end result of broken cam belts. Two that stick in mind were a Renault Megane and a Vauxhall Insignia both written off because the customer couldn't or wouldn't pay for the replacement engine as it was in excess of what was considered economic value of the car.

So far as I am concerned it is each to his own but if you gamble and lose it won't be cheap. But please don't believe it does not happen just because someone tells you it won't when there is ample evidence (trawl the net) it does. The main reason that you don't hear of problems is that most sensible people have the work done as advised by the manufacturers and the people that service their vehicles.

As a point in question I have just had ours changed for the third time under my ownership and one of the idler wheels was at a point where it was showing signs of wear (you could feel the grateing of the bearing), and that was a genuine part. For the sake of £150 it just is not worth the risk.

Bas

If only it WAS just £150 !! I have just had a quote from a Peugeot dealership to change the cambelt on my 2005 Peugeot 2.2 motorhome £456, plus another £250 for a 'B' service and another £40.00 for the MOT. That's £746.... Is this too much ?? would i be better going to an Independant garage ?

provided he used genuine parts ?? anyone else had similar done ? and at what cost ?

(Peugeot say the Cambelt SHOULD last 10 Years !! but of course don't guarantee that.) Ray (?)

Rayjsj - 2011-08-09 4:57 PM

If only it WAS just £150 !! I have just had a quote from a Peugeot dealership to change the cambelt on my 2005 Peugeot 2.2 motorhome £456, plus another £250 for a 'B' service and another £40.00 for the MOT. That's £746.... Is this too much ?? would i be better going to an Independant garage ?

provided he used genuine parts ?? anyone else had similar done ? and at what cost ?

(Peugeot say the Cambelt SHOULD last 10 Years !! but of course don't guarantee that.) Ray (?)

You will always pay over the odds if you use a main stealer. Get some quotes from some independants, ours was £150. Not sure about the 2.2 later engine though I do know that the 2.8 JTD is not a great deal dearer than ours at our independant.

As regards Peugeot saying it should last 10 years or 96000 miles bear in mind that is for 'Normal' use, whereas it is generally accepted that motorhomes should use the adverse condition scale so 5 years or 80000 miles this is of course for the vehicles that use the 12000 mile service interval not the 20000 mile service interval which has the same time interval but less milage allowance.

Bas

The belt on my wifes car broke because I never got round to replacing it. We got off lightly with only five out of the twelve valves being bent but it still cost me over 300 quid to put right and the car was off the road for a week, none of that £300 was labour either as I did the work myself, well all but the head skim and presure test. I totally agree with Nick, the man who told you all that was talking out of his bumhole!

D.

Had the belt changed on my wife's car by a local mobile guy, recommend him to a friend cost for a Fiat 2.8JTD was £140 or £170 including tensioners.

I used a BT Fleet garage to change my Fiat cambelt and they charged less than half of the Fiat dealer quote.

Their contact details and garage sites are given in this link:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24244&posts=2

Give them a call you have nothing to lose

Guest pelmetman
Dave Newell - 2011-08-09 5:33 PMThe belt on my wifes car broke because I never got round to replacing it. We got off lightly with only five out of the twelve valves being bent but it still cost me over 300 quid to put right and the car was off the road for a week, none of that £300 was labour either as I did the work myself

Ha Ha Ha Dave:D...........Sounds like the cobblers kids who run round with no shoes, my old man was a hairdresser and we had the worst haircuts as he let the apprentices practice on us8-)........I'm surprised I've still got both ears(lol).............as in those days they still used cut throat razors;-)

I had the belt changed on my 3004 Fiat Autorail Tracker 2 litre engine at the main dealer, the total cost for a full service, supply and fit belt and tensioning kit.

They did a wonderful job even fitted new engine mounting bolts the charge was £650 which they said was a bargain as they had quoted a fixed price. Apparently the parts for the 2004 model 2 lltr engine are much more expensive than later models and had to ordered from Italy.

The belt kit alone cost £170. I was very happy with the work, the engine ran much smoother and I get 2 mpg more than I did before the change.

I asked when I should have it changed again and he said 70000 miles or two years whichever comes first.

I dont think so!!!!

Hi,
Take his advice and change the belt and running gear with same. Where will all the guys be that say      "Ah no need, they will do X amount more" ? Not to be found I am afraid if the belt breaks and engine wrecked. Way to big a risk to take. Hope you have a lovely Holiday.
Regards,
Brendan

mikemelson - 2011-08-09 9:37 PM

I was told by my local Peugeot main dealer where I have my van serviced, that the belt on my 2004 boxer should be changed after 8 years. So I will have the belt done during next year's service

Hmmm! Just looked through every variant of Boxer and there is not one listed that states it should be changed after 8 years, they only list 5 or 10 years and varying milages.

Wonder which peice of air that figure was plucked out from!!

Bas

Have been quoted £600 for cam-belt replacement with all other belts etc., and Water Pump, and a 'B' (big?) service, all filters,brake fluid,anti-freeze etc., and an MOT. £150 less than the main Dealer,

AND he's a local independant. Using original Peugeot parts. not a bad deal IMHO. ?

Ray

Basil - 2011-08-10 4:24 PM

mikemelson - 2011-08-09 9:37 PM

I was told by my local Peugeot main dealer where I have my van serviced, that the belt on my 2004 boxer should be changed after 8 years. So I will have the belt done during next year's service

Hmmm! Just looked through every variant of Boxer and there is not one listed that states it should be changed after 8 years, they only list 5 or 10 years and varying milages.

Wonder which peice of air that figure was plucked out from!!

Bas

I think 8 years is the interpretation by my local main dealer (Waters of Chingford) of the directive from head office.

If you want to change it, do so. No point in asking us about it.You must be nervous about not doing it, to be asking for opinions. You know if you don't, you will always be worried that it could go at any time.Just make sure you go to a reputable garage to have the work done and that they use a good quality repair kit. Also ask for the old parts back, placed in the box from th new parts. It's not easy to know if the've done the work or not so put a few paint marks round some of the screws that they will have to remove.

Cliffy - 2011-08-09 10:35 PM

I had the belt changed on my 3004 Fiat Autorail Tracker 2 litre engine at the main dealer, the total cost for a full service, supply and fit belt and tensioning kit.

They did a wonderful job even fitted new engine mounting bolts the charge was £650 which they said was a bargain as they had quoted a fixed price. Apparently the parts for the 2004 model 2 lltr engine are much more expensive than later models and had to ordered from Italy.

The belt kit alone cost £170. I was very happy with the work, the engine ran much smoother and I get 2 mpg more than I did before the change.

I asked when I should have it changed again and he said 70000 miles or two years whichever comes first.

I dont think so!!!!

I bet he did, so he can cop another 650 of your pounds. 2 Yrs, my a*se.

Our van has the 2.8td engine.

The Peugeot dealer originally said that the recommended change was 9 years, 90,000 miles.

But a couple of years ago they told me that they, the garage, had changed the recommendation to 5 years, 50,000 miles.

The reason for this was that they had a couple of belts break on them whilst doing MOT checks- and had to cover the costs themselves as the vans were still within their recommended period.

Belt and braces maybe.

That sounds like garbage to me. All mot stations testing diesels have a disclaimer notice posted on their premises. Bit short of work are they?. It might just be due for a new belt and tensioners, due to age, but not for the reasons stated.

Nothing can bet peace of mine ,brought a van 2 years ago ,it was a 04 plate with 11.000 on clock so 5 years old .Was pretty sure that it was for sale on forecourt for at least 6 months .

Was told by Peugot 70000 miles recommended replace or 7 years.As we where looking to do a tour of Wales I decided to get the belt replaced .Cost was £350.00 but well worth it ,have in the past have seen the damage a broken belt can do .

Archived