sat nav

moanddave

Can anyone suggest a good sat nav for motorhome/car use please? At present we have a built in Alpine but the disc is 2003 and out of date and unfortunately the new disc is 2006, very expensive and they are not updating any more. We are looking to buy a stand alone system. We cannot have the Ventura as it does not download via Apple MacBook so we need a system compatible with Apple. Would be grateful for any help.

We use Tom Tom (ours is a 730 GO). It works OK with lots of POI available (many of them for free) and updated maps cost circa £85 for 4 x 3 month updates and cover all Western Europe. The cost of maps does vary a bit throughout the year and if you are patient and wait for the 'offer' times, then they can be lots cheaper; for example we paid approx £35 quite recently for a 6 x 3 month Western Europe set.

edited to show map costs.

I agree with Spospe, I have an 'Ageing' TOM-Tom one ('new' version ?) which does everything I need, it doesn't have the 'truck dimensions' of some of the latest versions, which would be handy, but in all other respects, easily downloadable POI's, map upgrades (wait for the 'offers'), and a good website, which I connect mine upto every month for updating.

I wouldn't spend money on 'Built in' systems as they age faster than the car, and are usually stupidly expensive compared to the portable one's. For me, It's Tom-Tom every time. But others swear by Garmin. don't know, no experience of them. Ray

I bought my first sat-nav (a Garmin nuvi 1340) earlier this year, mainly in the hope that it would reduce marital disharmony in our motorhome’s cab. The 1340 was fairly cheap, got good reviews for an entry-level unit and (after a fashion) has proved worth having.

In practice, it rapidly became evident that a sat-nav wasn’t what I really needed. What I REALLY needed was a human rally-style navigator in the passenger-seat with an up-to-date large-scale map, a set of pace notes, and a temperament just like mine – essentially, I needed a Derek Uzzell clone doing the map reading while I did the driving. (My wife doesn’t drive our motorhome, so don’t suggest that as an option!)

I’ve no interest in sat-nav bells-and-whistles (POIs, eco-driving information, vehicle dimension-related features, etc.) and (if I could) I’d like to be able to disable some of the 1340’s standard features. I’d also like the thing to select naturally a route that I consider rational, rather than me trying to fight the thing into submission. I suspect that, as far as route-planning is concerned, I need a more sophisticated sat-nav model: on the other hand, if I had a more sophisticated model, it’s likely that it would be even more exasperating to program than the 1340.

It was obvious from our first trip to France with the nuvi 1340 that the mapping was well out of date. Subsequently carrying out free update available via the Garmin website was not without trauma. I downloaded the update rather than be sent a disk and the process (after several hours using our slowish broadband connection and quite possibly due to my own ham-fistedness) failed. Having discussed what best to do next with Garmin’s UK help-desk, a pessimistically-begun second attempt (taking about 4 hours if I remember correctly) worked OK. Anyway, the main point is that I use an Apple iMac, so it’s reasonable to assume that all current Garmin sat-navs are Apple-compatible.

We have been using a Garmin Nuvi 760T since 2008. I have subscribed to Garmin's lifetime map updates (currently £75) that gives you 4 map updates per year for the lifetime of your device. I agree with Derek that it is a very long-winded process, and you certainly wouldn't want to update more often unless you are a techno-masochist! :-) Each map update is larger than its predecessor, so ability to "span" maps onto an SD card is pretty much essential if you want the full Europe set, meaning sat-navs without an SD or similar card slot, aren't really suited to more than one map update.

It is a solid, well built feeling, unit that seems to pick up its satellites, and hold them, without difficulty. I have no problem hearing the audio navigation prompts from the built-in speaker from its position on a dash mount. Screen is very clear, and automatically switches to night-time view in dim light. It has lane guidance, which I find invaluable on busy roads and/or complex motorway junctions. Personally, I wouldn't repeat what I thought would be its greatest benefit - a built-in VHF transmitter that can send the audio prompts via the car radio and its speakers. This turns out to be useless in Europe with its plethora of local stations, one of which is always using the same wavelength as the Nuvi just as you get to the difficult bit, so instead of getting audio guidance, you get French (or whatever) pop! :-(

The "T" bit signifies that it comes with a lifetime subscription to traffic warnings. My experience is that you either hit the jam before the warning gets through, or you get the warning but the jam has dissipated. No, I wouldn't pay extra for this, but I wouldn't reject a device that came with it if it suited in other respects.

It has no facility to enter vehicle dimensions, and I am still undecided whether this is worth paying for. Garmin have two such devices, a Nuvi "Truck" and a Dezl. One user reports that the Nuvi truck version merely prioritises routes via main roads, often engaging in long detours from the obvious route to achieve this.

My understanding is that the current mapping (irrespective of make or model of sat nav) only contains data regarding legal restrictions on vehicle width or weight, with height restrictions being recorded as physical limits. So, routing down narrow roads remains a possibility, where the road does not carry a legal vehicle width restriction. Many rural, and remote, roads do not.

So far as I know, the mapping on whatever you buy will come from one of two sources. TeleAtlas, owned and used by TomTom (and possibly licenced to others) or NavTeq, owned by Nokia and licenced to Garmin, Snooper, and I think NavMan, among others. I don't think there is much difference between the two in terms of coverage, or accuracy/quality of the mapping they supply.

So, how satisfactorily the unit performs, will depend more on the cleverness, or otherwise, of the routing logic designed by the device maker, than on anything else. Many of the bells and whistles merely add cost rather than navigational functionality. Buying a recent model is probably wise, just to get the latest version of operating system and routing logic. If you then want it as a photo album, for "reading" audio books, as a mobile phone speaker, or whatever, fine, but it won't get you where you want to go any better than a more basic version of the same model, it'll just cost you more.

Hi Moanddave,

I am also looking to update my satnav, after interminable trawls through all the forums, reviews, I think I have narrowed the choice done to 2 models.

1. the TomTom Start Europe 25.

2. Garmin nuvi 2460LT.

Both have 5" screens, spoken street names and a micro SD card slot, and Euro maps, which are the most desirable features for me.

If I may make use of your thread to ask if anybody has experience of either model,

We are getting a bit more use out of our TomTom 125, but still early stages. Last weekend it worked but it takes some patience to get right IMO. On outward journey it was ok as we just needed to arive ASAP. On return wanted to plan route with two waymarks, this seems to be imposible, one waymark only. Also the live services did not know about a blocked road, and this was obvoisly a long term blockage, also one strange thing, at Cirencester voice guidance told me keep on A429 for x miles, but mapping showed (correctly) to go along A4424, how does that happen?

At least now we can both blame the sat nav :D

Afraid it's horses for courses but my recommendation would be Tim Tom Go 1005. Great bit of kit and very easy to read use and update no trauma's whatsoever.

Bas

P.s. Not overly expensive either, less than I paid for my first TT Go720 five years ago see

http://www.dontbuy4more.co.uk/prices/tomtom-go-1005-live-satnav-13912.php?ad_id=8052313927&kw=TomTom%20go%201005&src=13912&dfad=50&gclid=CJKL8v6FxaoCFQhP4QodQ2ov4g

pkc - 2011-08-10 1:06 PM

... spoken street names and a micro SD card slot, and Euro maps, which are the most desirable features for me...

It needs to be remembered that "spoken street names" are 'constructed' by the sat-nav's software and, if my Garmin nuvi 1340 is representative of the breed, may be unintelligible when the street name (or destination) has a non-English pronunciation.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-08-10 9:17 AM

I bought my first sat-nav (a Garmin nuvi 1340) earlier this year, mainly in the hope that it would reduce marital disharmony in our motorhome’s cab. The 1340 was fairly cheap, got good reviews for an entry-level unit and (after a fashion) has proved worth having.

In practice, it rapidly became evident that a sat-nav wasn’t what I really needed. What I REALLY needed was a human rally-style navigator in the passenger-seat with an up-to-date large-scale map, a set of pace notes, and a temperament just like mine – essentially, I needed a Derek Uzzell clone doing the map reading while I did the driving. (My wife doesn’t drive our motorhome, so don’t suggest that as an option!)

I’ve no interest in sat-nav bells-and-whistles (POIs, eco-driving information, vehicle dimension-related features, etc.) and (if I could) I’d like to be able to disable some of the 1340’s standard features. I’d also like the thing to select naturally a route that I consider rational, rather than me trying to fight the thing into submission. I suspect that, as far as route-planning is concerned, I need a more sophisticated sat-nav model: on the other hand, if I had a more sophisticated model, it’s likely that it would be even more exasperating to program than the 1340.

It was obvious from our first trip to France with the nuvi 1340 that the mapping was well out of date. Subsequently carrying out free update available via the Garmin website was not without trauma. I downloaded the update rather than be sent a disk and the process (after several hours using our slowish broadband connection and quite possibly due to my own ham-fistedness) failed. Having discussed what best to do next with Garmin’s UK help-desk, a pessimistically-begun second attempt (taking about 4 hours if I remember correctly) worked OK. Anyway, the main point is that I use an Apple iMac, so it’s reasonable to assume that all current Garmin sat-navs are Apple-compatible.

Flippin Eck Derek...Someone else who thinks along the same lines as me..An old fashioned map and map reader..not putting all your faith in this sat nav thingy..I have one but purely for back up..I taught 'er indoors how to map read correctly and boy is she good at it...a woman with spacial awareness how nice...On a holiday to France a couple of years ago I met up with my sister and her friends on a site on the Vendee coast for a few days before moving inland as they were having some track racing time at Val de Vien near Poitiers doing some motor bike racing..Before we left I got my large scale France map and asked where this place was as they had all been before one of my sisters friends started saying input this into you sat nav..I said give me a grid reference (Me I'm ex HM Forces) so they showed me on the map where it was ..no worries i said I'll see you all there then..they were tuggers and me I'm a dyed in the wool M/Homer...Long story short we stopped 3 times ..Twice for a brew and once to do some shopping in a very large Le Clerc we saw..well we needed some beer for the BBQs when we arrived they were already there setting up awnings and the like..we rolled up parked in a pitch put a brew on..My sister asked me how much we payed on the Peage I told her we never went on it so all N Routes,,she said we all followed Dean..(Computer geek and So called sat Nav genius) and we paid on the Peage and they had only been there 10 minutes in front of us so I showed her on the map our route..then she showed me their route...They did go the looooong way...Moral of story look at map first then decide..they even turned the wrong way out of the site whe we left to go to Val de Vien!!

Like Moanddave

I'm currently looking to get a new sat Nav, (SWMBO insists i get an updated unit as i keep going across fields) Our TomTom One has a very small internal memory & it's capacity will not take the upgrade maps.TomTom were unable to offer a solution- so beware if you have an internal memory model.

There is no way I will ever consider any Sat Nav without a SD Card Memory, in future.

Checking around it appears that the recently released TomTom Caravan version of the GO7000 (a cheaper version of the TomTom Truck, without the Fleet facilities) is not currently available.

I found a smaller screen version of the Snooper Ventura S7000 Truck, which brings the price to a more acceptable level.

Has anyone experience of this unit, or know of any User reviews.

Snooper S900 Truckmate LITE UK and Europe

Latest 2011 Model - Snooper S900 Truckmate LITE UK and Europe is a completely unique sat nav system designed specially for caravan and motorhome use. Snooper S900 Truckmate LITE UK and Europe allows you to input the length, width and weight of your vehicle and will then only calculate routes that are practical and safe, avoiding low bridges and narrow roads plus, where possible roads that are unsuitable for larger vehicles.

Snooper S900 Truckmate LITE UK and Europe features an 4.3-inch display and is preloaded with NAVTEQ street-level mapping for UK and Europe.

Snooper S900 Truckmate LITE UK and Europe Technical Specification

Technology: GPS

Display: 4.3-inch, TFT LCD

Processor:

GPS Receiver:

Memory:

SDRAM:

Memory Card:

Speaker:

Power: 12-24 volt DC in-vehicle power socket

Battery:

Installation: Plug and play

http://www.activegps.co.uk/snooper-s900-truckmate-lite-europe.htm

Just remember the special and expensive truck versions that allow you to put the dimensions in are only as good as the mapping data available which at the present time is somewhat less than ideal though the companies that provide the mapping are working to improve the situation so they will get better.

We manage perfectly well with a three year old Tom Tom that came with two years free map updating. One just has to use a bit of common sense. Take a look on a map before you set out to see where you are going. If it tries to take a short cut by sending you down a small road ignore it and continue on the main road. It will then work out a new and hopefully more suitable rout.

Main problem I have is the wife who tells me "I wouldn't have turned down there" just after I've turned or when it is too late to change my mind.

An update on TomTom 125

Well I have had a second atempt to get "latest map garentee", at last it worked, best part of an hour was spent trying to get unit and computer to reconise each other, then a seven (thats right SEVEN) hour download, went out and left it to it, then a restart and a further 30mins download. Now have latest maps and speed camera's and an update that allows 4 waypoints :-)

Another point not often mentioned is the display of speed limit, this I find handy as sometimes if going from urban to countryside eviovoment or similier I wonder if I've missed a speed sign, the unit seems fairly good at displaying this

I was bought a Tom Tom IQ routes last year for my retirement pressie, I thought I did not need one but I would not be without it now it navigated us around Scotland last year for two weeks and around France (including Paris) for 4 weeks this year. I am so pleased with it I bought one (£114.99 fron Halfords) for my daughter who also did not want one but soon learnt to love it. They provide a free downloaded upto date map within 30 days of purchase. The speed camera warnings and the exceeding road speed limit are excellent. Worth the cost of the Tom Tom itself.

Cliffy - 2011-08-15 7:53 PM

I was bought a Tom Tom IQ routes last year for my retirement pressie, I thought I did not need one but I would not be without it now it navigated us around Scotland last year for two weeks and around France (including Paris) for 4 weeks this year. I am so pleased with it I bought one (£114.99 fron Halfords) for my daughter who also did not want one but soon learnt to love it. They provide a free downloaded upto date map within 30 days of purchase. The speed camera warnings and the exceeding road speed limit are excellent. Worth the cost of the Tom Tom itself.

If you go to France again (or most of Europe inc. Ireland) make sure you disable the 'Speed Camera' POI's as they have outlawed them over there, with threats of confiscation !!! (I'd like to see them try, my docile Labrador turns VERY nasty if somone 'uninvited' tries to enter the cab). I find the POI's the BEST things about Tom-Tom's, I can find the cheapest Diesel (supermarkets) wherever I go, and even plan the route to include them, also National Trust Houses (for the Cafe's) Etc., and I always switch the ladies voice off, one Woman moaning at me is quite enough. ;-) Ray

I have a sat nav in car purely for business use when I have no idea were I am.

Untill recently I had one in MH and it had a "wagon" setting..........it was useless, sent me down numerous narrow lanes. About 5 weeks ago it got me stuck in northumberland so I ripped it offf the dashboard and threw it to the back of the MH swearing never ever to use sat nav in a MH again and that if mrs ips wanted a present idea for my impending birthday then a decent road atlas would be most beneficial.

Luckily I didnt break it so gave it to mini ips as she moves to Windsor next weekend to start new job and she can just about find her way out of our drive way without getting lost.

So ..... sat nav in my opinion is a waste ot space in a MH apart from maybe city centre's, much better to plan your route on a map, that way you can decide which route to take, motorway, A roads, the scenic coastal rote etc etc and you can ensure that you dont go down a country lane.

ips - 2011-08-16 9:16 AM

So ..... sat nav in my opinion is a waste ot space in a MH apart from maybe city centre's, much better to plan your route on a map, that way you can decide which route to take, motorway, A roads, the scenic coastal rote etc etc and you can ensure that you dont go down a country lane.

Having a sat nav doesn't mean you don't/can't plan your route, it's just anough tool. I've been using mine in conjuction with map, although you can use it's own maps IMO it's much easier to use Philips Navigator atlas to overview route.

IMO it's much easier to use Philips Navigator atlas to overview route.

Agreed, I use an AA atlas.

I may stick my tom tom in the MH for the next two weekends when we go down to windsor moving mini ips down to her new job, as I am not confident to find the place yet. :-D

Rayjsj - 2011-08-15 8:13 PM

If you go to France again (or most of Europe inc. Ireland) make sure you disable the 'Speed Camera' POI's as they have outlawed them over there, with threats of confiscation !!! (I'd like to see them try, my docile Labrador turns VERY nasty if somone 'uninvited' tries to enter the cab). I find the POI's the BEST things about Tom-Tom's, I can find the cheapest Diesel (supermarkets) wherever I go, and even plan the route to include them, also National Trust Houses (for the Cafe's) Etc., and I always switch the ladies voice off, one Woman moaning at me is quite enough. ;-) Ray

This has been discused before and I believe the definitive answer was that POI camera databases ARE allowed in France only radar detectors are not, the following seems to confirm this, see

http://english.controleradar.org/speed-camera-detector.php

I can find no referance to any where else in Europe that has an outright ban on POI databases either so could you direct me to where you obtained your information please?

Bas

Archived