sat nav

moanddave

ips - 2011-08-16 9:16 AM

So ..... sat nav in my opinion is a waste ot space in a MH apart from maybe city centre's, much better to plan your route on a map, that way you can decide which route to take, motorway, A roads, the scenic coastal rote etc etc and you can ensure that you dont go down a country lane.

Every one is entitled to their opinion but I could not disagree more. The TomTom Go we have is absolutely brilliant and one of, if not the, best thing we have ever invested in apart from the motorhome itself. Clearly it is a 'tool' and should be regarded as such, as the old saying says 'a bad workman always blames his tools'.

In the same way that if you have a cruise control it does not mean you can get up and make a cup of tea, or a radar braking device doesn't remove your need to think ahead a Sat Nav needs to be used with a bit of Mk1 Brain,

We only ever use the TT and it has never let us down, in fact we have not bought any new maps since we started using TT back in, if I remember correctly, 2004.

For a more Authoritive response that should really be the definitive answer, this is a page from the French Embassy site see,

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Cannonball-racers-arrested-by-the.html#outil_sommaire

Bas

P.S. I have also found the following that says in Germany you must deactivate the speed camera notifications but you can still use the GPS unit see,

http://www.germany-tourism.co.uk/EGB/practical_information/13597_13602.htm

seems a bit loose as at the start of the paragraph it says GPS units are not permitted!!

Clearly it is a 'tool' and should be regarded as such, as the old saying says 'a bad workman always blames his tools'.

With respect its not the workmans fault if the stupid sat nav sends him down a road that narrows to the point of being unpassable even though said workman set the stupid thing to only route find for a "wagon" :-D

Basil - 2011-08-16 1:20 PM For a more Authoritative response that should really be the definitive answer, this is a page from the French Embassy site see, http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Cannonball-racers-arrested-by-the.html#outil_sommaire Bas

Never tell the full truth if it upsets your argument :D If you read the article it goes on to say:-

""This legislation does not apply to satellite navigation systems (SatNav or GPS). These can tell motorists only the location of fixed speed cameras, data which is already in the public domain.""

This is exactly what a GPS (sat-nav) system does and is thus legal, even the French authorities publish the location of fixed 'Safety' Cameras.

What is illegal here are radar detectors (to locate/warn of Mobile cameras). Big fine if you use, big fine if you speed none of which applies to sensible M/H'ers:-)

Fair point, however our one has no setting for 'wagon' and as it is generally accepted that the available mapping (there are only two providers of mapping) is not capable of determining road widths to the level required, this workman works within the capability of the tool. :-D

Perhaps your tool is not fit for the purpose it is being put to or even sold for! B-)

Bas

Retread24800 - 2011-08-17 12:24 PM

Never tell the full truth if it upsets your argument :D If you read the article it goes on to say:-

""This legislation does not apply to satellite navigation systems (SatNav or GPS). These can tell motorists only the location of fixed speed cameras, data which is already in the public domain.""

This is exactly what a GPS (sat-nav) system does and is thus legal, even the French authorities publish the location of fixed 'Safety' Cameras.

What is illegal here are radar detectors (to locate/warn of Mobile cameras). Big fine if you use, big fine if you speed none of which applies to sensible M/H'ers:-)

Not quite sure what you mean by your first sentance as I was saying exactly what you have just said, it was an earlier post by Rayjsj that suggested otherwise!!!! 8-) Bas

Basil - 2011-08-16 11:44 AM

Rayjsj - 2011-08-15 8:13 PM

If you go to France again (or most of Europe inc. Ireland) make sure you disable the 'Speed Camera' POI's as they have outlawed them over there, with threats of confiscation !!! (I'd like to see them try, my docile Labrador turns VERY nasty if somone 'uninvited' tries to enter the cab). I find the POI's the BEST things about Tom-Tom's, I can find the cheapest Diesel (supermarkets) wherever I go, and even plan the route to include them, also National Trust Houses (for the Cafe's) Etc., and I always switch the ladies voice off, one Woman moaning at me is quite enough. ;-) Ray

This has been discused before and I believe the definitive answer was that POI camera databases ARE allowed in France only radar detectors are not, the following seems to confirm this, see

http://english.controleradar.org/speed-camera-detector.php

I can find no referance to any where else in Europe that has an outright ban on POI databases either so could you direct me to where you obtained your information please?

Bas

I am sure that I read it in an article in the MMM magazine, But can't remember which month ?(or year !)

I am one of those boring people who still have them all, back to 2004, and occasionally re-read them

If only to Dream of when you could buy a New van for under £30,000 !! so, not sure.

I must admit I thought it seemed Draconian when i read it, and thought it would be a difficult thing to 'Police'. But then I think the latest ' Compulsory Daytime Driving lights' is Stupid as well, hopefully that will prove to be a 'Myth' as well ??. Ray

Basil - 2011-08-17 12:42 PM

Fair point, however our one has no setting for 'wagon' and as it is generally accepted that the available mapping (there are only two providers of mapping) is not capable of determining road widths to the level required, this workman works within the capability of the tool. :-D

Perhaps your tool is not fit for the purpose it is being put to or even sold for! B-)

Bas

You may be right, I am going to try my Tom Tom which has no "wagon" setting and see if that works any better, works ok in the car.

Rayjsj - 2011-08-17 2:57 PM

Basil - 2011-08-16 11:44 AM

Rayjsj - 2011-08-15 8:13 PM

If you go to France again (or most of Europe inc. Ireland) make sure you disable the 'Speed Camera' POI's as they have outlawed them over there, with threats of confiscation !!! (I'd like to see them try, my docile Labrador turns VERY nasty if somone 'uninvited' tries to enter the cab). I find the POI's the BEST things about Tom-Tom's, I can find the cheapest Diesel (supermarkets) wherever I go, and even plan the route to include them, also National Trust Houses (for the Cafe's) Etc., and I always switch the ladies voice off, one Woman moaning at me is quite enough. ;-) Ray

This has been discused before and I believe the definitive answer was that POI camera databases ARE allowed in France only radar detectors are not, the following seems to confirm this, see

http://english.controleradar.org/speed-camera-detector.php

I can find no referance to any where else in Europe that has an outright ban on POI databases either so could you direct me to where you obtained your information please?

Bas

I am sure that I read it in an article in the MMM magazine, But can't remember which month ?(or year !)

I am one of those boring people who still have them all, back to 2004, and occasionally re-read them

If only to Dream of when you could buy a New van for under £30,000 !! so, not sure.

I must admit I thought it seemed Draconian when i read it, and thought it would be a difficult thing to 'Police'. But then I think the latest ' Compulsory Daytime Driving lights' is Stupid as well, hopefully that will prove to be a 'Myth' as well ??. Ray

Basil,

Found It ! but not in a past copy of MMM (although I'm sure it's in one somewhere ?) Caravan Club Europe book 1 page 67 (2011 edition) and i Quote : Some countries also ban the use of GPS satellite navigation devices which pinpoint the posistion of fixed cameras and you MUST therfore deactivate the relevent Points of Interest (POI) Function. Unquote. They don't state which Countries though.

So if the CClub are to be believed disabling it would be wise.

Ray

Basil, Found It ! but not in a past copy of MMM (although I'm sure it's in one somewhere ?) Caravan Club Europe book 1 page 67 (2011 edition) and i Quote : Some countries also ban the use of GPS satellite navigation devices which pinpoint the posistion of fixed cameras and you MUST therfore deactivate the relevent Points of Interest (POI) Function. Unquote. They don't state which Countries though. So if the CClub are to be believed disabling it would be wise. Ray

Not what the CC say on line but they do tend to publish a lot,so its hard for them to both check that you are parking in regimented lines and get their facts right.

Their on line service gives a very different picture see help leaflet here and I quote:-

"" nearly all European countries it is illegal to use car navigation systems which actively search for mobile speed cameras or interfere with police equipment (laser or radar detection).

Car navigation systems which give a warning of fixed speed camera locations are legal in most countries with the exception of Germany, Ireland and Switzerland where this function must be de-activated""

But I'm not sure if I even agree with the last point.

ips - 2011-08-18 12:05 PM
You may be right, I am going to try my Tom Tom which has no "wagon" setting and see if that works any better, works ok in the car.

The TomTom will work in an identical manner whether in the car or in the motorhome - the difference will be whether you take its advice or not. In some cases this would be a 'yes' for the car but a definite 'no' for the motorhome. 

We use a map alongside our TomTom and i usually check the TT planned route against the map before we start and 'force' a particular waypoint if I deem necessary. 

Spot on Bolly boy!!!

Personally I believe the dedicated truck/Motorhome Sat-navs are a waste of money and seeing some of the earlier posts just confirms that view, If you are worried about Height restrictions (certainly here in France) then visit GPS Passion for suitable POI's F.O.C.

Archived