fridge not working on 12v

malcy

i have an Ace Milano 2003 with a faulty fridge. The 240v & gas are functioning normally but the 12v isn't. It is either the 12v element or simply a fuse. Does anyone with a Milano end kitchen know were the fuse for the fridge is located. Living in hopes. Malcy

Hi Malcom

We have a 2006 Sundance, with end kitchen

The fuse for the fridge on ours is near to the battery. Is the light working (in Fridge?) On ours the same circuit includes the 12v plug in the wall cupboard (For TV) You should have a wiring diagram in the book supplied by Swift.

PJay

PJay - 2011-08-10 2:12 PM

Hi Malcom

We have a 2006 Sundance, with end kitchen

The fuse for the fridge on ours is near to the battery. Is the light working (in Fridge?) On ours the same circuit includes the 12v plug in the wall cupboard (For TV) You should have a wiring diagram in the book supplied by Swift.

PJay

There will be two 12V supplies. The interior light, and the AES selection circuitry if it is an AES fridge, will be fed from the habitation battery. The fridge element is fed from the alternator/starter battery, but only when the engine is running. A relay controls power to this circuit, and is energised from the alternator. No alternator power = no power to fridge.

Thanks for the replies so far.

My fridge is an electrolux RM6270 with manual energy selection & doesn't have an interior light. I returned from Whitby a journey of three hours so I know for sure that it's not working on 12 volts. I have the swift handbook which is very comprehensive in most respects but unfortunately doesn't have a wiring diagram. PJay when you say your fuse is near the battery can you be more specific I've looked but not found one yet .

Thanks for your help so far everyone, keep the ideas coming.

Was the fridge cold before you left on your 3 hour journey?

I don't think it will actually cool if you just turn on the 12 volt system, but as I understand will merely hold the temperature it was at previously.

To cool the temperature of the fridge, my understanding is that it needs to be on 230 volt hook up or gas, but I may be wrong! (?)

Thanks for your input everyone.

The fault with my fridge was simply a fuse {it was always going to be that or the element) but my problem was locating it.

On the bulkhead under the bonnet are three more fuses accessed by removing a black plastic cover held on by two 10mm nuts. The blue 15amp fuse had blown, which incidentally controls the automatic retraction of the electric step, I replaced the rascal & hey presto we're cooking, or maybe that should be chilling.

So anybody out there with a 2003 or thereabouts ducato having trouble with habitation electrics remember to check these fuses along with everything else, as I for one didn't even know they were there.

malcy - 2011-08-10 9:08 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

My fridge is an electrolux RM6270 with manual energy selection & doesn't have an interior light. I returned from Whitby a journey of three hours so I know for sure that it's not working on 12 volts. I have the swift handbook which is very comprehensive in most respects but unfortunately doesn't have a wiring diagram. PJay when you say your fuse is near the battery can you be more specific I've looked but not found one yet .

Thanks for your help so far everyone, keep the ideas coming.

Swift are not alone in not including a wiring diagram in the handbook, I have a new Toyota Yaris, which has no diagram either, Why not ? do they think we are all stupid (don't answer that !) I lament the passing of wiring diagrams, Full size spare wheels, and non- Can Bus wiring. Where you had at least a remote chance of fixing a fault yourself. :-( Ray

Archived