Overnight in Folkestone

John H

We have booked a train to take us through the tunnel to France at 07:58hrs on the 1st June. Instead of driving down early morning with just enough time to catch the train, we are going to drive down after work on the 31st May. We anticipate arriving in the Folkestone area at 11.00 to 12.00 pm and hope to find somewhere to park up for the night to get a few hours sleep. We don't need a hook up or water etc. just somewhere where we won't be bothered by the local constabulary or the local burglars. Does anyone know of such a place or am I being silly. We have only had the motorhome since last October and have only stayed on various CC sites so we aren't sure how the land lies when you just park up somewhere. We would be grateful for any suggestions from people who have been doing this a hell of lot longer than we have. Kind regards, John. :-D

Thanks Bryantee, I've booked us in at Black Horse Farm for the night. The warden said that they are coming and going at all hours of the day and night on that site so us arriving so late wouldn't matter. He said he would leave a site map, a pitch number and my receipt in an envelope, for us to pick up when we get there. He is also going to put a reserved sign on our pitch. Thanks again, Pat & John.

Have you thought about where you are staying on return, many years ago I gave up trying to find decent sites near any ferry terminals in france, I now stay well away from ports in france, but maybe someone has good site to recomend.

It's my understanding also that if you stay on the late arrivals area you only pay for the number of people in your party, not a pitch fee as, by default, you're not on a pitch. If the site in question doesn't have a late arrivals area and you have to use a pitch there's not a lot you can do about it and will have to just pay for the pitch. However, you could instead try to find a CL on the way down instead which would work out cheaper.

Archived