Towing a car on a trailer

JamesO

Hi everyone, I'm new on here and I was wondering if anyone could help as I'm now totally confused. A few months ago I bought a motorhome with the sole intention of using it to tow my son's race prepared MGZR around the various circuits in the UK. My wife suggested trying the motorhome out for a holiday which we did and really enjoyed, so much so that we've been away a few times now and are looking to up-grade to a bigger 'van, something on the lines of a Dethleffs Advantage 2, Swift Kon-Tiki or a Autotrail Chieftan. The salesman at the dealers I visited today said "The maximum combined weight of a motorhome and loaded trailer cannot exceed 6,000kgs on UK roads so think carefully before buying a bigger van". I thought this was just sales-talk to get me to look at smaller 'vans so I checked the DVLA's website and my understanding of things given that I passed my test back in 1977 and I have categories C1 and C1E on my licence is that I can drive a vehicle/trailer set-up with a maximum weight of 8,250kgs providing that the loaded trailer weight does not exceed the unladen weight of the 'van. Who's right? the salesman or me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are but...

...watch very carefully for the maximum train weight of the motorhome. For example the Autotrail you quote is 6000kg, which with 5000kg for the motorhome means max 1000kg for the car+trailer. Ditto the Swift (prob uses same Alko chassis I guess). It's probably this aspect the salesman was referring to.

To be fair, though, max train weight on our smaller Autotrail is such that the max trailer weight is 1040kg. So it's not solely a big motorhome issue.

Hi James and welcome to the forum,

You may actually be better off with a smaller MH if you choose carefully.

For example our AutoTrail Cheyenne is based on the Mercedes Sprinter 313 chassis and has a GVW of 3,800 kg with a GTW of 6,300 kg. This gives us a potential Max trailer weight of 2,500 kg (although our towbar is only plated to 2,000 kg).

For comparison the similar Fiat FWD based models are limited to around 1,500 kg :'(

You can download brochures for most recent years from the AT website if you want more info.

Keith.

You surprise me there Keith, although I don't doubt your word. I must admit I thought all ATs were limited to approx 1000kg towing capacity.

Funnily enough I've got a (Fiat chassis) Cheyenne and it does have that limit...but as far as I know that's not caused by the Fiat components (e.g. had an Elddis Autoquest on same Peugeot without that 1000kg limitation), but instead the AT chassis extensions. Guess they must have used heavier duty ones when they used to have an M-B chassis option. I thought it'd be interesting to check, but somewhat mysteriously all the older handbook pdfs on their site stop at the page before the technical specs...weird.

Guest Chloe MMM

Hi all,

You might want to take a look in the September issue of MMM (out on sale August 25 if you're not yet a subscriber!).

Peter Rosenthal has written a guide on how to tow safely - he often uses his 'van to tow a kitcar. It's certainly worth a read just to clear up any questions.

Thanks very much for your input, it has certainly made me rethink my options, I presently own a CI Cipro on a M-B base vehicle with a 2.7, 157bhp engine. The Maximum Gross Vehicle weight is 3,500kg and the Gross Train Weight is 6,300kg giving me potential 2,800kg of towing capacity (far more than I need), I just had it in my head that bigger 'van equals bigger towing capacity, obviously this is not the case.

In that case then you've got the same chassis as our AT (only AT used to buy them uprated to 3,800 kg). You'll have to go a long, long way to beat that chassis so my honest opinion would be to stick with what you've got.

Keith.

PS It may be worth considering fitting Auxiliary Air Suspension to the rear to improve the ride (reduces wallowing) and help prevent a sagging rear end. I fitted the Dunlop kit from Marcle Leisure to ours and it improved the ride no end.

Archived