Different type of parking sensor - any good?

My Kon Tiki has a rear camera, but the angle is such that it's still difficult to judge distances. Hence I am thinking of fitting parking sensors, as I have done in the past to other vehicles.

However, browsing eBay I came across this different type of sensor. It seems quite interesting in that you don't have to colour match the sensors and you don't need to drill any holes.

Has anybody come across one of these, and if so, how good are they?

This product apparently senses ‘electromagnetically’ rather than via ultrasonics. It seems to be widely marketed in the USA at a very low wholesale price. For example, see:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/395189211-freeshipping-Electromagnetic-parking-sensor-no-holes-need-to-be-drilled-wholesalers.html

There’s a U-tube clip (though I note that the warning module shown is visual as well as audible):

What is almost certainly the same product - though differently named (PD1) and at a much higher asking-price - is advertised via this link

http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/blog/parking-sensor/parking-dynamics-pd1-parking-sensor-vs-ultrasonic-sensors/

There's plenty of useful information on the Parking Dynamics website, including videos, detailed installation instructions and testimonials. Also a reference to a 'Visual Alert' option that adds what looks like the warning-module shown on the U-tube video.

Probably worth trying, though I'd prefer to spend $20 than £40.

Sorry I don't know the make but the one fitted on our used van works well and has a IR sender unit inside at the rear avoiding a long cable run to the display making installation easy. If youn go this route this type may be worth looking out for.

I have never thought that judging distance with one electronic eye to be very easy and find that something that gives a clear warning of impending danger works for me. (most of the time!)

Can you not use a wife?

Very portable, easily installed, and is wire-free.

Can be programmed to generate both visible and audible signals - and usually any audible signal can be heard several hundred yards away.

(But there is a caveat: - initial purchase cost may be reasonable, but ongoing maintenance costs can be horrendous)

Archived