What Tools and spares do you carry ?

HymerVan

I know this topic has been covered before but we are going to "downsize" slightly to a PVC and will give up a large garage. I therefore need to think more carefully what tools and spares I should carry and thin down the huge toolbox/comfort blanket I presently carry. I am reasonably competent on electrical/electronic matters and vaguely competent as regards mechanical matters. I am not much of a carpenter. We do go away for long European trips (60 days) .

Any advice would be appreciated

We did 3 months in Europe earlier this year in our small camper van. So I've asked husband – it’s his department.

All Art, above, has mentioned, plus electric meter, super glue, gaffer / duct tape, cable ties… in other words anything found in a decent £ Shop!!!!

Also, IKEA tool kit in the orange box – ‘super’ says husband.

As far as I’m concerned, all I see is bits of wire and various screws and tubes of glue. And when I ask if they are needed [‘cos they take up space], he says, emphatically, YES!

The best thing I carry is the ADAC membership card.

No tool kit would have got me out of trouble when my fuel pump packed up in Spain.

The ADAC sorted everything.

I am a bit of a spanner man and can and have done everything from an engine in/out and rebuild, gearboxes, clutches, brakes and so on.

The sad fact is that with the modern electronics there is little I can now do unless I carry a full diagnostic computer.

I might be able to do some of the simple jobs so I do carry a basic tool kit, spanners etc., the trouble is most breakdowns are not simple jobs!

H

After spending a whole day on a French camp site under a van with a long length of wire and a 12V bulb trying to find a short on a rear light cluster I never travel without a meter Grrrrrrrr....*@#.

And I leave behind my trust of vehicle wiring diagrams once a converter has had their hands on the vehicle.

Unless you are going into the back and beyond, do you really need more than a debit or credit card? Most things can be bought if you need them. Possibly better off with a list of Halford shops - or other motor spares suppliers - and a copy of MMM to see where dealers are located. Buying as you need ensures you will only carry what is essential. If going abroad, continental breakdown cover is worthwhile.

Check to ensure the tools you take actually fit the van you own, e.g. do you need metric or imperial spanners, a socket set that actually enables you to reach whatever you need to undo/tighten e.g. extended sockets, what torque screws does the vehicle have e.g. mine on the van are smaller than on the car, Phillips screwdriver?, different screwdrivers that reach the screw and provide appropriate leverage or a multi screwdriver and a screwdriver for electrical work, pliers, a small hacksaw, small hammer, magnetic wand to find the screws I lose. I still take Vaseline. Gaffer tape is essential. Cable ties are useful.

Think about what you can do on the van and what you will need. Also, think about what risks you are willing to take - you could just look at your toolkit and ask yourself when did you have to use that tool [the 'have to' is important and different to 'wanted to'.

Come what may, I would say a change of light bulbs - full set, multi purpose cleaner to remove insects and clean the windscreen/external lights. Clean cloths [we use 25 year old terry nappies!]. A pot for all the bits that fall off but can be repaired later. Anything specific for the countries you will be visiting.

And what about the essentials, certainly for those of you who travel abroad, like Bulb kit, Hi-Vis jackets, warning triangle and maybe even a first aid kit and torch.

As for electrical work, I don't carry a DVM but do have a Battery/Alternator tester purchased from Aldi for something like £2.99 which has a series of LED's indicating voltage range. I can carry out most fault finding with this and a little ingenuity :-D

Keith.

Over the years I have just bought whatever tools I have needed at the time and then kept them in the motorhome for future use. If you try and cover every possibility you will be carrying a load.

One thing I have done is to fit the bikes with self repairing tyre tubes. They seem to work very well and we have had no punctures since using the despite pulling some very long thorns out of the tyres.

Over the years I have just bought whatever tools I have needed at the time and then kept them in the motorhome for future use. If you try and cover every possibility you will be carrying a load.

One thing I have done is to fit the bikes with self repairing tyre tubes. They seem to work very well and we have had no punctures since using the despite pulling some very long thorns out of the tyres.

Guest 1footinthegrave
NONE apart from the obligatory bulbs set, even dumped the jack, no blinding use anyway, just a full UK and EU breakdown recovery subscription.

Having had a breakdown (with a caravan behind a Landrover) in the middle of nowehere on a Saturday night in the French Alps where there is no life and no mobile phone coverage I tend to travel "equipped". Lets just say it is well past spanners and socket sets, includes a 12 volt grinder to sharpen drills but stops short of the welding gear.

C.

Same as Clive, but minus the grinder as I don't have one...........yet. Plus you need an assortment of screws to bodge up broken bits. Like when I nearly ripped the bumper off the from my marano in germany. Oh and an assortment of penny washers as well. Epoxy putty, quick setting epoxy glue. small tube of silicone sealant, double sided tape, velcro tape.

Hello, Don't forget "Wire" coat hangers.............they can be used to hold up exhaust/water pipes, poke holes in things to clear them. When heated can burn neat holes in plastic. Converted to a toasting fork at barbie time, "S" hooks to hold "whatever" on branches or what ever..........In the meantime they work as hangers for the odd shirt or two.

Archived