Toyota IQ on a Smart Trailer.

tonyishuk

We are contemplating towing our IQ3 Auto on a trailer.

There are a number of pre-loved Brian James Smart Trailers availiable, and I was wondering if any one had experience of putting an IQ on the Smart trailer.

I am aware there are purpose built BJ Trailers for IQs, but like hen's teeth second hand.

An IQ would seem to fit on the trailer, (very snuggly !!, and with a slight possible overhang, as the IQ is 10 foot long and the trailer has a 9 foot bed and not a lot of width to play with.)

My queries lie with the balance and nose weight. The Smart engine/ gearbox weight is in the rear, the IQs is in the front..

If the IQ is parked rear end to the front, would the noseweight become too light ?

Also is there enough adjustment in moving the car on the trailer bed to obtain a reasnoble nose weight? (50 to 75kg ?)

Just wondering if anyone has walked this path ?

Rgds

Spoken with Brian James Ltd and advised not to use a Smart trailer, Would "Squeeze" on but not a suitable mix of balance ! (Big girl in a small bikini, breaking out all over ;-)

One thing I have noticed is that the new ranger of BJ trailers (micro max) seem to be flat beds with no restraint on the sides.

The older ones had a upright at the edge ?

I dont think I would feel safe if thecar could gently slid sideways off the trailer when emergency braking takes place.

Rgards

We tow our Smart car on a "Smart Trailer" www.smart-trailers.co.uk

The man there has many sized trailers and is very helpful 07950 968348

We find our trailer to be perfectly balanced and there are no rattles or clangs when driving along even if the trailer is empty.

Archived