touring Turkey

travelling taylors

Slightly different things to consider, and apologies if this is something you checked months ago, but...........do make absolutely certain that your MH insurance, and your breakdown/recovery insurance, your credit card loss insurance, and your personal healthcare insurance, all specifically cover you for the duration of your visit to Turkey.

It certainly used to be the case that many companies DID NOT include that country when they talked about "European" cover.

Hi

I take debit card for ATMs; Crt cards for all other purchases inc tolls where possible (not all tolls accept cards and rules vary country to country) but i also carry cash cos that works if everything hits the fan.

Clearly its important to keep cash so i use a Pacsafe neckpouch which i put acros my chest under my shirt - it has a wire to make slashproof (i also have a pacsafe camera starp for same purpose) it has worked for us (2 attemped robberies in Buenos Aires last year) - room for passport cash and cards - i just keep one card and some ready cash out.

There have ben numerous threads on which is cheapest cards to take - just make sure they know where you are travelling - not that that will necassarilly stop them blocking your card if they are suspicious - with this in mind you need a range of cards - i usually have 3 or four with one + some cash hidden in motorhome as my emergency - Maggie did lose her cards in Athens (on a GB privelige tour) a couple of years back.

According to the rough guide Euros are pretty much accepted anywhere but you will need some Lira for motorway tolls and small purchases. I would probably take about £150 in Lira &, say £500 in Euros. Thats a good start and then draw what you want as you go along.

Have a good trip - i have also sent you a PM

Regards

Peter

Hi there , thankyou for replying

Yep we have had to change our travel insurance , we were with safeguard ?? i think but have now switched to comfort for the green card ( safeguard does not cover East Turkey apparently ). Currently trawling through personal travel insurance for hubby who has pre-existing medical conditions ( although stable and has been for ages ) but have to declare and premiums go up some quite hefty loaded , so have not yet decided who to go with because also need cover for over 45 days and some insurances i have found only go to 31 days and some are age related .

Hope to get things sorted over next 2 weeks hopefully

b-)

1) we grabbed YTL from the border at an ATM

2) when we got onto the toll motorway, we had to buy a pre-loaded toll card for 50 YTL (minimum amount). You scan it entering & leaving & it tells you your balance & deducts the amount owing. Aparently good for toll bridges, etc.

travelling taylors - 2011-08-14 8:54 AM

Hi there

We are off with GB privilege tour to Turkey in sept, having never ventured east further than Prague unsure which is best option for money -do we take Turkish Lira or exchange when over there ?

Also which credit cards / debit cards are best to have especially for fuel / tolls that may be unmanned .

:-D

For those planning to visit Turkey it is worth knowing that in the popular tourist regions of the Aegean and Mediterranean coast most of the HSBC ATMs dispense Turkish Lira, Euros and Pounds Sterling. In Istanbul the US Dollar is available instead of the pound sterling.

Don

Archived