Looking for a 'van

MattR

We are looking for a pvc 'van no more than 6.1m long to fit on our drive. We need 4 travel seats and berths with 2 being bunks for our boys. A drop down longitudinal bed would be great. Can anyone suggest any models that fit this description or companies that do conversions with this design?

Hi Matt

You didn't say if you are looking at new or older M/h's or what age the children are ?

I'm not aware of a PVC with a "drop down bed" or "Bunks", but others may come along with more info.

Some of the older high tops or pop-tops, have single longitudinal beds in the roof that may be suitable. (more suitably for children)

There are a few Low Profile Coachbuilts that now offer a "drop down bed" to give 4 berths

Burstner, (< 6m) Chausson, Rapido

Have a look here:-

http://www.becksmotorhomes.com/vehicle/2011-burstner-ixeo-time-it585

Thanks for your reply. I kept my request vague as I did not want to restrict replies too much but guess I was too vague. We would love a IXEO TIME IT585 but cannot afford to spend that much. Our boys are 8 and 2 and we want bunks to give them space to grow into - expecting to keep the vehicle as they grow into their teens. They currently sleep in the roof of our Bongo but will need more privacy as they grow older and want somewhere to escape. We have seen some very appropriate coach built 'vans with bunks and drop down beds but the vans are 50cm too long. Timberland do a van that is very close to our needs but too expensive and does not have a drop down bed... see http://www.timberlandmotorhomes.com/timberland-layouts/ and down to xii

We are aiming to spend up to £30K but would prefer around £20K initially.

Guest JudgeMental

6 m panel vans fine for 2 but 4 no way! :-S

we have just downsized from a coachbuilt to an Adria PVC and our teenage children flew out to us in Croatia this summer and travelled around with us......... Even with them sleeping in a small tent, they would still want to get to cupboards for their clothes, lounge about if weather iffy, use bathroom to brush teeth and getting ready for a night out etc..... it was a nightmare,simply not enough room in a PVC for 4. It was so bad that the thought of sharing van with them on 3 day return journey made me put them on a plane home...better for them and better for us*-)

I would buy a 6m panel van of choice, and get a pop top roof fitted with bed (not cheap) the same type as popular with VW vans? these are now an option with many panel vans including Adria. But I would have a serious rethink and get a coachbuilt designed for 4 ;-)

Hi Matt

Have you thought about an Autotrail Tracker - they are 18ft 10 ins long (about 5.8metres). but they are quite short as we were looking at them. You can get 4 berth ones EKS and if you shop around you can get a bargain.

They are lovely motorhomes

Rapido 710f also fits the bill see MMM sept' 2011 for more info'. Has 2 bunk beds that stow away and is 5.8 mtrs long. We had one and it was very good with rear lounge and also another table in the front as well.

The people who did our Cavarno do some 4-berth models as well, all with very clever layouts to fit everything (and everyone!) in. Build quality is excellent too. They are:

www.horizonsleisurevehicles.co.uk

Tony

(Don't know why the link's not working - try pasting it into the bar)

We will take a closer look at the size issue - we are concerned about falling over ourselves but need to find a compromise - we have seen some very nice coach builts but they are huge on our drive and I have yet to find one that fits and has what we need.

The Horizon leisure conversions look great - particularly the second row of photos showing the bunks at the rear and longitudinal bed for us. The only down side being that the beds need to be made up each night and are not drop down. I'll call them to get an idea on prices. If they do not match our budget, I'll have a closer look at the others but would like to find options with the space for the boys that we are looking for - I really want them to be able to have some private space to hide in without being in our way.

Guest JudgeMental

what is your budget? makes it much easier to being realistic with advice.......

I still think if you are hell bent on a PVC my idea of getting a lift up roof fitted is a good one, as you can source van within budget and no in advance what a roof conversion will cost

We have just got back from 4.5 weeks in Croatia/Italy so most of our living was outside. If you intend to use closer to home with worse weather and cold evenings I really think a coachbuilt the best bet for 4. there is simply hardly any living space in a PVC, 2 can just about cope. The front alone with bench and 2 chairs how can 4 relax! space to tight. You will be glad to get home!

a coachbuilt with extra width far better,........Try hiring a panel van for a week and you will soon see I guarantee it will drive you all bonkers *-)

You can get low roof coachbuilt around 6 m long with 4 berths, but I think 6.5 m more practical for 4

Our budget is variable - if we find the "perfect van" I guess we can go to around £35K. If not perfect, we would experiment with a cheaper van.

We have a Mazda Bongo with a raising roof. It can sleep 4 very comfortably and will a few adjustments, up to 6. Not bad for a vehicle with the same footprint as a Ford Galaxy. We have done 3 week long trips to Europe and had lots of fun. We are looking to upgrade to a vehicle which is more suitable for poor weather. The reason for the bunks being that the kids can have their own space to hide and play without being in our way. We know that it will be crowded but maybe underestimate how cramped it will be.

The size issue is related to our drive - we found a nice 6.5m van last weekend but it will not fit on our drive and we do not want to have to store it away from home.

I we were not restricted on parking space, we would go for the coach built. As we are and have not seen anything that does not take over our front garden, we are taking a close look at PVCs.

We are thinking of hiring a van next Easter and are hoping to get one as close as possible to type we will buy.

We may find that size really is too much of an issue and shelve our plans for trips to cooler and wetter climates and just stick to our Bongo and live outside as before.

Thanks for the advice so far :)

Archived