Cancelled Tunnel crossing

LordThornber

Seriously though in the 5 years we have used Euro Tunnel I have nothing but praise for the promptness of service :-D we have never been delayed except for this year when because of the Pet passport office and the queue at the passport control we missed our loading and had to take the next train :-S our fault ! we usually arrive on our outward journey anything up to two hours early because of our 6 hour drive we always set off in good time and allow for holdups breaks etc; and we have never had to pay a surcharge. I dont think the same would apply if we were using the Ferry.

• 3 weeks later...

My recent experience of Eurotunnel:

We had an outward crossing booked for Wednesday morning at 07.20, but, as I'd unexpectedly managed to get the full Tuesday off work rather than just the afternoon, we arrived at Eurotunnel by 16.20 that day so thought we'd see if we could get across then and went to the 'auto-check-in' which I'd never used before! 8-) After punching in the reservation number I was offered a choice of crossing that teatime at either 17.20 or 17.50 at no extra cost so we plumped for the 17.20 then fed the dogs and had a cuppa whilst we waited to board. Once in France we headed for Bray Dunes and stopped behind the apartments and the dogs had a lovely time playing on the beach nearby. Not bad - getting across 12 hours earlier for nothing! :-D

On our return trip we were due to cross at 19.55 but had to come back in the morning so arrived at 07.50 in the hope that we could get across in the morning instead (we'd stayed at Cite Europe so weren't far away). Once the dogs were cleared for the Pet Passport it was 08.00 so we went to the 'auto-check-in' and were offered a choice of 09.20 or 09.50 for the princely sum of 6 euros ... chose the 09.20 and had breakfast whilst we waited. We were then 'called' round to the boarding waiting area for the 08.58 crossing which we though was great (should have been 08.50 but had an 8 minute delay), however, they then told us we wouldn't be able to go out on it, oh well, not long to wait we though. However, unfortunately there had been a problem with a train in the tunnel (I assume it had broken down) which they were having fun getting out! This had apparently caused them to cancel the 08.20 and whey the 08.50 had an 8 minute delay. At around 09.05 we were informed that the 09.20 and 09.50 were cancelled and we probably wouldn't cross until 10.20 (I assume the delay had increased more than 8 minutes and would cause knock on timetable/logistical problems if all trains ran). Not ecstatic about this, especially with a poorly dog, but not the end of the world either as we would still get into the UK in good time.

We asked if we could go back to the shopping area rather than wait there (all on our lonesome!) and were told we could but it would mean going through check-in again, and take time to drive there and back, and that we would be better staying put as there was still the possibility that the 09.50 might be run with boarding starting in about 20 minutes anyway so we didn't bother - the chap said would let us know within 5 minutes what the position was. In the meantime he offered to try to get us some coffee (he obviously assumed that was what we wanted to go to the shopping area for) and managed to 'smuggle' 2 cups of 'proper' coffee out of the staff area to us, hiding the coffee under his jacket so the people in other vehilces which had arrived by then didn't see as I don't think he wanted to end up getting it for everyone!!!! :->

True to his word he came and told us what was happening with the 09.50 - it was going to run and we'd be on it - yippee! 09.45 came and went and the message on the board changed to say boarding had been completed (or something like that) ... we then got a bit worried as we, and a couple of other motorhomes, were waiting to board ... hubby ran across to where the chap was standing to ask what was happening and he explained that we would be boarded in a couple of minutes' time and that the sign was automatically changed to say what it did to ensure that no other vehicles were allowed through check-in to the boarding area, within 60 seconds we were on our way onto the train and got back into the UK 35 minutes later at 09.25 UK time.

The Eurotunnel chap was very nice indeed, very pleasant, always smiling, and took time to let us know what was happening despite a lot of running around letting people know what was going on - he even apologised for not having anything for the dog when he gave us the coffee! :-)

As we drove home listening to Radio 2 (yes, we managed to receive it some of the time!), it wasn't long after we'd crossed that we heard that some of the ferry crossings had been cancelled or postponed due to the extremely windy weather (it had been bad the previous day too but was now even worse). There was also up to a 3 and a half hour delay on Eurotunnel crossings - not sure why it was affected but we were very glad we got across when we did!!!! 8-)

Possibly not the best piece of design, but on the French side the tunnel rail line goes around a loop so they don't have to reverse the trains. This is exposed and is affected by high winds, so when windy they can't use it and do end up reversing. Hence lower capacity in windy conditions.

Motorhomes are always loaded very last, I believe because they're carrying LPG so it's about minimising risk.

Rosbotham - 2011-09-10 7:07 AM

Possibly not the best piece of design, but on the French side the tunnel rail line goes around a loop so they don't have to reverse the trains. This is exposed and is affected by high winds, so when windy they can't use it and do end up reversing. Hence lower capacity in windy conditions.

Motorhomes are always loaded very last, I believe because they're carrying LPG so it's about minimising risk.

That may well be the reason Ros, as it would make sense with the very windy conditions that day. You are also correct about motorhomes being loaded last because of the LPG, that's what we were told by the nice chap, but we haven't ever been still waiting to board when the sign changed ... hence the concern ... the motorhomer behind us was walking around looking distinctly worried in case he wasn't going to get across, until he was told and then looked very relieved indeed!

• 3 weeks later...
We had such a good run up from the South of France, 24th Sept 2011, that we were TWO days early! Phoned EuroTunnel and they said if I turned up I would be charged £82, if I adjusted my booking on the phone there and then, the charge would be £14.00. Two days early for £14.00 no complaints there.

Archived