Passengers

daiteach

The legality (or otherwise) of carrying passengers in a motorhome's rear U-lounge will depend on the age of the motorhome you are buying and the age of the passengers.

I'm not going to attempt to provide a shorthand answer to what is a longhand subject, but (as it's something that's been discussed quite a bit on-line) I suggest you GOOGLE-search on "motorhome seat belts" and wade through the responses. This (possibly now out of date?) response would be a good start:

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs.shtml#seatbelts

NOTE THE ADVICE IN RED.

daiteach - 2011-08-15 11:32 AM

I am about to buy a 2 berth motor home with a 'U' shaped back lounge.

Can I carry passengers in the lounge area?

And my opinion, DON'T DO IT!

What protection would they have in the event of a rear end shunt? Just think what a caravan looks like strewn across the road after an accident and then imagine your passengers amongst the carnage.

I rest my case.

Keith.

About 12/18 months ago Practical Motor home had an article re crash involving a car travelling at 70mph hitting a M/H the same as mine in the rear .The crash occurred at 3am at Stone cross in New forest ,for some reason the drivers wife was sitting or asleep in back ,she was thrown completely out of van on to side of road .All that was left was the cab,the only way we recognised what make it was ,was by the upholstery in van .Comment from police at scene was how did she not die.

Yes will agree being hit at 70mph is perhaps extreme ,but clearly it happens .Dont carry people in rear with no belts

Archived