Low Emissions Zones in Italy?

BGD

Hi guys - a little advice please............

We're planning our next chugging adventure........the general idea is to take about 22 days in October, and chug up the East coast of Spain from our home here on the Costa Blanca, then all along the bottom part of France, heading into the "hip" and the & middle bits of Italy.

Now, our old-dog of a motorhome is a venerable 1992, Peugeot J5 based A-class, under 3,500kgs, with the 2.5td engine...same as the Talbot van in the UK, and the C25 Citroen van.

Obviously, in terms of emissions control it is an utter fossil.....although it's not a smoker at all, it clearly wasn't built to meet any of these new fangled emissions controls.

I don't think we wouldn't even be Euro1 complaint as the MH was built a couple of years before even that first standard came in.

So far as I'm aware there aren't any LEZ's in Spain or France at all, but there seem to be quite a lot in Italy.

A couple of questions, as I'm ignorant of how they work in Italy:

Is it just the centres of cities? (So, if we chug past on the bypass, or camp up outside the city and then go into the centre on our very modern 125cc scooter which we carry on a scooter rack, are we OK?)

There seem to be some areas in northern Italy where it's the REGION rather than just particular cities. Is this true, and if so is there any legal way of passing through on the A-roads with a non-compliant motorhome?

I understand the law, but in all cases that I have seen so far with regard to Italy it says enforcement is "manual".

In reality, has anyone you know actually ever actually been stopped/fined (by the traffic police I assume?) for driving a non-compliant foreign regd motorhome through such regions/cities of Italy?

Any info greatly appreciated............

Hi,

I don't remember seeing signs for LEZ zones in Italy, BUT then I googled it and the theAA site has lots of info on its LOw Emissions Zones in Europe page http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/european-low-emission-zones.html

I'll look out for them next month but fortunately my van is rather later & probably won't be affected for another 5 or 10 years,

cheers alan

According to the Caravan Club book Caravan Europe Vol 2, the only mention of a current pollution charge is for Milan, although Turin and Genoa are said to be considering a similar scheme.

The Milan system operates between 07:00 and 21:00 and you are charged a toll between €2 and €10 depending on vehicle, at any of 43 entrance points to the city, or from tobacconists, newsagents or ATM points.

spospe - 2011-08-16 10:31 AM

According to the Caravan Club book Caravan Europe Vol 2, the only mention of a current pollution charge is for Milan, although Turin and Genoa are said to be considering a similar scheme.

The Milan system operates between 07:00 and 21:00 and you are charged a toll between €2 and €10 depending on vehicle, at any of 43 entrance points to the city, or from tobacconists, newsagents or ATM points.

Thanks for that..........but this website seems to indicate a lot more LEZ's than that one, in Italy:

http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/emission-standards-table

I'm getting more and more confuddled!

Hi

we had 6 weeks in Italy last year and I don't remember seeing these low emission signs but we tend to park outside then take the m/bike or train into towns /cities.

I have had a look on the AA website and it all looks unbeleiveably complicated - with times it applies, roads excluded etc. I would imagine that chuggng round the outside you should be ok.

I was more worried about the ZTL where you cannot drive without a permit - now we saw a few of those but usually in towns/cities so not a problem as on foot or on m/bike(i drove through one on the bike when i was lost but got away with it!)

Enjoy your trip

Peter

Archived