Pre-paid travel cards

laimeduck

I have a caxtonFX Euro Card I used it in France earlier this year and it was excellent, a good exchange rate no extra charges and free when issued if you load 500 Euros on to it. The only oddity I found and it probably applies to all euro cards is garage fuel pumps will not accept it if there is less that 100 Euros left on it, I dont know why that would be probably software limitations.

We had two weeks in Greece and the hotel wanted to levi a charge of Euro3.50 on the bar bill as it goes through as a credit card I argued and they waved it.

I would check the rate (Link below) and conditions before you take the plunge, some cards charge a fixed fee at ATMs, Caxton don't.

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/comparerates.asp?dist=CAXTGENL

We got a My Travel Cash prepaid Mastercard through Quidco with a £7.50 cashback.

http://www.mytravelcash.com/index.html?refcode=awnwstd0006&offer=mtcctd

We got it primarily for buying Ryanair flights as they don't charge the £6 booking fee if you use a prepaid Mastercard. Saved over £100 already this year!!

There's no ATM withdrawal fee and they're now giving a 1% cashback on all purchases.

We have two caxton Cards on the same account and have had them for two years. The reason for the two cards is if the primary card is lost, we can cancel it but continue with the second card.

So far we have found this system excellent. The card can be loaded by text and it's done instantaneously, and the balance can be checked in the same way. We have used it out of the Euro zone in Morocco, but then there is a small charge for cash withdrawals. In the Eurozone it is free of charges.

The website is simple to use and the staff speak good English and are very helpful. It's greatest advantage is that in the event of a loss liability is limited to the credit on the card.

H

derek500 - 2011-08-18 4:29 PM

We got a My Travel Cash prepaid Mastercard through Quidco with a £7.50 cashback.

We got it primarily for buying Ryanair flights as they don't charge the £6 booking fee if you use a prepaid Mastercard. Saved over £100 already this year!!

There's no ATM withdrawal fee and they're now giving a 1% cashback on all purchases.

My worry would be just who is behind this card, as effectively you are giving them your money in advance, and are they covered by the usual UK banking guarantees? ie, is one of the 'major' UK banks giving the guarantee, or is it simply a commerical operation? I seem to recall recently there was a similar situation with some credit company, who I think had an office in Cornwall, and in effect went bust,and those who had paid them money for this in advance h no guarantee.

Log on to the Caxtonfx site for all the details on guarantees and which bank is providing the service.

You are right, of course, that they have your money and are using it for other purpsoes. After a holiday we frequently have a £100 or more on the card which remains unused until the next jolly. There must be thousands of these accounts in thisdormant state. However, the best that is available for cash on deposit is about 3% so that is not a lot to give up for the service that the card provides with zero cost transactions. During some long Euro stays we have spent more than £100 in withdrawal and purchase costs with normal bank cards, so the Caxton card seems to be good value.

H

Keith T - 2011-08-18 11:42 PM

derek500 - 2011-08-18 4:29 PM

My worry would be just who is behind this card, as effectively you are giving them your money in advance, and are they covered by the usual UK banking guarantees? ie, is one of the 'major' UK banks giving the guarantee, or is it simply a commerical operation? I seem to recall recently there was a similar situation with some credit company, who I think had an office in Cornwall, and in effect went bust,and those who had paid them money for this in advance h no guarantee.

It's run by the Newcastle Building Society.

http://www.mytravelcash.com/about-us/shop-with-confidence.html

I chose it as it was a best buy on the moneysavingexpert website.

I used a Caxton card for the first time this year in Germany and France. Similar to Hopesy, we found paying with the Caxton card in Germany pretty hopeless, one campsite owner insisted it was a credit card and wouldn't be persuaded otherwise. Netto wouldn't accept it, or any of our cards. After that we just used cash. I will still use it next time as I wouldn't want to rely on any card, debit, credit or prepaid. Using it in France was absolutely fine.

I used mine yesterday to top up my Camping Cheque gold card with five nights.

The price on the UK site was £72.50. On the French site it was 79€. I transferred 79€ to my pre-paid card which cost me £71.67 and paid with that on the French site.

At the end of the month, I'll get a 1% cash back too.

I know it's not a lot, but 83p + 79c is something for nothing.

When buying our Euros at the post office I was asked if I was interested in one of these, but as it was to late to go into it I said Id think about it for next year, we use the Nationwide debit card which levies a 2% comission plus 1% on the 300 euros cash I usually take out each time it works out at £6. odd .

What I wanted to know is if you preload with a couple of thousand pounds, we go for 6 weeks and spend probably a bit less than that, are you able to cash it in when returning or is it best to leave it and jut top it up again? how easy is it ? Im not happy to top up over my mobile phone! Oh and the CCC club mentioned one as well when I used them to book our tunnel.

Just to endorse what others have said., the caxton FX card is easy and convenient and acceptably secure, being backed by newcastle BS.. We use a combination of this card, and conventional mastercard and Barclaycard Visa for most of our expenditure in Europe.

We spend most of the winter in Southern Spain and find the facility to re-load the card on-line works well for us

I load about £500 a time, rather than the full amount needed for the holiday. I do it by text. Caxton have a number for this. Your send the word "load " with the last 4 digits of your card number plus your date of birth (day and month). The card is loaded straight away and you are sent an immediate acknowledgement. Not more than two loads a day are permitted and they must be at least 100 Euros. Balances can be checked by text return in the same way.

If you don't know how to text just ring them and they will make a debit from your approved account. However, you can only get a response during normal working hours. Hence, I choose the texting method.

I have found that the card works in France, Italy, Greece, Germany and Morocco (where local currency is bought). However, I do many smaller transactions in cash.

H

bill dunham - 2011-08-20 4:45 PM

Just to endorse what others have said., the caxton FX card is easy and convenient and acceptably secure, being backed by newcastle BS.

Like my Newcastle BS, My Travel Cash card, does the Caxton offer free ATM withdrawals and 1% cashback on all purchases?

I have just received my Caxton card to use for our month away in France next week. But it appears at todays Caxton rate of 1.118 euros to the £ 1, it is better to stick with my Nationwide Debit card which after taking off the 2 % commission is paying 1.127 .

The Nationwide rate can be found on their website with a link to the European Visa rate used.

So unless the euro is going to drop drastically over the next four weeks I will leave the card unloaded.

I suppose over the winter it is worth monitoring the exchange rate for unusual rate rises ? Although that ties up funds till my next trip in May.

whisturx - 2011-08-23 10:02 AM

I have just received my Caxton card to use for our month away in France next week. But it appears at todays Caxton rate of 1.118 euros to the £ 1, it is better to stick with my Nationwide Debit card which after taking off the 2 % commission is paying 1.127 .

The Nationwide rate can be found on their website with a link to the European Visa rate used.

So unless the euro is going to drop drastically over the next four weeks I will leave the card unloaded.

I suppose over the winter it is worth monitoring the exchange rate for unusual rate rises ? Although that ties up funds till my next trip in May.

That's why the My Travel Cash card is such a good deal. The 1% cashback soon mounts up after a few tanks of diesel and campsite fees.

The Caxton card is ideal in that you can load it when exchange rates work in your favour. I still have money on mine which I bought some time ago at an exchange rate of 1.18. I topped it up recently at 1.13 which is better than the cash deal I got yesterday from ICE at 1.1282.

Thanks for the replies. I think I have missed the boat regarding loading for my September holiday, unless of course there is yet another stock market disaster which usually pushes the pound up. Or the market rises sharply (and pigs might fly !!) and the euro goes the other way.

Caxton now showing 1.115 and Nationwide still at 1.127

Link to Nationwide Visa http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/exchange_rates.aspx

Thomas Cook at 1.09 !

Guest JudgeMental
I will stick with nationwide for now as even with the new charges (comparable to others) you still get near a commercial rate of exchange...... Plus no pre loading and faffing about required :-S

Archived