Urgent under-slung lpg tank - straps

John J Thompson

URGENT - Check the straps of your under-slung LPG tanks. Also check for rust on the straps and tank.

A poster on MotorhomeFACTS has reported the following.

"I have a 55 litre Stako LPG Tank fitted to my 2008 Motorhome this tank was fitted Jan 2008 It fell off yesterday whilst driving on examination the two Securing straps had both corroded underneath the plastic covering where the corrosion could not be seen. Luckily the pipes from the fill held as the tank was dragged along the road it it had broken it could have been much worse as it was full!! so please check your straps."

This is a serious situation as tanks fitted by some suppliers are just hung in the straps and not fitted into a frame. My tank was fitted by MTH at Lydney in the Forest of Dean as was the tank above.

Chris Wise of Autogas2000 wrote:

"LPG tanks under the vans should be checked on a yearly interval to make sure that the tank, frame, straps are all in good secure condition and the rust proofing is in place.

If anyone out there is concerned about the security of their gas tank no matter who fitted it or when it was installed then please PM me and I am happy to offer a free inspection here at our Thirsk workshops to make sure that the tank is secure and safe for use. "

Have a quick look at your tank fittings and contact Autogas2000 or another reputable firm if you have any rust on your tank or straps.

MTH ceased trading a few years back. I went to MTH on reading a very complimentary article in a reputable Motorhome magazine.

I was just at Thirsk yesterday for a free inspection of a tank fitted in 2007 by MTH.

My tank had been fitted outside under slung below the van and we were told it carried a 10 year guarantee by MTH in writing. I was shown the fitting information yesterday by Stako and these state tanks are only guaranteed for 18 months if fitted inside a compartment or 6 months if fitted outside.

The tank should sit on a carrier. Mine was fitted with the carrier on top and suspended on the fixing straps. MTH had fitted 4 straps instead of the normal 2 straps, so that was a plus. This is not a safe method as the straps rust and can allow the tank to fall off. They are only designed to keep the tank in place with the weight taken by the frame. Coated straps hide the rust proplem until it is too late.

My tank straps had started to flake with rust, reducing their thickness and as a result strength but were secure.

I am going back to Autogas2000 to have the installation corrected.

How many other have tanks suspended on these retaining straps?

Autogas2000 also under seal the tanks they fit to prevent damage to the paint by chipping, allowing the tank to rust. The bottom of my tank has lost a lot of paint, so will have to be removed, cleaned, painted with zinc paint and then fitted into a new frame set up to support the tank, then undersealed.

Chris wise was very helpful and spared no detail in his explanation of the problems. Many thanks to Chris and his colleague.

Replacing mild steel strapping with stainless steel may seem the obvious answer but I have heard reports from classic car restorers that there can be problems with corrosion adjacent to the SS parts.

Probably a better solution is to use galvanised steel strapping with a liberal application of wax oil around bolt holes etc to prevent air getting to any exposed m/steel.

Corrosion of water tank straps can also occurr. Road filth between strap and tank is the ideal breeding ground for the dreaded tin worm. One of the jobs on my roundtoit list is finding a sutable fabric webbing that can be soaked in waxoil and bedded twixt straps and fresh and grey tanks.

I agree with dikyenfo, ALL fittings used underneath a Motorhome should be at least A2 stainless, and preferably A4 (yacht grade) and all framework should be galvanized. Motorhomes have an active life of anything up to 20 years, well beyond normal vehicle lifespans. And where LPG tanks are involved they should be included in an MOT type check of their safety ( part of the warranty issued by the installer ?). Will this EVER be done ?? I doubt it, Motorhomes are already too expensive, hence the drop in 'New' sales. But it should. Ray

I think a lot of MH owners would be shocked if they started looking closely at the undersides of their MHs...and seeing all the rusty, p*ss poor brakets, rusty fasteners,chaffing cables,vunerable pipework....etc...

I'm surprised that that those gas tank straps aren't stainless though... :-S

..and even more surprised that the tanks are only guaranteed for 6 months when mounted externally!?

I too have a SAKO LPG tank fitted by MTH Autogas in the Forest of Dean in 2006. Initially I was happy with the fitting service and the bulk tank has always worked well.

At the time of fitting I was insured with SAGA who required a certificate of conformity issued by an approved intaller. Autogas were not an approved intaller and SAGA threatened to withdraw my insurance unless I could provide such a certificate. I think there is some overlap between tanks fitted for "domestic" use and tanks fitted for purposes of vehicle propulsion.

Anyway, I had to get some form of approval so I went to an approved intaller of autogas who said that after an inspection they could probably provide the necessary paper work. I took the vehicle to be inspected, but the installer refused to give approval. The company identified a number of alleged faults with the original fitting. Principally, the tank needed at least three straps; the straps that had been used were not satisfactory as they were made from metal that was too thin; at the gas connection point there should have been a "pigtail" in the metal pipe to counteract vibration and brittle fracture; the gas pipe required to be supported on metal links. I instructed for the remedial work to be carried out at a cost of almost £300. After this the company issued a certificate which SAGA accepted.

I informed MTH Autogas of these alleged fitting faults, but made no claim against them for the cost of the extra work. I just put it down to experience.

I now check the security of the tank at least every year and also ask that it is done when the MOT is carried out. I also intend to have new straps fitted after ten years and get the tank professionally inspected at this time.

Things slung underneath a van are liable to rust and nothing lasts forever. In an aggresive coastal area with salt spray lifespans are even shorter. All things suspended in these areas need frequent inspection to ensure that they are secure.

Archived