air suspension talbot based Landliner

jockgartshore

does anyone have any experience of either fitting or using an air ride kit to an Autohomes Landliner based on the Talbot express.

i am looking to fit a system over the winter months, and have been advised that a Dunlop system is available via Markle, but don't have any details as yet.

i have spent considerable time And not least a deal of money on this 'van since i bought it, and as its the only one i'm likely to have (she says) i'm trying to update various things..... not least of which is the engine and gearbox, now replaced with a 2.8ieTd, Ducato, complete with 2.8 box and cable gear shift......... they say it couldn't be done.......... it has been now !

as an aside.... have 2.5 peugeot engine, and 5 speed g/box for sale /swap, both were in working order when removed last year . no guarantees tho' complete clutch ass. 2.5 also 1.9 as new.

Hi Alan and welcome to the forum,

Seen as you mention Marcle have you downloaded the full fitting instructions from their website as thesse may answer any questions that you have. They are available via a (small) link near the bottom of the description on this page LINK.

For info I fitted a Dunlop kit from Marcle to our Merc based MH in around half a day entirely on my own. I actually spent longer routing the pipes and fitting the valves than installing the bellows if that is of any help.

The kit has raised the back end slightly and improved the ride beyond my expectations so my advice would be to go for it. For info I run around 36 - 40 psi in both sides.

Hope this helps,

Keith.

..another nod here for the Dunlop kits from Marcle...very neat,well made bits of kit and very easy to fit...

..unless there is something in the way of where the "bellows" need to go,as happened with our Renault(..a brake pipe assembly and welded-on brkt,on top of the axle..*-)

I only opted for the basic kit,no gauges etc,as it's no hardship just checking the pressures at the same time as checking the tyres(..although,I occassionaly toy with retro fitting them....).

I fitted ours because I required extra ground clearance..but I was also very impressed with the improvement in handling...

The rear Suspension on my Talbot based Autosleeper Talisman (1988) needed a bit of help, I did consider Air suspension, but in the end went for a set of 'MAD' heavy duty(4) spring assistors, Which i was able to fit myself. They were quite a bit cheaper, I found the results very good with much improved handling (no body roll) a better 'stance' , and no harshness of ride (which some said i would get). Just a thought anyway.

Wow ! a 2.8 !! No problems climbing hills in that ! Did you fit power steering as well ?? My 'Old Girl' only had a 2 litre petrol and no power steering. Which is why (after 6 years) i finally sold her and bought a 2005 Autocruise. Not as well made as the Autosleeper. But at least it has power steering.

Good luck Ray

You are probably already aware that the Talbot Express, Peugeot J5, and Citroen C25 vans are in fact exactly the same, they all came off the same PSA assembly line and were just badged differently

About 4 years I considered air-ride for my soggy-bottomed 1992 Peugeot J5 based motorhome that I'd just bought, but decided against in the end, as the cost was going to be well over 500 quid.

Instead I bought and self-fitted (easy-peasy to self fit) a set of Grayston Engineering coil spring assisters - they do a kit especially for these vans - which was, from memory, a little under 300 quid.

Utter transformation! Perky bottom, stable on corners, stable in cross winds, stable when being overtaken by big HGV's, I was utterly chuffed with them.

Here's their web site:

http://www.springassisters.co.uk/menu.htm

Moving on, we bought a bigger, 6-berth, 7 metre long A-class motorhome about 2 years ago - by coincidence, another 1992 Peugeot J5 based vehicle.

This vehicle had been fitted from new with a front anti-torsion bar, and with air-rides supporting the rear springs. The ride was super.

But the Spanish ITV rules changed in 2009...they brought in a rule that said that for all commercial vehicles, you could only have air-assist suspension fitted if the system was homologated.

Our system, although perfectly fine, didn't have any homologation certificate (such a thing never existed when the motorhome was first built in France, before being sold new in Belgium in 1992, and then subsequently being imported from there into Spain in 1994.)

Many people have complained, as we did, that the rule should not be retrospective, but the law is the law - the ITV (spanish MOT) guy simply could not issue a "pass" certificate whilst our motorhome was wearing these air-assists.

So, I removed them, then the MH passed the ITV.

Now, I could have put them back on again, as the problem would only happen once each year, but I couldn't be arsed.

Instead, I ordered another set of Grayston Engineering coil spring assisters and fitted them - loverly jubbly.

Apart from them being a lot cheaper than the donut air-ride solution, they are also completely fit and forget. No need to pump them up, no need to keep checking pressures, no risk of air leaks, etc etc.

The one thing they aren't, is adjustable. But I've never found that to be a problem at all.

If you ring Grayston, tell them you've got a Talbot motorhome, and the one you want is is kit number: KR6101E

I think the bloke to ask for in retail sales is "Keith"

it comes as a kit, with a base plate which bolts round the axle, a top plate which screws into the hole left when you remove the rubber bump-stop from the underside of the chassis above the axle, and then two springs which fit between these two mounting "cups".....to get them in just jack the body up, to allow the rear axle to "drop" until there's space......the whole job takes about half an hour each side.

Highly recommended, by me at least.....

Two other good websites for Talbot owners that you might find useful:

http://forums.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-forums.showdiscussion/thread_id-13244/startrow-4601/maxrows-20/08a5ff4a.html

http://talbotoc.cx.cc/

Although we've got the Dunlop set-up on our current van,I did fit the Grayston coil springs to our previous x250 Pug..again simple(very simple!) to fit and almost half the price of the air kit... ;-)

They lifted the vehicle about 20mm at the arch...but on our current MH,that probably wouldn't have been enough to give me the rear end lift I needed.

(...I needed to stop the rear from bottoming out when pulling up our driveway)

thanks keith ............cost is prohibitive whether having someone fit it or as a DIY kit, however another forum user has suggested Grayston spring assister system, and i'm going to have a serious discussion with herself about getting that.......... it is available .

thanks for your help

thank you a solution has been given...... Grayston spring assisters watch this page!!!!!!

the 2.8 performs well,its a 2.8 intercooler around 120 hp.... had umpteen problems, had to convert almost all hoses,and cables, starter, alternator,60mm stainless exhaust i made to fit,withTalbot turbo diesel mufflers, cut manifold re weld, engine mounts,gear shift (cable ) clutch cable, finally drive shafts, used 2.8 inboard g/box coupling fitted new 2.5 shafts directly into 2.8 cups........... many long nights,several cold shoulders, long silences,lots of swearing and head scratching, engine and box in and out so many times, i can do it in 40 mins ! passed mot without a worry, its now on the road, to earn its keep.

it doesnt have power steering cos i stupidly swopped the power rack (Delfin Designs)to purchase a 2.5 engine that was knackered (you couldn't hold a conversation in cab whilst it was running) and flat out at 46mph, hit a hill 5-4-3-2nd and once or twice 1st gear !

however it does have 3 washers fitted to alter the castor angle, and that makes it bearable (lol) or grunt a lot ....!

Archived