Multiple solar panels

cask

Which setup is best will depend on your judgment criteria. You've excluded the two main criteria of cost and output. The 2 x 125 watt setup might be considered preferable because there are fewer electrical connections involved therefore less to give trouble. Even though you excluded cost and output I think you ought to consider them plus weight. 2 x 125 is likely to be cheaper and lighter than 3 x 80 and , in theory at least, should give slightly better output. If you're paying someone else to install it all the 2 x 125 should cost less than the 3 x80 as less work is involved.

D.

Thanks for the replies.

I am considering BP panels; The best prices I can find are currently:

125w @ £645 each and weigh 12 kg.; 80w @£300 each and weigh 7.7 kg.

The overall weights are similar but the 80w would be £390 cheaper.

I would fit them to my existing roof bars rather than directly screw/glue to the roof..

With the wiring, would you take three wires inside and then link them or link externally and then only have one wire to feed through the roof?

Cask

I'd connect them externally in parallel inside a waterproof connector box stuck to the roof and take one cable in to the van via a waterproof cable entry also stuck to the roof with sealant.

Archived