Upper Loire Valley / Canal du Midi.

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

SWMBO has decided that we should drive down through France in September following roughly the course of the Loire from Orleans towards it's source and then onwards to Montpelier to follow roughly the Canal du Midi to Toulouse and the Garonne toward Bordeaux and thence homewards.

Does anyone with experience of these parts of France have any words of wisdom for us please?

Many thanks.

We did a similar trip a couple of years ago we followed the Midi ,and Garronne all the way to SETE on the Med, great trip, we used aires and wild camped all the time, if that is your bag,,call in at the Marinas for free maps of the canal and Marinas and you will find lots of overnight parking places on the route, look out for wild Fig Trees on the canals fantastic Figs to pick also Walnuts. We became friendly with people on the hire boats plying the canal and kept meeting them as we progressed along the canals, We would find a parking place for the night and then cycle the canal in each direction for about 10 miles and then move to another place along the canal thus seeing most of the canal, a great trip.

We live close to the Canal du Midi and would happily answer any queries about the area. We first passed through in 1970 taking an old motorsailer back from Malta to England and liked it enough to eventually live here. Unfortunately we will be away in Spain when you pass by so cannot offer a place in the vineyards for a quiet night.

Guest Tracker

Many thanks Malc and James - sorry if the thought of us arriving has driven you away James - I do have that effect on people sometimes!

Shame though and I really appreciate the sentiment as it would have been good to chew the cud with an ex pat over a bottle of summat - and we could have brought you any hard to get favourite supplies from dear old England!

• 4 weeks later...

Now that all the conspiracies to stop us going have been resolved we plan to book a ferry early next week - unless summat else crops up to spoil the fun - and to be 'over there' for about three weeks(ish)!

As we are taking Rosie we plan to visit a vet in or near Marquise for the neccesary expenditure which is on the way back towards the ferry ports and I wonder if anyone has experience of any of the 5 vets listed for this town - or of any others in the area - please.

Does anyone have any experience of an open ended return ferry ticket so we can return when we feel like it and not be bound by a specified date please.

Many thanks.

I don't know whether it still applies, but we used to travel with Norfolk Line when going for the winter. I always booked the latest possible return date, but we just arrived at the terminal in France whenever we were ready to go home and they always put us on the next ferry with no fuss or extra charge. They just put your registration number into their computer to check that you had paid for a crossing. They still seem to offer excellent value too. Hopefully someone will confirm that it still works like this.

As to the open ended ferry ticket, we always travel on a sea France carnet ticket, travel almost when you like,plus very good price, only disadvantage you have to buy min of 3returns, this works well for us, never had to wait long to go on a ferry after just turning up.

Happy trips,

As to the open ended ferry ticket, we always travel on a sea France carnet ticket, travel almost when you like,plus very good price, only disadvantage you have to buy min of 3returns, this works well for us, never had to wait long to go on a ferry after just turning up.

Happy trips,

Happy trips,

Richard

There's a very good vet at Wimereux - we used him when Romy badly broke one of her dew claws the day before we were due to come home a couple of years ago, he speaks very good English and they were extremely friendly:

Popieul Dominique, 47 Rue Napoléon, 62930 Wimereux, France

+33 3 21 83 46 02

There's also a very nice vet at Eu which we use now - on our recent return it cost us 34 euros for our 2 dogs, we supplied the Frontline, they supplied the wormer:

Ste Fait Amyot Garnier G. Grardel T., 35 Boulevard Thiers, 76260 Eu, France

+33 9 71 55 96 15

There's also a vet at Ardres who we've used a lot and they are very good too:

Clinique Veterinaire du Camp Du Drap D'Or, Place du Champ de Foire, 62610 Ardres, France

+33 3 21 35 40 03

And if you want one a bit further south, we used this one when Lily was poorly and she was very pleasant indeed:

Foyer Marie-Hélène, 95 Rue Libération, 27210 Beuzeville, France

+33 2 32 57 72 00 ?

Avoid vets in Boulogne sur Mer - it is extortionate there!!!

If you go near Tours there is a Acsi site, that charges 13 Euro for Van + Elec and has indoor and outdoor swimming pool, tennis court ,all free. Nice bar and shop. Also has wi-fi at small charge, as that's what I am using at present. Was only going to be a stop over but now decided to stay for a few days....

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mel, many thanks for the selection of vets - I've noted them all as we can never be sure which way we will head back to Calais - but Ardres looks most likely at the moment!

You can all look forward to three weeks of peace and quiet unless it's raining and we find a wifi/fon point as the ferry is booked Sea France for Weds PM returning in three weeks!

If anyone else is around the upper Loire valley / Millau / Canal du Midi / Bordeaux area in the next three weeks we would be happy to meet up for a coffeee and a natter?

I doubt we will use any sites as the latest Aires book from Vicarious is very comprehensive!

Tracker - 2011-09-14 2:03 PM

Now that all the conspiracies to stop us going have been resolved we plan to book a ferry early next week - unless summat else crops up to spoil the fun - and to be 'over there' for about three weeks(ish)!

As we are taking Rosie we plan to visit a vet in or near Marquise for the neccesary expenditure which is on the way back towards the ferry ports and I wonder if anyone has experience of any of the 5 vets listed for this town - or of any others in the area - please.

Does anyone have any experience of an open ended return ferry ticket so we can return when we feel like it and not be bound by a specified date please.

Many thanks.

Richard we use the Vet at Clinique Veterinaire Des Caps which is in Marquise Ave Ferber Tel: 33321928912 it is next door to the Carifour Supermarket which is on the main road running through the village, we park in there walk out on to the road turn left and it is the first white building you cant miss it . They are very reasonable a lot cheaper than in Calais and the Vet does speak English, we have seen a different one the five times we have used them and all are very helpful speaking good English although they will say they only speak a little. Have a good trip but if your using Campsites you might find a lot of them winding down if not already closed.

Many thanks Maggy.

Just for anyone else who may be confused when they can'y locate Ferber - it's Ferber Ave, Marquise!

We hope the weather is less inclement than Scotland in September - but I enjoyed your tale of woe!

As time passes we can look back on these 'highlights' and smile at life's rich tapestry of events!

Tracker - 2011-09-19 1:58 PM

Many thanks Maggy.

Just for anyone else who may be confused when they can'y locate Ferber - it's Ferber Ave, Marquise!

We hope the weather is less inclement than Scotland in September - but I enjoyed your tale of woe!

As time passes we can look back on these 'highlights' and smile at life's rich tapestry of events!

Yes your right Richard I copied Ave Ferber as that is how it eppears on receipts etc; its probably the French way of saying it.

As you say you want better weather than we had ! but its unusual we have always been lucky with our Scotland trips up to now :-D its sods law though if there is any displays etc; keep away..

That tale of woe was a learning curve we wont be trying that maneuver again!!

Archived