Uprating from 3500kgs

Jono

Hi

I am new to MH and not very mechanically minded, so be gentle.

I sometimes see the words " uprated to 3850 Kgs, (can be changed back to 3500 if required)". Other than potential pay load benefits, can anyone tell me why and how you would want to uprate when the chassis must have been designed to be 3500kgs and how would you change it back?

Many thanks

Jono

I don't know for sure either, but my guesses would be the addition of Air Rides to upgrade and just a paper exercise to downgrade to make it legal for over 70 s to drive without the Grand dad HGV rights thus a new rating plate, I'm sure someone will know the true facts.

Jono, I think you have the idea a bit back to front!!

The chassis are designed to take more than 3500Kg initially but, in order to get around various license and toll considerations are plated down to 3500Kg. This makes the van more appealing to anyone with a 3500 restriction and to anyone who worries about motorway tolls or speed limit restrictions - strangely enough, many of these people will probably be busting their payload limits everytime they drive!!

Most vans with a single rear wheel (on each side!!!!) will be restricted to 3880Kg at maximum and many will be restricted to 3500Kg.

Vans with double rear wheels will generally manage a MAM of 4600Kg and some will be more.

I have just uprated my Autosleeper Nuevo II EK from 3300kgs to 3500kgs a paper exercise done through www.svtec.co.uk  £240 + vat now just waiting for my VRD from DVLA . svtec were more than helpfull with their services they do upgrades and downgrades all details on their website. I must ad I have no connection with this company only as a satisfied customer.

We uprated our last van from 3300 to 3500 as we were always over the weight limit. Even with the uprating there was litle spare capacity. The governing factor was tyre weight limit. This is printed on the tyres at a given pressure.

Our present Sprinter 316 would have a standard panel van weight limit of 3500kg but it was uprated at the time of manufacture by Pilote to 3800. The maximum rear axle loading matches the weight limit of the tyres at 2240kg (single wheel each side). However, the front axle is under its max weight.

We have weighed the van several times and find that fully laden for a long trip, with two people on board, we are just about on the rear axle weight limit, but within the 3800kg overall limit.

I think it's worth checking van weight at a weighbridge. It's a good starting point before thinking about uprating.

H

All vans I know of the total of max axle loads is greater than MAM, in most cases this is to allow some degree of 'uneven' loading, some times the uprating is just to add these greater loads together, this could take it outside manufacturers spec. Some chassis (like ours) are designed for a greater load and then down graded, this could be 'upgraded' and still remain inside manufacturers specs, also there are upgrades availible to up max axle loads. So could be any of these

Hi folks, I upgraded my Dethleffs Globebus from 3500 to 3700 Kgs. This was done through Svtech and was a paperwork exercise, no vehicle modifications required. The max axle loadings for my Ducato X250 chassis is 1800Kg front and 2000Kg rear, total 3800kg. For whatever reason SV Tech only went to 3700kg. By doing so the vehicle is now classed as a Private Heavy Goods vehicle and as a consequence there is a reduction in Road tax. As it turns out, even when fully loaded for two crew, I never get near the original Max Gross Weight of 3500Kg. My main concern is to load up so as to offload the front axle, there is never any danger of overloading the rear axle. When the time comes and I reach ancient mammalhood (70) i will downgrade to 3500kg.

Hi this uprating post keeps on coming up every now and again.

lots of outandabout members Know about the saga that I had for three years with my origanal motorhome.

Fiat stated to me that they do not recomend the uprating of the X250 and that there are people out there that will do it for you, but! Fiat do not condone this practice, AND if your vehicle is under three years old it could invalidate your warrenty.

Fiat stated to me that! Your vehicle is built to withstand the strains and stresses of the weights recomended by Fiat.

And if you exceed them dont go running back to them.

But what do I know people are doing it all the time so there is always someone that will come back and tell me I am wrong.

Mike

SvTech are one of the firms that get good write ups in the motorhome fraternity. Its website says ..

"The main reason for wanting to uprate is so you can carry more load, better known as payload. Depending upon the make/model of motor-home you have, uprating may be as simple as a converters plate and letter of declaration, others may require actual physical changes, such as wheel and tyre and/or suspension modifications".

You need to check your driving licence to ensure you are entitled to drive over 3.5 tonnes without taking a further test.

Just to add that some M/homes (Rapido for one) catelogues specify the "same" motorhome but availaible with either 3.5 or 3.6 ton GVW (Gross Vehicle weight). Whens you buy it new, the buyer can specify what is required at no extra charge.

If you buy secondhand, and want to change GVW up or down, the dealer returns your original plate and issues a new one (at a cost !)

As regards the Peage, it seems that a 3.8 and 3.5 ton vehicle is charged the same, as visually there is no differnce.

Rgds

Archived