Idiot of the week

euroserv

No Francisgraham you miss the point. It is not what this particular customer does that matters it is what showing goodwill and posting it on forums such as this, that results in long term gains for the company. But as we said if this company feels that avoiding a £200 payout is more important than building for the future then good luck to them; end of story.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
robertandjean - 2011-08-21 2:50 PMNo Francisgraham you miss the point. It is not what this particular customer does that matters it is what showing goodwill and posting it on forums such as this, that results in long term gains for the company. But as we said if this company feels that avoiding a £200 payout is more important than building for the future then good luck to them; end of story.

So where does a company draw the line? £1000, £2000? This was a £45 hire! And you couldn't be more wrong if you think that this will somehow stop this company building for the future!

Sensible customers know if a firm has treated people fairly and most people, it would appear, feel that Euroserve is not being unreasonable.

I never fail to be amazed at what some consumers consider reasonable, and it seems to be the ones in nice well paid jobs who have never had to take the risk of running their own business, who are the worst. Every week in Honest John's motoring column in the DT there is someone moaning because a car manufacturer won't offer a goodwill payment for a repair on a seven-year-old vehicle! I'm glad to say that HJ always tells them to stop being unreasonably stupid!

It would appear that your philosophy, is that any company that is faced with a large bill that is not of its doing, should simply roll over and pay! So, if someone comes in, moaning because their six-year-old car needs a new clutch and they think that the dealer or manufacturer should contribute, you presumably would argue that they should, in order to build their 'long-term future'?

There is little loyalty these days with the modern consumer. They will soon forget that you've paid a high price for their own mistakes and the next time they need to buy something they'll go wherever the deal is best. Any one reading these forums will soon learn what interests people the most - the lowest price!

But as I said earlier, it's just a 'company' so it's not real money like the £200 in your pocket is it?

Guest pelmetman

I think Euroserv has already proved himself to be a generous, conscientious, and professional proprietor, by the way he has given freely of his time and in depth knowledge to help the many forumites with problems, especially with the Sevel Saga:D

So now he's expected to fund other peoples misfortunes...........8-)     

Starting to pull our hair out here!! Point we are making is really simple but will try to make it clearer. It just seemed to us that if the original post Nick had said "and by the way in this case as a good will gesture we covering the cost this time" it would have put his buisness in a very good light and as such would certainly be of longterm benefit to him. But no worries, clearly many people think highly of the company already, and that's good, and we wish them well for the future.

Regarding our philosophy then we see nothing wrong with companies making fair profits or consumers getting a fair deal, and if both can be achieved at the same time then great. In both cases it is fairness that is important. Companies that look to short term gains at expense of long term benefits will come unstuck in the end, just look what happened to certain banks; in the same way consumers making stupid demands will result in companies showing a reluctance to meet demands that are fair.

Hope this makes things clearer.

robertandjean - 2011-08-21 4:02 PMStarting to pull our hair out here!! Point we are making is really simple but will try to make it clearer. It just seemed to us that if the original post Nick had said "and by the way in this case as a good will gesture we covering the cost this time" it would have put his buisness in a very good light and as such would certainly be of longterm benefit to him. But no worries, clearly many people think highly of the company already, and that's good, and we wish them well for the future. Regarding our philosophy then we see nothing wrong with companies making fair profits or consumers getting a fair deal, and if both can be achieved at the same time then great. In both cases it is fairness that is important. Companies that look to short term gains at expense of long term benefits will come unstuck in the end, just look what happened to certain banks; in the same way consumers making stupid demands will result in companies showing a reluctance to meet demands that are fair.Hope this makes things clearer.

But it isn't simple! Where would you draw the line? If someone had stolen all the wheels and tyres and the bill was £1000, would you still insist that it's in Euroserve's interest to waive the cost?

Presumably you would so, for a £45 hire on which he may net a tenner, you would expect his company to shell out a four-figure sum for some nebulous and perceived goodwill benefit from a custom whom he may never see again.

And as for the tiny number (if any) members of this forum who live near enough to Euroserve to consider hiring a van from him in the future, if you really think that he should worry about them, you have absolutely no idea of calculating the cost/benefit effects of commercial decisions.

Your entire argument seems predicated on the fact that firms should always swallow unfair costs that are no fault of their own in order to obtain some very unlikely future benefit. There lies bankruptcy.

So I ask again, where would you draw the line?

Guest Peter James
robertandjean - 2011-08-21 4:02 PM

inal post Nick had said "and by the way in this case as a good will gesture we covering the cost this time" it would have put his buisness in a very good light .

as what? A mug who will pick up the tab for anything brought back damaged, or with bits missing?

Sorry, but you sound like someone who has never had to work in a competative business, and make a profit.

Guest Peter James
fairweather camper - 2011-08-21 5:43 PM

Poor Nick, see what trying to make people laugh has caused, some people just dont want to laugh, they would rather argue.

I think Nick has upset them by claiming he has found the idiot of the week.

They had to show him they can do better ;-)

Peter James - 2011-08-21 8:02 PM

Poor Nick, see what trying to make people laugh has caused, some people just dont want to laugh, they would rather argue.

Peter et al,

We give up. But what is clear is that if some of the comments here represent the thinking of people who run a small business then no wonder so many fail. Certainly you are right Peter the idot of the week is clear but if you insist we will share the crown with you! And yes the original story did merit a laugh. We promise in future we will really try to stick to posts about France and the aires. All the best to one and all.

For gods sake get a life you lot. Nick was only trying to be a little humorous. This forum are starting to get really boring and tedious and chatterbox is even worse. :-(

robertandjean - 2011-08-21 10:27 PM

Peter James - 2011-08-21 8:02 PM

Peter et al,

We give up. But what is clear is that if some of the comments here represent the thinking of people who run a small business then no wonder so many fail. Certainly you are right Peter the idot of the week is clear but if you insist we will share the crown with you! And yes the original story did merit a laugh. We promise in future we will really try to stick to posts about France and the aires. All the best to one and all.

robertandjean

I can quite understand why you would wish to restrict your posts in future, which is a shame, but having a different opinion on here does not make you an idiot.

All the best

;-)

euroserv - 2011-08-20 11:27 AM

..If you are not insane you must be a philanthropic do gooder and are probably raising money for some endangered ant in the New Forest this weekend..

That was a very unkind thing to say.

This weekend my wife and I (together with 17 other right-thinking volunteers) were standing out in the rain shaking our collection tins to raise funds for my charity "Protect the New Forest Bog Ant".

As naturalists will be aware, this mild-mannered and humerous species (formica picea) is now seriously under threat due to loss of its natural environment (nests only in tussocks in marshy ground) and from direct competition from the aggressive and grumpy Southern Wood Ant (formica rufa).

Our slogan is "More Bogs for the Bog Ant - Death to the Southern Wood Ant". Catchy, eh?

Derek Uzzell - 2011-08-22 8:48 AM

euroserv - 2011-08-20 11:27 AM

..If you are not insane you must be a philanthropic do gooder and are probably raising money for some endangered ant in the New Forest this weekend..

That was a very unkind thing to say.

This weekend my wife and I (together with 17 other right-thinking volunteers) were standing out in the rain shaking our collection tins to raise funds for my charity "Protect the New Forest Bog Ant".

As naturalists will be aware, this mild-mannered and humerous species (formica picea) is now seriously under threat due to loss of its natural environment (nests only in tussocks in marshy ground) and from direct competition from the aggressive and grumpy Southern Wood Ant (formica rufa).

Our slogan is "More Bogs for the Bog Ant - Death to the Southern Wood Ant". Catchy, eh?

A worthy cause indeed Derek.

But just don't let the little bug.ers get in your van - they will chew up your carpets.

;-)

Guest Peter James

I think its just because van hire is a different kind of business. At one end if you have a hotel charging £400 per night, you can accept people nicking the towels or leaving minor damage, because its included in the price. But in a price driven industry like van hire, your costs are always going up, and its a constant battle to recover them from the customer. You can't afford to miss an opportunity like this one.

Anyway, its certainly not worth falling out over it.

robertandjean - 2011-08-21 4:02 PM

Starting to pull our hair out here!! Point we are making is really simple but will try to make it clearer. It just seemed to us that if the original post Nick had said "and by the way in this case as a good will gesture we covering the cost this time" it would have put his buisness in a very good light and as such would certainly be of longterm benefit to him. But no worries, clearly many people think highly of the company already, and that's good, and we wish them well for the future.

Regarding our philosophy then we see nothing wrong with companies making fair profits or consumers getting a fair deal, and if both can be achieved at the same time then great. In both cases it is fairness that is important. Companies that look to short term gains at expense of long term benefits will come unstuck in the end, just look what happened to certain banks; in the same way consumers making stupid demands will result in companies showing a reluctance to meet demands that are fair.

Hope this makes things clearer.

First; Thanks for the support; Derek's hilarious response in particular. I have received emails and PM's from those that think this has all gone a bit nuts and I would agree that while revealing one idiot I do seem to have stimulated a few more!

I have singled out the above post as the most ridiculous and offensive.

While the author has clearly worked themselves into a corner over thier (frankly worrying) point of view they then chuck my business into the same box as the greedy bankers; out for short term gains and at the expense of long term benefits. This leaves me speechless and saddened.

Most importantly; due to the nature of my business I will almost certainly never do any van rental business with any member of this or any other forum. The service that we provide is for businesses only and is stripped of anything other than a great vehicle and excellent back-up in the event of any kind of incident. Our charges are among the lowest in the market place and are only possible because the 'risk' in the hire is borne by the customer. This is the norm in our industry. Only wear and tear items are suffered by us and we give generous allowances for things like wear on tyres that are punctured and cannot be repaired and for damaged windscreens. Fairness has always been the most important aspect of my business just after 'not making a loss' which I am better at than 'making a profit'!

Smart people like the above make clever suggestions that might enhance our reputation in this limited and irrelevant (to our business) forum without perhaps realising that making such suggestions has completely the opposite effect. I am not here for fame, notoriety or gain, and if I were it would be rather a waste of time anyway.

You don't understand my business so please just laugh politely at my jokes!

Finally; It is politically correct these days to be positive towards those with mental health issues, so I assure those persons so affected that I bear no ill feeling and will still be here to help you if you need it, and despite being quite seriously offended I would like to put the matter to rest. you did after all wish us well for the future and while I can't think of a word that conveys how little that matters to me it was a semi-nice gesture before you went on with your assassination attempt!

I will concentrate on 'Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman' type jokes in future.

Nick

Hey, Nick. You may recall a couple of months ago I had my cat nicked and we discussed the ins and outs of the straight-through alternative which I opted for, rather than claim an astromical sum through the insurance (I've had no problems with the lack of cat so far, by the way). I recall at the time you mentioning that despite your fleet, you'd surprisingly never had a cat nicked. So when I read your story as to this cack-handed effort, I literally laughed out loud.

On a more serious note, I'm wondering how the authorities deal with cat theft, when someone is actually caught nicking one or trying to sell one. This assumes the correct part was removed, of course! In my case, the thief could be trying to sell something worth a mere hundred quid or so, yet the insurance job would have amounted to over two grand, to put everything right. So, does the punishment equate to the sell-on value of the cat or the much higher cost of making good.

Just thinking aloud.

Shaun

aultymer - 2011-08-21 10:23 PM

Great to know that the cyber bullies on here are almost up to the standard of the 'fun' site.

But they are nothing compared to 'facts'.

So you have been "bullied" on more than one motorhome forum aultymer.

I know those sites well (I don't bother much with Fun but I am a regular poster on Facts).

That says a lot about you. You must not like anyone having a different opinion to your own and take criticism far too seriously. That is how arguments start and some people do not have the basic common sense to understand that. These are forums which serve a valuable purpose, giving rookies a variety of views and information on their chosen pastime.

BUT if anyone knows it all and will not give any credibility to another point of view, then they just drag down the forum to a base level.

ps, I am not bullying, I am giving my opinion of motorhome forums. Some are better than others and that can only be down to the members.

747 - 2011-08-22 7:52 PM

aultymer - 2011-08-21 10:23 PM

Great to know that the cyber bullies on here are almost up to the standard of the 'fun' site.

But they are nothing compared to 'facts'.

So you have been "bullied" on more than one motorhome forum aultymer.

I know those sites well (I don't bother much with Fun but I am a regular poster on Facts).

That says a lot about you. You must not like anyone having a different opinion to your own and take criticism far too seriously. That is how arguments start and some people do not have the basic common sense to understand that. These are forums which serve a valuable purpose, giving rookies a variety of views and information on their chosen pastime.

BUT if anyone knows it all and will not give any credibility to another point of view, then they just drag down the forum to a base level.

ps, I am not bullying, I am giving my opinion of motorhome forums. Some are better than others and that can only be down to the members.

Says a lot about you 747 that you assume I have been bullied on this or any other forum.

I was commenting on the behaviour of members who call others (not necessarily me,) Idiots.

How did your last CRM check go? average or just poor?

WildBill - 2011-08-22 11:03 PM

These posts and the banter they provoke does make for a good laugh. Reminds me of road rage! LOL

Bill

You are correct Bill but it is not really banter is it?

Banter is good natured ribbing by friends who have respect for each other. I do not see much of that on here, just egotists massaging their egos.

Well, I have had enough. I had no option but to deal with all kinds of people (and be diplomatic) when I was working. Once I retired, I realised that I did not have to put up with people I had no time for. You are a fairly new member Bill, go on, fill my boots as I have lost patience with the minority on here who seem to come from another planet.

Bye all.

Shaun - 2011-08-22 6:15 PM

...a couple of months ago I had my cat nicked...

Shaun

Never mind cats being pinched, what about those homeless New Forest bog ants?

Please let's get our priorities right - cats live a cossetted existence, being endlessly fed lobster and chicken, sleeping on their own duvets in centrally-heated bedrooms, getting money-no-object medical treatment paid for by their owners ("owners" - that's a laugh!), but the poor bog ants, trampled on (literally) by society, many without even a muddy puddle to call their own, just get ignored.

What's wrong with motorcaravanners nowadays?

I'm certain that, when the Jagos edited MMM magazine, heart-string-wrenching articles on the welfare of New Forest bog ants would have regularly appeared. Forget hare-brained ideas like MMM lobbying the government for UK aires and motorcaravanners subscribing to petitions for 'fair' fuel prices, let's have a complete MMM issue (plus a separate Out&AboutLive forum section) dedicated to the horrific plight of the down-trodden bog ant.

The bog ants need motorcaravanners' support and they need it NOW!

Derek Uzzell - 2011-08-23 8:31 AM

Shaun

Please let's get our priorities right - cats live a cossetted existence, being endlessly fed lobster and chicken, sleeping on their own duvets in centrally-heated bedrooms, getting money-no-object medical treatment paid for by their owners ("owners" - that's a laugh!), but the poor bog ants, trampled on (literally) by society, many without even a muddy puddle to call their own, just get ignored.

I'm certain that, when the Jagos edited MMM magazine, heart-string-wrenching articles on the welfare of New Forest bog ants would have regularly appeared. Forget hare-brained ideas like MMM lobbying the government for UK aires and motorcaravanners subscribing to petitions for 'fair' fuel prices, let's have a complete MMM issue (plus a separate Out&AboutLive forum section) dedicated to the horrific plight of the down-trodden bog ant.

Derek - your story has touched my heart :'(

Put me down for a couple of thousand ants, I'll look after them.

PS Are they best sautéed or poached? :-> :->

laimeduck - 2011-08-23 8:59 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2011-08-23 8:31 AM

Shaun

Derek - your story has touched my heart :'(

Put me down for a couple of thousand ants, I'll look after them.

PS Are they best sautéed or poached? :-> :->

Now you are just being silly *-) *-)

Archived