Kindle

PJay

I love my 3G Kindle because it is light to hold, the controls are perfectly placed for either hand, I can browse, buy and download a book from just the Kindle; my last download was on the Kindle in less than a minute. have recently returned from a 3 month Europe trip and The Kindle was light and not bulky as it used to be when travelling with your own library and i could top up painlessly. We travelled with friends and she could not always get her non-3G Kindle to connect and regretted not buying the 3G. Have just read a "paper" and found it so awkward as it was so heavy (yes, I have adapted to the Kindle that much!) to hold, let alone bulky to cart around. Hope this is helpful and happy reading!

Guest 1footinthegrave
For the OP, I'll try to clear up any misunderstanding over the two versions. The more expensive 3g version allows a connection through the mobile phone network, the cheaper one is Wi-Fi enabled which allows a connection through non encrypted Wi-Fi hotspots, for other "public" networks some you will need a pass key for, at places like campsites this key will be available at the site office, or establishments like motorway areas and the like. You can of course connect to your own wireless router with the cheaper version as well. Or download all your books in advance at home, and considering the thousands that the device potentially holds that should be good for a good many years ! ! !

Guest pelmetman

At risk of incurring the wrath of One Foot:D................I used to read a lot, but then I started reading Patrick O'brian, and I have been stumped since I came to the end the series, and as he has passed on. I have struggled to find anything that's not formulaic, so a Kindle would be of little use to the likes of me who would not know what to download:-S

But I am finding the free books that are often available at reception very good at spreading my reading habits;-)

I would like to think I still have an open mind, but not an open wallet(lol)  

Guest 1footinthegrave
Why would you think you'd incur my wrath, I don't read books,probably a kick back from Grammar school having to read stuff like Shakespeare which bored me to death, when I would have much preferred to be round the back of the bike sheds with Julie or Anne, but my wife is an avid reader. The KIndle has had a huge benefits for me though, no more being dragged round the charity shops, and extra space in the van for my hobby items. ;-)

3G version for me.

Other than in the motorhome, comes in handy on the train - no more dashing to WHSmiths to pick up a newspaper...sit on the train, download it over the 3G connection.

Worth it over the wifi version for me for this flexibility alone.

pelmetman - 2011-08-22 7:10 PMAt risk of incurring the wrath of One Foot:D................I used to read a lot, but then I started reading Patrick O'brian, and I have been stumped since I came to the end the series, and as he has passed on. I have struggled to find anything that's not formulaic, so a Kindle would be of little use to the likes of me who would not know what to download:-S
But I am finding the free books that are often available at reception very good at spreading my reading habits;-)

I would like to think I still have an open mind, but not an open wallet(lol)  
You have the option of a free download of sample (first chapter?) but if like gf you only download free books then you download and if you don't like it delete it.

Thanks all for your replies. I now understand the difference ,between the two (I Think), (thanks to One Foot) and

as I understand it, with the 3G version, would ALWAYS be able to connect via a mobile signal ()Free??) but without 3G would have to be able to get a WI-FI connection which may not be free, and not always available.

PJay - 2011-08-22 10:23 PMThanks all for your replies. I now understand the difference ,between the two (I Think), (thanks to One Foot) and as I understand it, with the 3G version, would ALWAYS be able to connect via a mobile signal ()Free??) but without 3G would have to be able to get a WI-FI connection which may not be free, and not always available.

Correct. There is absolutely no doubt that it is better to have the 3G model, as you can download books almost anywhere. Earlier this year I stayed for a couple of days with some friends at their house in the Loire Valley. They were reading a novel that I liked the look of, so I downloaded it there and then using 3G. Brilliant!

The only decision is whether or not you can justify the extra fifty quid but it must always be better to have something, than not to have it!

You're paying for convenience, which to be fair, some people may never need as they load up their Kindle before going on holiday. 

Guest pelmetman

FREE wifi?..............Suddenly I'm interested:-D.......So just to clarify, a 3G Kindle will receive FREE wifi from ANY mobile signal in the UK or France and Spain, so no separate sim card dongle's etc??

With these Kindles can you surf the net, receive and send emails, order stuff online etc etc:D

pelmetman - 2011-08-23 8:10 AMFREE wifi?..............Suddenly I'm interested:-D.......So just to clarify, a 3G Kindle will receive FREE wifi from ANY mobile signal in the UK or France and Spain, so no separate sim card dongle's etc??

With these Kindles can you surf the net, receive and send emails, order stuff online etc etc:D
Technicaly its not 'free wifi' its a free mobile internet conection, yes you can do all that,I've never tried ordering any thing, but its not particuly good for internet use.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2011-08-23 8:14 PM Technicaly its not 'free wifi' its a free mobile internet conection, yes you can do all that,I've never tried ordering any thing, but its not particuly good for internet use.
Thanks Colin, I'm thinking that free email downloading and sending would be very useful, as I need to log on everyday if possible when abroad, and at a average 5 euros a day for campsite wifi it soon adds up8-)

Sorry to be slightly off topic but anyone contemplating purchase of a Kindle might be interested in what I discovered yesterday: That is you can buy the 3G for £115.99 inc delivery from Amazon and not £152! Just got to press the button for a refurbished one. So for £4.99 over the basic price you can have the benefit of the 3G. Still got the 30 day return if you're not happy and full guarantee so what is there to lose? Mines on it's way, along with the twenty three books I've just bought for £0!!

Well happy!!! :D

Just to be clear the 3G part of a Kindle is nothing to do with wi-fi. It has wi-fi as well but, like any other computer, you need to be within a wi-fi zone, which may, or may not, be free.

3G means that it connects to the web using a mobile phone signal, just as a dongle would. Yes it's free (for now) but surfing the web using a Kindle is a slow, frustrating and extremely unsatisfactory experience.

The cheapest way to send and receive email for instance, is with a suitable Smartphone. Transmitting and receiving a small number of emails every day costs pence.

Anyone wanting to use the Internet should stop and park at any MacDonald's that they pass, and log on free of charge, or I believe that more and more sites now offer free wi-fi and I think that the number will grow.

The free ones tend not to have a networked system around the site and you need to go near to reception to get a signal but that's a small price to pay for a free service. Also, a wi-fi booster, as mentioned in another thread lower down, is a very good investment.

The Kindle is brilliant, I have the 3G version, but it's no substitute for my netbook.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I just echo "again" the above, remember there is no track pad, or mouse, so "surfing the net" can be a bit of a chore. Look here to see it being used accessing the internet. Otherwise it is fab.

PJay - 2011-08-22 10:23 PM

Thanks all for your replies. I now understand the difference ,between the two (I Think), (thanks to One Foot) and

as I understand it, with the 3G version, would ALWAYS be able to connect via a mobile signal ()Free??) but without 3G would have to be able to get a WI-FI connection which may not be free, and not always available.

I have just bought a refurbished 3G model last week, Absolutely great.

One point I found is that the mobile signal needs to be fairly strong, at the Malvern show my mobile phone showed a good signal, but the Kindle struggled to maintain an 'edge' connection.

I particularly like the dictionary feature, a tickle of the 5 way touchpad and up pops a definition, love it.

Lots of info on MHF about it.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2011-08-24 8:17 AMI just echo "again" the above, remember there is no track pad, or mouse, so "surfing the net" can be a bit of a chore. Look here to see it being used accessing the internet. Otherwise it is fab.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ynDSF9blfE&feature=related
Thanks for the link:D.............Hmmm....looks like hard work:-(............Back to the thrift drawing board(lol)

Hi, I think the thing to remember is that if you want to connect to internet and do things more than the very, very basic that Kindle do then buy the ipad and down load the kindle app for it. If you just want it to use as a replacement for a book - it's fabulous.

T5T

First, I think they're a wonderful invention. Liz got one as a leaving present when she retired, and now takes that in the van instead of several LARGE paperbacks. She has very poor vision, so she loves the fact that she can set the font size to suit her. I thought I'd probably get one myself as well, since we can't both read it at the same time, but then I discovered that ...

Second, you can get a free bit of software from Amazon to use a PC as a Kindle. So I put it on my little netbook, and hey presto I've got my own Kindle without spending the money. Result or what?

Finally, I wrote a book myself during my Sabbatical, and found an article in a PC magazine which explained very simply how to convert it into both epub and Kindle formats. I haven't "published" it on Amazon yet - family and friends have to proof-read it first!

It's called "FAQ - the tricky bits of the Christian faith."

It's an attempt to answer in plain English (or at least not evade too blatantly) some of the questions that people (especially young people) have asked me over the years.

If anyone wants to help with the proofreading, PM me with an e-mail address, and tell me whether you use a Kindle or a Sony/iPad, and I'll send you a copy (FREE, so this isn't an advert, just a plug!).

Archived