LPG

Syd

In Italy bulk LPG is readily available and frequently it is served for you by an attendant. But you need an adaptor to change from from the UK spec, which some of the filling stations have. Sorry, can't help with Austria.

H

Syd - 2011-08-20 5:35 PM

Could anyone please tell me if LPG is readily available in Austria and Italy. At the pumps

Many Thanks

You might be refused Auto gas (LPG) in Italy as it should not be used for domestic purposes. I've known people to be refused in the past mainly at service stations on the main roads.

We make sure we have enough gas for Italy so we don't have a problem. In the past we have filled up with auto gas in Sardinia with no problems at all.

You will need this adapter to refill the pic is from Tinley tech site.

Don

883395846_ClawgunAdaptor.jpg.278b15d524fcb6990548b7b0f48a1df7.jpg

Thanks very much for the info.

I have several adaptors Don and that one is in the pack.

I may need to fill one re-fillable bottle but I have the filling point at the rear of the car on the towbar bracket, it wont be desperate but just covering bases

Syd

Many thanks olley and peejay, just what I needed, going to Salzburg first as I have a bit of singing to do and running up and down the hills as you do, from there down to lake Garda then the grand Italy tour.

Hi Syd,

Last year in Italy we had an attendant run towards the van as I filled up our Gaslow.

This was not a problem of re fillable tanks, or the fact that my filler point is in the locker, or because we were not using the gas for propulsion.

We managed to ascertain that ALL gas in Italy should be dispensed by an attendant because of the native Italian habit of smoking wherever they are!!

aultymer - 2011-08-22 10:27 PM

Hi Syd,

Last year in Italy we had an attendant run towards the van as I filled up our Gaslow.

This was not a problem of re fillable tanks, or the fact that my filler point is in the locker, or because we were not using the gas for propulsion.

We managed to ascertain that ALL gas in Italy should be dispensed by an attendant because of the native Italian habit of smoking wherever they are!!

Thanks for that info, you have made me decide that we will refill our bottle's in Austria now or may even take a third bottle with us

Syd, don't worry about filling in Italy.

The guy explained that he had to do all the filling of LPG - not just motorhomes.

It was in their company regulations. There was no problem. I just did not get to enjoy the blast of gas when you disconnect - the attendand did it all.

Then I reversed, with the toad, to position myself to take on diesel while a car load of polis with guns watched. They came over to see how it worked and one took a note of the Car-a-Tow phone number because he had been looking for one for his own van!

France is good but Italy is a whole new world of laid back people and good food.

Just fill up when you see a pump - we couldn't fill LPG at an otherwise self service station where there was no attendant on a Sunday.

Going off topic a bit but for the first timers in Italy be aware than on most of the large manned service stations you pay a few cents extra per litre for fuel if the attendant does the job.

There's always a set of pumps for self service, they are usually hidden by signs and other bits a pieces. I always stop short of the pumps and check which is the self service pump. It can be a considerable saving if you do a lot of miles in Italy and have a large motorhome.

The station usually display the self service price on the large signs on the approach.

Safe travelling.

Don

Archived