Internet via mobile phone connected to laptop

Guest JudgeMental

Guest 1footinthegrave

No I did not misunderstand, Judgemental was asking about use abroad. How ever you configure the connection, if you do it through your phone and the mobile phone network, you WILL incur some pretty hefty charges,unless you have as someone else outlined a pre-determined "roaming" package for use abroad. The majority of users by default will not have that. I repeat you will not be going through your UK provider,you will be using a non UK provider. I don't personally care, I won't be getting the bill, with respect I know fully what I am doing.

Go into your smart phone settings and you will see the following warning.

Turn data roaming off when abroad to prevent substantial charges when using email, or web browsing.

Also you will read this , depending on the mobile phone's carrier, tethering may be provided at no extra cost. However, some carriers impose a one time charge to enable tethering, while others forbid tethering or impose added data charges, that applies to the UK.

You need to be very sure of what you are doing when abroad, there have been numerous cases of folk as I have said for the umpteenth time facing very large bills when they get back home..Don't say that 1foot did not warn you !

Read up on IP addresses is a good idea as well as far as identifying you.Some carriers inspect your HTTP traffic for the so-called user agent string in order to detect tethering

Don't think anyone has mentioned this above - if they have I'm afraid I've missed it - but where mobile phones are concerned, there is no such place as "abroad". The rates vary from network to network, and from country to country, and vary again depending on which UK provider you are with, and which package you have.

This is not "aimed" an any contributor above, so I apologise if it falls beneath the post of anyone giving such advice but, IMO, it is totally fruitless, and potentially misleading, to speak from your own experience of costs with provider A on package B in country C using network D. If any one of those variables changes, the charges can alter radically, to the considerable cost of anyone who follows such advice.

Various folk have referred above to rates in "Europe". First, the comments above regarding provider, package, country, and network, all apply across Europe, second, whereas the EU has moved to control call charges within the EU area I have a feeling this does not yet apply to roamed data rates, and third, Eddie's (Judgemental's) query related to Croatia, and Croatia, not yet being in the EU, is not covered by the EU agreement. As an accession state it may have chosen to observe the ruling: I don't know. When we were in Croatia our cheapest option was to buy a PAYG SIM, but only for voice/texts as data was excluded from the PAYG we got.

If you really want to know how much data roaming may cost you, you have only one way to find out. Phone your provider, tell them which package you are on, and ask them the roamed data rate for the country/ies you will visit. Even then you may get several answers depending on whose network your phone picks up, and whether or not that network is a "preferred" network.

If you want to do this, and you don't check carefully, you run the risk of truly eye-watering bills. The fact that someone else "got away with it" is no guarantee that you will. The network and phone providers have spent years perfecting an impenetrable spiders-web of rates precisely to make it as difficult to understand as they can, and by and large they have succeeded! It's like on old maps: "here be monsters"! Be careful! :-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian, with respect I think we can all work out the difference between being in the UK on your network provider signal, and being anywhere else. As you and I have said read the detail or contact your provider.

1footinthegrave - 2011-11-06 1:28 PM

Brian, with respect I think we can all work out the difference between being in the UK on your network provider signal, and being anywhere else. As you and I have said read the detail or contact your provider.

Well, with equal respect, if you read all of the above posts I think you will see that not everyone seems to have grasped the risks.

With even greater respect, even you have said: "the difference between being in the UK on your network provider signal, and being anywhere else." That, to me, is still ambiguous advice, because of the reference to "anywhere else", which could be taken to imply that that all of "anywhere else" may be construed as being the similar.

That was exactly the point I wanted to make, all of "anywhere else" cannot be taken to be the same, the actual costs vary by country, and by the network that is picked up. However, I guess that is now, finally, clear. :-D

lennyhb - 2011-11-05 12:52 PM

T-Mobile appears to be the only provider that does not allow tethering but they do not appear to be able to detect tething on an Andriod phone and there are programs that you can download that hide tethering.

They detect tethering by the TTL associated to the IP packets each hop on a network reduces the TTL by 1. Smartpones have a different TTL to your PC, iphone for example is 64 your PC is likely to be 127 if you reset the TTL to 65 on your PC they won't detect the tethering.

Regarding Dave's comment of linking your phone to your laptop & using the phones wifi, not a lot of point as the RX/TX on the wifi card in the laptop will be more sensitive/powerful than the phone's. Also for better wifi reception there are long range USB wifi adaptors available.

I always use wifi abroad as I have seen some peoples horrendous bills for 3g like £1200 to download a 400meg file. Also I've just changed to Talkmobile good for the UK but data roaming in the EU is silly £12/meg.

Thanks for the above posting as I found it very informative. I have tethered my laptop in the past to my Nokia N72 with T Mobile and never been questionedB although to be fair I only used it at the weekend. I have now upgraded my mobile to an HTC Wild Fire and this allows me to create a WFI hotspot that I can tether my iPad to. Again I have had no problems from T Mobile.

At the moment I am in Benidorm, in a Deloix, 4 days Internet for €3 which is a good deal. Having said that I have just left the Rincon seafront where I logged in the mobile for free.

I have switched off my roaming options to ensure I do not incurr heavy charges but as I am on PAYG, no problems.

Posted from my iPad

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2011-11-06 1:40 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-11-06 1:28 PM

With even greater respect, even you have said: "the difference between being in the UK on your network provider signal, and being anywhere else." That, to me, is still ambiguous advice, because of the reference to "anywhere else", which could be taken to imply that that all of "anywhere else" may be construed as being the similar.

. :-D

Sheer gobbledygook Brian, of course being anywhere could be described as similar in that you could be faced with additional large charges, and I'm sure everyone can make that distinction. But you have the final word for the ones amongst us who can't add 2 and 2 together. That will bring a warm glow I'm sure...........

1footinthegrave - 2011-11-06 4:35 PM....................................Sheer gobbledygook Brian, of course being anywhere could be described as similar in that you could be faced with additional large charges, and I'm sure everyone can make that distinction. But you have the final word for the ones amongst us who can't add 2 and 2 together. That will bring a warm glow I'm sure...........

:-S

Archived