Winter tyres

Smithy14

Could someone advise me on winter tyres, do you know if all season tyres give a much reduced millage? if so any recomendations on winter only tyres. Also are snow chains needed with winter tyres, and if so is this on all wheels or just drivind wheels. Thanks

Welcome to the forum Smithy

I'm sure that someone with experience of winter tyres and chains will be along to advise ( and will probably ask where you are going) but in the meantime, if you Google " Winter Tyres" you can get some helpful info from Kwik-Fit etc.

(Bear in mind though that their advice is from people who want to sell tyres!)

;-)

• 1 month later...

We had Dunlop SP LT 800 all season tyres (marked M&S) *** fitted in August 10. Not by choice but of necessity following a blowout in Germany. The garage took a very sniffy view of our "old" tyres, date stamped yr 2000. In Germany apparently tyres must be replaced after 8 (or it might be6?) years irrespective of wear.

Since then we've driven 11,000 km in HOT Sun and snow.

Back in the Uk I asked a Dunlop techie what was the difference betwen winter & summer tyres. He told me the tyre wall is more flexible, but I've not noticed any effect. Also the compound is "stickier". He said we might notice increased road noise and he may be right. It hasn't bothered me. We might be talking half a decibel, so possible only noticeable if you had metering eqipment.

He also said they might wear more, so we might only get eg 60,000 miles instead of 70,000 but if you think we only do about 6kor 7k per year, we'd need to replace them because of age before they wore out.

What IS different is that in snow, compared to the previous summer tyres, our truck is more sure footed. And where before I'd be thinking should I fit chains...? now I just keep going. The first winter snow going up the Brenner pass was such a time. Sunshine and clear roads to 12" of snow in 6 hours.

I keep a very close eye on fuel consumption and we're still averaging 21.7 mpg. No change.

M&S is the mark on the tyre wall denoting suitability for use in snow (It might mean Mud & snow, - not sure) Personally I can't think why any light truck that might be venturing into mud or snow should NOT fit them.

In Austria it is mandatory for any vehicle up to 3,500 kg to use M&S tyres in snow conditions OR fit chains, but then only provided the chains don't damage the road.

I can't think why it should be necessary to inform an insurance company. These are not studded, or anything crazy, but I will check and report back.

Sadly the SP LT800 is not available inthe UK as far as I know

We use Avon MS tyres now, superb, no real change in road noise (may actually be quieter) grip in wet on mud and in snow vastly improved and no change to performance in dry conditions. Only problem you may have is they are only available in certain sizes so they may not be available for you see

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/van/vanmaster-ms

Great tyres and British!

Bas

Standard tyres, in UK at least, are basically a "summer" mix. Winter tyres are, as the name suggests, designed for wet slippery conditions at low temperatures.

Do not confuse winter with "all season" tyres, they are not the same thing: all season being a compromise between winter and standard and, in my view, more suited to general motorhome use than the standard tyre and, IMO, the "Camping" tyre.

M+S rated tyres are, as suggested above, categorised Mud and Snow tyres, that have a generally more aggressive tread pattern and softer compound designed to improve traction in "softer" conditions.

I believe M+S marked, all season, tyres, may satisfy the recent German requirement for winter type tyres to be fitted to vehicles whenever conditions are unsuitable for summer tyres, but check this as the German law seems a bit vague, and places the onus on the driver to ensure his vehicle is adequately equipped.

You should not mix any of these types of tyre across an axle, and should not fit winter tyres to one axle only. Fitting all season tyres to just one axle is not generally recommended, but is not so strongly counter indicated as mixing winter tyres with anything else.

Winter tyres are claimed to have a softer tread compound, which seems logical, but it is generally considered undesirable to use them all year as the wear rate is higher than for other types, and the compound may soften excessively in very hot conditions - reportedly sufficiently for the tread to begin "chunking".

It should be noted that winter tyres only retain their classification under the German law while they have more than (from memory) 4mm tread depth.

Chains must be used between certain dates on certain Alpine and Pyrenean roads, and also elsewhere in Europe in mountainous regions. They are also generally required whenever snow is lying, irrespective of dates, in such regions, and fines may be levied on vehicles that cause hold-ups because they are not so equipped. So far as I know, they are required on driving wheels only, to ensure vehicles do not cause hold-ups. They may add little benefit on braking. Generally, they must be removed where roads are clear of snow, and there are speed restrictions (and possibly in addition manufacturer's recommendations) that apply when they are fitted.

Chains can be fitted to tyres of all types. Winter tyres are not a substitute for chains, chains are specifically for use on snow-bound roads, winter tyres are designed for ice and slippery, cold, wet conditions.

Neither make vehicles bullet-proof, and driving techniques must be adapted to the conditions. 3.5 tonnes of sideways motorhome is interesting, and it takes quite a long time to get it back straight!

Be aware that (at least FWD) Ford Transit based vehicles must have narrower section tyres fitted to the front wheels whenever chains are fitted, because of inadequate inner wing clearances.

Hi Brian

Thanks for all that info - we've been considering getting some snow chains for our Ford FWD Chausson but have come across the 'problem' on other forums of there not being enough clearance for them! *-)

Not wanting to go to the expense of new tyres, we're now unsure what to do, other than avoid the countries that make it mandatory to have snow chains! :D

I don't think there are any countries that impose a blanket requirement to fit snow chains, just that chains must be fitted when on snowbound roads, and usually on specific passes between specific dates. So, with some research, and a willingness to sit tight until roads are cleared, you shouldn't find the requirement too onerous, unless you want to go high in the Alps etc in winter. What I think you will find more onerous, is the requirement to have suitable tyres on southern German roads between roughly October and March. Compliance with that will cost way more than a set of chains, and you need the correct tyres whether or not chains are carried!

We had a pair of Vredestein "winter" tyres(marked M&S) fitted to the front of our previous van

(...although now,I'm not sure whether that was illegal or just ill advised.. :$ ).

I seem to recall that it took some doing to find something the correct size(15")and which also had the correct weight rating..

I never really noticed any additional road noise or excessive wear to be honest... ;-)

(..just to say,we didn't venture abroad and they were just to help getting on/off muddy fields).

Thank you for you replies nad good advice, the problem now is getting hold of tyres. I was after winter tyres but are unable to get them especially Mitchelin, (but will now look at Avon), Continenal are also difficult to ge, was told I should have ordered in June. Now trying to get two summer tyres,which are also difficult to get, again especially Mitchelin, I do live in Cumbria so maybe this is the problem.

Any advice would be useful

Thanks

You will find M-S tyres are totally suitable for all year round use, I have had 4/4 vehicles, RR's and others plus more sporty motors.For over 30years and all have been fitted with M-S tyres, no problems on wear etc

At all, some were a bit noisy on heavy braking in very hot weather.

Archived