Hobby Siesta downlighter replacements

ferd

The three downlighters in the pelmet above the dining table area have packed in. I removed the glass covers but I can't see how to remove the actual fixture. Also any idea where you get replacements for these?

Hi

I had a slightly older Hobby, 2005, with down lighters.

when one went i found the spot light just pulled out - the bulb was on two pins like some halogen bulbs.

It was a real s** to line up the new one to get it in - lots of swear words then walked away to calm down before i succeeded.

That being said if all three have gone at same time it sounds more like a fuse! i only ever had one go.

Good luck

Peter

ferd

Although you haven't said which Siesta model you own or how old it is, I think Hobby has stayed with the same small-diameter downlighter design since the Siesta range was introduced for Hobby's 2007 model-year.

The small-diameter downlighters are retained by a pair of strongly-sprung 'arms' attached to the back of the fitting. To install a downlighter the fitting is attached to its electrical cabling, the sprung-arms are pushed together so that they are both pointing directly towards the aperture in (in your case) the pelmet and the arms are then inserted through that hole. As the arms are passed through the hole, they will spring outwards behind the pelmet holding the downlighter firmly in place.

To remove a downlighter it is necessary (as Peter advises) to pull the fitting directly outwards from its hole in the pelmet against the pressure provided by the sprung arms. It needs to be said that the sprung arms exert a significant amount of pressure and, if the hole in the pelmet has been bored on the narrow side, removing the fitting may be a challenge. If this proves to be so, you might try pulling first on one side of the downlighter to 'unspring' the arm on that side, then pull on the downlighter's opposite side.

I'm doubtful that this is a fuse problem simply because, if it were, I'd expect more than just the three pelmet downlighters to be out of action. My own Hobby's wiring-diagram (such as it is!) indicates that its 15 light-fittings are protected by just 2 fuses. But you should certainly begin by checking whether a fuse has failed and (assuming your Siesta has a similar CBE-branded system to my motorhome's) the fuses will be located beneath the passenger seat..

As your three non-working downlighters will almost certainly share the same power-supply cable, it's more logical that this is where the fault lies. If you are lucky, a wire will have become disconnected where the cable feeds the first in line of the 3 downlighter fittings and reconnection will cure the problem at a stroke. However, if there's a wiring fault further 'upstream' of the downlighters where the cabling is not accessible, then I wish you well as Hobbys (in my experience) aren't built to be taken apart easily.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. The lights did not fail all at once which makes me think it is not the fuses. I tried pulling on the fitting but the springs just seemed so strong that I was worried I might damage something! I'll give it another go.

I have a Siesta Exclusive T555 FS 2008 plate.

Thanks again

Archived