Sterling battery to battery charger (again)

Barrypat

Please help! my brain is going into melt down, after reading several links on the sterling battery to battery charger I think I may have put the cart before the horse.

I have already purchased this unit and am about to fit it, but after reading various articles on the subject I may have a problem, our motorhome is a 2005 Autotrail Mohican on 2.8 Fiat. It has the standard Sargent EC 200 control system and it has been said on the forums that it is not compatible with the Sterling unit. Does anyone know what the problems are? can I get round these problems? I have spoken to Sargent who were very polite but not very helpfull. I spoke to Sterling and they were very helpfull but confessed to not knowing enough about the sargent unit to be able to give me an answer.

What they did say was if I disconnect the feed to the sargent unit from the split charger all should be ok, This sounds fine but I cant help thinking I could end up with a problem.

I was hoping to get this job done before we set off for Germany at the end of the week but: best laid plans e.t.c.

It could be I may have a sterling battery to battery charger for sale! here's hoping someone can throw some light on my problem.

Regards

Barry

I am a 'technical numpty' so anything I have fitted is done by a man who can.

My van is on a 2004 Fiat. The Sterling B2B charger is not connected to the Hymer control panel and works well.

I have a 4 x 125Ah battery bank. The Hymer charger has been disconnected. Charging is from 2 x 75W solar panels & the B2B. A seperate mains charger is fitted but hardly ever used. The Elecsol batteries are now over 6 years old & still going strong.

All 3 of my charging systems use high rates of charge so I top the batteries up a lot and think this may be why they have been so good.

I can't see any advantage in connecting the B2B to the control system.

• 4 months later...

Archived