rear seat belts

jockgartshore

i have read a lot of confusing items About rear seat belts.

i'm updating my camper, and i wondered if there is a cut off date where not an exemption but an understanding that belts are not required/needed

my van is a J reg 92 Talbot based Autohomes Landliner, only belts fitted are to the driver and passenger seat, there is no belts, but the signs that there could have been as an option.

over to you peoples........................ i know i will get a definitive answer

Vehicle seat-belt installation and usage are covered by specific legislation - forget "understandings".

Cut-off dates (and the type of passenger being carried) are factors within that legislation. Assuming that you have in mind to fit safety-belts to your Landliner's rear seating, then I suggest you refer to this earlier thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24757&posts=6

that, in turn, cross-references to an informative entry on www.ukmotorhomes.net

If (as you seem to be suggesting) your Landliner could have originally be purchased with optional safety-belts on the rear seating (ie. the attachment points are present even though the belts themselves are not), then retro-fitting belts might not be too challenging an exercise. Conversely, if your Landliner has no factory-fitted rear-seating safety-belt attachment points, it is likely to prove difficult and expensive (perhaps even technically impracticable) to retro-fit belts.

Archived