Advice pleae, fitting barrel locks

Dave and Verity

Not sure after re reading your post if this is what you are asking for help with sorry if it isn't!

Hi, had to do this myself but can't remeber the exact positions you have to put the barrel in. I assume you have the lock off the rear of the unit. If you look at the barrel in you pictures 2 and 3 you will see at the end farthest from the key entry there is an 'extra' spring loaded, not sure what you call them 'tumbler' maybe, thingy which is what keeps the barrel in the door handle, this locates in the final track in the door handle. To remove the old one you turn the barrel past it's normal position, can't remember if it is clock or anticlockwise, I believe about a quarter extra turn which disengages that last 'tumbler' and allows you to pull out the barrel, the new one goes in the opposite way. So you can see that is why the lock needs to be removed from the rear to allow the extra turn that is required to disengage the barrel.

Sorry if I have not made it very clear, please ask if you need any further help.

Bas

Guest Tracker

Could it be that the key needs to either be in place or be turned as you insert the barrel so that the tumblers move away from the locked position?

I did one many years ago and can't now remember how t'was done!

That's the trouble with experience - as you get older you forget - very handy when watching BBC tv though!

Archived