Tracker EKS leisure battery losing charge

armstrongpiper

I seem to have a problem with the leisure battery on my 2008 Tracker, in that it is discharging to below 12V in less than a week from a fully charged state. The battery, was new in early July, and is 110 A/h, conventional lead/acid. I have checked that all systems are switched off. The supplier has checked that the battery itself is sound and not discharging internally. The bloke at the storage compound told me his father's Autotrail (of similar age) had a problem which sounds like mine, and a motorhome service depot found a fault with a relay in 'some control panel or other', but I would have to wait till Thursday to talk with this gentleman for more details.

I wondered if anyone has had similar problems, or can offer any comments/advice, please.

Neil B

Hi Neil

I had similar problems.[different vehicle].still have not sorted it yet..however!!...

look on "Hints and Tips forums..about the 24th header down "Battery what else" and you will see some of the advice I have been given from some very knowledgeable guys..it might help.

Good luck

Dave

Has your Tracker got the drop down television and audio system fitted? If so check that it is completely turned off when not in use also if it is being left in storage with the alarm system activated without a solar panel that wont help. Your model should have a dual battery wire tail, make sure if only one leisure battery is being used that it isn't earthing anywhere. Check that the TV booster isn't being left on.

Hi

I also have a Tracker, 2009 version.

When it was 6 months old we had major battery problems and it turned out to be a faulty charging unit - however first there are a few checks to be made:-

1)Do you take off front of radio - that drains battery

2)Is the reversing camera unit etc switched off - rocker switch under the charging unit

3)Three is that light unter the step to the bathroom you can onle see at night (little ricker switch near spot light in front) off

I used a multimeter to check changes in power when charging and not charging (from mains & from the engine and 1 & 3 days after charging the battery) + i used an outside charger to charge up battery as a comparison and under took similar tests - eventually, after ruling out everything else (and keeping copeous notes to prove it), it came down to the charging unit. I spoke to "Sargeant", the manufacturer of the charging unit who were very helpful and eventually sent a replacement under the warranty.

I also had to replace the leisure battery as that also failed, perhaps because it had been run almost flat because it was not being charged properly.

My case was complicated because i have a Battery Master fitted (it goes with the van bitz alarm).

That was 15000 miles & 18 months ago - trouble free since.

It was a frustrating period and it took a several weeks to identify the fault.

Good luck

Peter

Guest Tracker

One very simple cure is to fit a battery isolating switch on the leisure battery.

This can either be on the battery itself, or remote in a more easily accesible location - just make sure you use heavy enough cable.

Thanks for your interesting replies.

I've checked on Hints and tips, battery what else, and most likely thing is possible duff battery - I've left it part charged and disconnected from everything overnight to see if it discharges itself.

All circuits are turned off as far as I can see, including lights, TV units/boosters.

I don't take front off radio, and reverse camera switch is off, but these are powered from the vehicle battery, I think.

The comment about the charger unit could be relevant - Do you mean that the charger unit was discharging the battery, when not connected to mains hook up? I have removed the fuse next the battery overnight, but in the morning I will put an ammeter across the fuse connections and see if there's a current showing which can't easily be explained.

An isolator switch for the battery is an interesting notion - I suppose removing the fuse is as good as, if not quite as convenient, and will help preserve the battery until the problem is solved.

Thanks again,

Neil B

Hi

on my van the "battery master" tops up the vehicle battery from the leisure battery to mitigate the drain from the alarm system over time. Sooo the radio front would drain the vehicle battery which would drain the leisure battery. The radio front is a known drain on the system and whether it was on or off was the first question i was always asked when speaking to Autotrail, Brownhills, or Sargeant.

In my case the charger unit was not charging properly but not sure if it was a drain. I never did get down to the root of the problem or if i did i can't remember the exact outcome. For me it was sufficient that the replacement charger solved the problem.

Peter

An update. Battery retained its charge overnight, when disconnected from all circiuits, so have to take it that the battery is OK.

Then checked on the charger clue, and found that with the charger unit (Sargent EC225) switched off and not conected to mains voltage, battery didn't lose charge. , but when the charger was switched back on (still not on mains), the battery started to lose charge. Then connected the Solar panel and battery proceded to charge normally, which it failed to do previously, when the charger was switched on. So the culprit is probably the EC225.

I have emailed Sargent for their comments/recommendations.

Thanks again for your help

Neil B

Guest Tracker

Still cheaper than changing the van - but not as cheap as fitting a battery isolator switch!

It may be my poor old memory playing tricks but I seem to recall reading somewhere that some Sargant units or control panels are not very solar panel and/or regulator friendly and can do strange things when connected?

I can't find any reference anywhere so I could well be wrong but it would not hurt to ask Sargants when next you speak to them?

Archived