Questions on a Rapido

betsy

Hello All,

I have a 2006 Rapido 986F on a Fiat 2.8JTD base/ALKO chassis. I have a number of questions which I have twice e-mailed the original suppliers (Wokinghams) with not even the courtesy of a reply. Tried the e-mail address mentioned in these columns for Rapido (answer was : e-mail address not valid). Can anybody out there help?

(a) The only two belted seats in my model are the driver's and front passenger's. There are, however, two small black seat belt signs(?) stuck onto the wooden walls above the rear area of the two sideways facing sofas. I have seen these little symbols in other model Rapidos during shows etc. Does this mean that the base vehicle/chassis has fixing points located nearby?

(b) Does this model (or any Fiat based Rapido A class for that matter) have a pollen filter for its cab air-conditioning set-up? If so, where can I find it?

© Has anyone got a "working" e-mail address for Rapido in France?

Thanks for any advice that anyone can offer.

Betsy

Hello Betsy. We don't have a Rapido now but on our previous 2002 Laika we had the same sticker on the side facing seat. On the Registration Document it stated that it was registered for 5 people although there were only 4 seat belts. On the 5th seat there was a padded headrest sideways on so maybe this was all that was needed.

As far as finding the email address for Rapido it should be on the website but I would think that they would be on Holiday at the moment, maybe due back this week.

I think there was someone on this Forum that gave a new email address for Rapido recently, if you use the search facility you will probably find it. This is the link which I found using search.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24488&posts=14

betsy - 2011-08-24 8:59 AM

(a) The only two belted seats in my model are the driver's and front passenger's. There are, however, two small black seat belt signs(?) stuck onto the wooden walls above the rear area of the two sideways facing sofas. I have seen these little symbols in other model Rapidos during shows etc. Does this mean that the base vehicle/chassis has fixing points located nearby?

Some Rapidos had a method of converting the sideways seats into forward facing seats, and then using set belts in the traditional manner. The hand book should have the details. (If you have one ?) It is quite a thick A4 publication with all the Rapido info in it, from using the cooker to fixing solar panels)

(b) Does this model (or any Fiat based Rapido A class for that matter) have a pollen filter for its cab air-conditioning set-up? If so, where can I find it?

I found this on the Fiat Forum website, may be of use ?

The Pollen filter is located in the engine compartment just under the windscreen on the passenger side. The trim under the windscreen on the outside of the vehicle is divided into two pieces. Remove the half at passenger side, it is secured with philips screws in mine. The pollen filter is located under this trim which covers the air inlet for cabin air. The replacement filter can be bought at any motor factors. Hope this helps.

© Has anyone got a "working" e-mail address for Rapido in France?

Wokingham usually respond to a phone call, (late afternoon). They are shockingly poor at answering emails. Not even sure if they know what email is !! ( I should know, I have been a customer for many years !!)

When I get really annoyed, I send a snail mail to Rapido, and for some reason, they respond very quickly, and one occasion phoned me from France.

Rgds

My last 'van was a 2006 983F, which, though it had cab air-con, did not have a pollen filter.

The air inlet on the Chassis cowl is not terminated externally in the same way as the standard cab, and has been further modified by Rapido in such a way that the pollen filter cannot be fitted.

The previous correspondent is correct regarding the position of the pollen filter or he would be if one was fitted which it is not on the Rapido or on many other makes of motorhomes for that matter. The logic seems to be that Faits recommended replacement interval is based on a milage figure that most motorhomes are not likely to reach. Spent ages looking for one on our old Rapido before I worked this one out!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to my questions.

Ref seat belt signs, nothing mentioned about them in handbook so will ask factory when I contact them by e-mail.

As I suspected, no pollen filter is fitted. Just wondered in case I missed it.

Thanks again.

Even if the side facing seats are fitted with belts, it is generally considered undesirable to use them. Seat belts are designed, and really only suitable, for use facing forward. Some side facing seats were fitted with lap belts only. These are to be avoided. The consequences for belted side facing passengers in an accident can be severe internal injuries, due to the way the body interacts with the belt, and the consequences for unbelted side facing passengers are even worse.

If the seats convert to forward facing, and lap and diagonal belts can be/are fitted, this objection is overcome. Otherwise, best left empty!

Guest JudgeMental

It really makes more sense to introduce yourself via a phone call.......

I have spoken to them on the phone before now and found them a cut well above the usual dealer response *-)

Brian Kirby - 2011-09-03 4:21 PM

Even if the side facing seats are fitted with belts, it is generally considered undesirable to use them. Seat belts are designed, and really only suitable, for use facing forward. Some side facing seats were fitted with lap belts only. These are to be avoided. The consequences for belted side facing passengers in an accident can be severe internal injuries, due to the way the body interacts with the belt, and the consequences for unbelted side facing passengers are even worse.

If the seats convert to forward facing, and lap and diagonal belts can be/are fitted, this objection is overcome. Otherwise, best left empty!

To add to this, even if the seats can be converted to forward facing ones with seatbelts, if they don't have metal framework underneath to support the occupants in the case of an accident, they are not safe to use.

Archived