replacement mattress

Caroline

We are looking for a new mattress for our motorhome; we have a side fixed bed with a small cut of piece. As we do not lift the bed from the inside the mattress can fit the whole space rather than being in 3 pieces as at the moment.

There appear to be two types

1. Foam - High density or a mixture of foam and memory foam or pure memory foam

2. Sprung Mattress

We already have a topper which we can use or not depending on the mattress.

Can you recommend a good supplier?

Which would you have and why?

Hello Caroline

In our old van the mattress was high density foam, after a couple of years this was useless. So we had a pocket sprung mattress specially made for us by Whalin Upholstery of Pinston Notts (from an MMM advert). It was for a fixed side bed with the cut off corner, the same as you describe. It wasn’t cheap but we did get wonderful nights sleep after the old foam mattress. In fact it was more comfortable that the mattress at home.

I would always say go for the pocket sprung, you are on holiday to enjoy the holiday and that includes a good nights sleep; that’s not on a bed made up with a mixture of cushions put together to form a bed.

A sprung mattress was one of the musts when we choose our new van.

To answer the sceptics I have nothing to do with the above firm other than being a satisfied customer at the time.

The mattress's in our Globecar where very hard(arn't they all?) instead of using a topper we decided to replace the original with 5" memoryfoam/foam sandwich fitted in the original covers. This meant a total of 6'6" x 6' of foam, in two main parts plus three 'infills' with various cutouts, total price IIRC £275 from a local firm http://www.comfortmattressshefford.co.uk/ although I have a suspition he used Primafoam of bedford as subcontract. We can still stack to one side matress if needed, and they are comfatable, time will tell re durability.

We recently got a replacement mattress for our Rapido fixed bed which has a cutout corner. Look at memoryfoamwarehouse.co.uk of Batley, Yorkshire. You send them a template, and they will cut the exact shape and send it by courier. We got their basic thinner memory foam mattress, and find it very comfortable, as it is quite firm. Service was quick and efficient, and the price competitive, though they have an annoying habit of advertising everything at 50% off! I can recommend them, and they can give good information over the phone as well.

Guest JudgeMental
The sprung mattress in my new Adria is the most comfortable bed we have slept on..The label is in English and mattress from a company called Aegis

Archived