Route des Grande Alps

rupert123

rupert123 - 2011-08-24 4:22 PM

We are planning this as part of our trip starting next week. Has anyone done it and in particular the passes of Col de la Bonnette and Col de l,lseran.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Col+de+la+Bonette,+Mercantour+National+Park,+04850+Jausiers,+Alpes-de-Haute-Provence,+Provence-Alpes-C%C3%B4te+d'Azur,+France&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=44.341093,6.794397&spn=0.017925,0.038581&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.194454,39.506836&vpsrc=6&geocode=FWlhpAIdDt9nAA&z=15&layer=c&cbll=44.341093,6.794397&panoid=9CACm-xcyTtPLMaIbVzK5w&cbp=12,226.93,,0,0I have just looked at Col De La Bonnette on Google maps and it looks interesting. Grab and drag the little man to see more.

rupert123 - 2011-08-24 4:22 PMWe are planning this as part of our trip starting next week. Has anyone done it and in particular the passes of Col de la Bonnette and Col de l,lseran.

Hi,
A fellow motorhomer drove this route a couple of years ago and I have an account of their trip on our website

HTH
Steve

Done it by bicycle, if that's any help!!!

Actually, we were passed by quite a few motorhomes on a few of the climbs.

On the way down, however, I actually overtook a few 'vans.

I don't know if you know, but the maximum gradient of the route is only 6%.

Apparently Mr. Napoleon decreed that this was the steepest his horses could tow the cannons etc.

So, nothing even remotely near as steep as many British roads, which I'm sure you've tackled in your own 'van.

The main problem is the length of the gradient. From memory, I think it's about an 18 miles continuous climb up the Col d'Iseran. The hairpins aren't actually that tight either, but I imagine you'd be climbing constantly in 2nd or 3rd gear, although the current 'vans could probably manage it in 4th given a free run.

It's the downs that would put me off, as you'd probably need to be in low gears descending using the engine to brake most of the way. But take your time and I'm sure it'd be fine.

Again from memory, The Bonette isn't actually on the main Route, but a slight detour off.

Haven't done that bit and can't see why it'd be worse than any of the other main cols.

The scenery is something else and if we do take our 'van abroad sometime, we'd love to revisit the area. Please keep us posted on how you get on if you do go.

P.S. Just re-read where you're based.....

...if you can get out of Snowdonia in your 'van, then the Alps will be a piece of cake. ;-)

Many thanks for the replies so far and will have a look at the links given. Have driven a lot in the alps but always nice to know what you are heading into on some of the high cols. Any more info on the route including sites/aires would be appreciated.

Homenaway - 2011-08-24 7:48 PM
rupert123 - 2011-08-24 4:22 PMWe are planning this as part of our trip starting next week. Has anyone done it and in particular the passes of Col de la Bonnette and Col de l,lseran.

Hi,
A fellow motorhomer drove this route a couple of years ago and I have an account of their trip on our website

HTH
Steve
Thanks for this just what I was looking for. Have been to Chamonix many times, mostly in the winter, but the Grande Alps bit is mostly new. We intend to deviate a bit but will try and leave our own report, either as we go or on our return

We did the route Napoleon last year and had no Problems taking one or 2 diversions off to have a look at other passes. There are some overhangs but not may, and one or two tight bends. Our only concern was the sports car drivers that kept overtaking us on bends. On the section N85 Dignes les Baines to Castellane, We did not know it but there was one of those London to Monte Carlo sport car runs, We had got stuck behind a double decker cattle truck with a load of cows on board and it was raining Cow **** from both sides of the truck, so we dropped back quiet a distance to give it space as we could not pass it, Not long after passing through the small town of Barreme They started carving us up and any other one in the way, Boy where they in for a surprise ahead, when we got into Castellane there they where all parked up in their open tops covered in Cow dung. Did i laugh of course not? And we did get it on Video.

Archived