Awning light bulbs.

Rayjsj

Hi,

Does a 20w Halogen bulb generate enough extra heat output to damage an Awning light fitting originally supplied with a 10w one ?? ie. would it be twice the heat of the 10w ? this is a G4 type fitting. I know I can get LED bulb equivalents but to get 20w (equivelant light) they are to big to fit in the space available. Just need some-one technical to tell me whether it is safe or not.

A 10w halogen light is not very illuminating outside !! 8-) Ray

Hi,

On the light fitting it should tell you the maximum allowed bulb wattage. I suspect it will be 10 Watts if it is an enclosed fitting. Yes, twice the watts rating will be approx. twice the heat generated and could damage the fitting and be a fire risk. Fingers crossed it is rated for 20 watts but you will need to check it.

Jon

If want to Change your led bulbs ,which is easy , you just need find right size bubls. i have ever bought from these wholesales, like BangGood , DX etc, they selling very cheap, I just update my old headlight with led last month, It works like champion. so you can check this site,hope it can help you.

lennyhb - 2011-08-24 11:42 PM

Yes it will run a lot hotter, weather it will do any damage depends how close it is to the cover.

For the cost of a bulb why not try it, just monitor it closely.

Lenny,

thanks, yes i have already decided to give that a try, there is a 'heat absorbant' reflector above the bulb anyway, (as even the 10w gets pretty hot). and plenty of space within the lamp for air circulation, although physically restricting fitting the 'Full moon' type of G4 led type bulbs.

A 'suck it and see' . Ray

Archived