QUESTIONS ON MURVI MORELLO

misty

HI we are between vans at the moment. we have had 6 vans large and small.and now think the morello will suit our needs. we have read all the reviews we can find.we think.our price range will buy about a 2002/4 .is the 2.3 ok or should we look for a 2.8 .been told the Eberspacher is very very noisy.is it that bad.one van we looked at the bed was very hard to pull out.is there a knack to it. grateful for any information. there aren.t many for sale.

misty - 2011-08-24 8:50 PM

HI we are between vans at the moment. we have had 6 vans large and small.and now think the morello will suit our needs. we have read all the reviews we can find.we think.our price range will buy about a 2002/4 .is the 2.3 ok or should we look for a 2.8 .been told the Eberspacher is very very noisy.is it that bad.one van we looked at the bed was very hard to pull out.is there a knack to it. grateful for any information. there aren.t many for sale.

I've got a 2.8 - 2003 model and very happy with it. - get around 28 to 31 mpg on most trips.

Heating system ( used on quite a few vans I think ) is a bit noisy when starting up but not been a problem.

The one problem with Eberspachers from that 'era' is that they take a lot from the battery to start them.

Bed has been no problem - very easy and quick to set up - I suppose it depends what equipment is stared underneath - that could make it heavy to pull out.

There are never many about because people hold on to them.

They have won a lot of design awards over the years.

;-)

We have had two Morello from new. The first was a 2002 2.8 jtd which claims to be 127 bhp. The second a 2010 x250 six speed which claims to be 120bhp. Performance more than adequate on both easily cruising in excess of the national speed limit.

When buying any Ducato from the earlier period look carefully at the paint particularly on the roof and if it is metallic silver as it is quite likely to be peelind off. WhenI tried to mask it off to respray the masking tape took more paint off!!

The Eberspacher is quite noisy particularly on startup though seemed to be quieter as it got older. The 2002 van was the last of the old shape van and this had the eberspacher exhaust fitted by the nearside front wheel. From 2003 the exhaust had tobe moved to the offside next to the vehicle exhaust andthis led to a larger eberspacher silencer beeing fitted which does cut down the noise particularly on startup. It can easily be retrofitted to the earlier model. The 2010 has a Webasto dualtop diesel system which is far quieter.

Up until the last couple of years the bed base slid on strips of formica attached to it,. Judicious use of silicone spray solves any sticking problem. Most people keep bedding in the base . which keeps the weight down. The latest vans are fitted with hidden casters.

If you need any more info send me a PM which I will try and answer when we are not away in the van. The factory is helpful and sometimes knows when vans are coming up for sale. There is also the Murvi lovers group which youcan google and the group are at some of the shows such as Shepton mallet in a fortnights time. If you go ther ewe are the non metallic Brazilian yellow Morello and do make your self known.

Regarding the Eberspacher heating/hot water system, we have one fitted in our Autocruise of 2005 vintage.

After having Carver/Truma gas products. Not found the Blown air heating system excessively noisy, either on Diesel,Electricity or combined (although i wouldn't want to be sleeping in a tent or awning within 10 feet of the exhaust !!) the Water system gives piping hot water for Two people at least to have hot showers in the morning. We only wild camp away from EHU for two days at a time and we have a single 100amp leisure battery,we have never run out of 12v power. I now prefere this system to previous Gas based systems. Ray

Guest JudgeMental

A German dealer I know refuses to sell panel vans with this type of heating..He says the warranty is very problematic if you need to make a claim. Heater is slung under the van, open to the elements, and get dirty..you make a claim when it breaks down and they refuse the claim because it is dirty and you have not maintained it!

on top of that you have the current draw on battery and noise ..personally I dont get why people use them different if a lorry driver

Also last year there was a long thread with someone having real problems with the axle weight/weight distribution on one of these vans...worth looking through the "search" function for past info

We have a diesel heater its a bit noisy outside but not a problem inside the van, produces plenty of heat but somehow I would prefer a gas heater, gas burns clean oil does`nt, although we have`nt had any problems I can see access to it will be difficult.

HI thanks for all your help and information .much appreciated.you cant join the Murvi club unless you already own a Murvi.or have a firm order to buy one.they want the registration no. pity might have also got some info from them. thanks again.

On the Murvi the Eberspacher unit is fitted in the engine bay behind the radiator and we have never heard of any problems with dirt as the only part of the system exposed under the van are the pipes running to the boiler.

It is Rex Kneebone who is the sales director at Murvi, not Reg!

Pam Crummay who is the organiser of the MurviLovers club is extremely helpful and if you contact her I am sure she will help any prospective Murvi owner, if you have any problems, contact us and we will speak to her if you supply us with an email address to forward to her.

Check very carefully that the actual payload will be adequate for your needs. Some have had problems after extras etc were fitted, especially if the heavier chassis was not specified. Problem mainly with front axle overload. Make sure the empty van is weighed and both axle weights shown, then compare with VIN plate limits.

Archived