Rapido 691FF - MMM test report

Derek Uzzell

In the September 2011 issue of MMM there's a report by Mark Browning on a Rapido 691FF Style Edition.

On page 133 Mark says:

"...Unusually, a FAVEX inverter allows heating to be used while on the move, powered from the leisure battery."

The implication seems to be that the "FAVEX inverter" will allow the 230V heating capability of the Rapido's Truma Combi gas/mains heater to be used while travelling. In fact, this is not so.

Where motorhomes are concerned, the French word "inverseur" does not translate to the English word "inverter". In motorhome-English, an "inverter" refers to an electrical device to convert DC current to AC (normally, in the case of UK motorhomes, 12V DC to 230V AC) and the French word for such a device is "convertisseur". In French motorhome-parlance, an "inverseur" refers to what we would call a "gas-bottle change-over device".

The FAVEX-branded product has been marketed for several years and, I believe, was first used by Pilote. It's basically an an electrically-operated safety valve with a shock-sensor that will cut off a motorhome's gas supply in the event of a road accident. Other than its general principles I don't know a much about the FAVEX device, but there are some photos of one in the "Panne gaz (Favex)" section of the following webpage:

http://www.voilelec.com/pages/ccpilotet.php

Truma now markets a successor to the SecuMotion system. Truma's MonoControl CS and DuoControl CS devices are regulators with shock-sensors, with DuoControl CS incorporating an automatic gas-bottle changeover capability. Unlike the FAVEX system the Truma devices do not need an electrical power-supply. I presume that the FAVEX system in the MMM test-vehicle is conceptually equivalent to Truma's DuoControl CS.

The FAVEX system (like SecuMotion, MonoControl, and DuoControl) permits a motorhome's gas heater (assuming this has been suitably certified) to be run legally while travelling in any EU country. But, if you buy a Rapido 691FF and, based on Mark's report, think you'll b getting a free inverter that might be used to power your TV, you are going to be disappointed.

Guest JudgeMental

I have the SecuMotion fitted as standard to new van and have had the DuoControl fitted to take my existing 2 LPG refillable bottles with external filler.

what I dont understand is why it is OK to leave gas on and run heating system, but not the fridge, can anyone explain this for me....

JudgeMental - 2011-08-25 9:08 AM

I have the SecuMotion fitted as standard to new van and have had the DuoControl fitted to take my existing 2 LPG refillable bottles with external filler.

what I dont understand is why it is OK to leave gas on and run heating system, but not the fridge, can anyone explain this for me....

The EU-agreed regulations that Truma's SecuMotion/MonoControl CS/DuoControl CS and the FAVEX systems comply with relate solely to gas-fuelled vehicle HEATERS. They DO NOT relate to other gas-fueled 'domestic' leisure-vehicle appliances (eg. fridges, hobs, ovens, water boilers).

Consequently, if an EU country has its own national regulations that generally prohibit operation of gas-fueled appliances in a moving vehicle, those regulations will remain in force except where the gas-HEATER related EU-agreed regulations override them.

In France, (that has the general prohibition I've just mentioned) although it is permitted nowadays to operate a suitably-designed/certified gas-fueled heater in a moving vehicle provided that the vehicle has a Secumotion/FAVEX/etc. system, it is still forbidden to operate a gas-fueled fridge, hob, oven, etc. while travelling.

In countries that have no national regulations that generally prohibit operation of gas-fueled appliances in a moving vehicle (I think the UK remains in that category), there would be no legal prohibition on running your fridge, or cooking a turkey in your gas oven, while you were driving your motorhome. My 2004 Dometic manual warns "Operating the refrigerator with gas is not permitted during travel in France and Australia", so the number of EU countries with a general ban may be small. If you've got a Dometic fridge in your Adria, you may find more-up-to-date information about this at the start of your fridge-manual's "Gas Operation" section.

So it's nothing to do with the technical capability of a fridge (or hob/oven) to be able to operate satisfactorily en route, it's just that, in certain countries, you are legally prohibited from doing this.

Archived