Fridge fuse melting?

martyb

Hello there,

Having checked over the van this morning i noticed that the fuse holder and the fuse have started melting. These are located next to the main battery in the engine bay. I have realised that this is the fridge fuse for running on 12volt whilst travelling. I am going to replace the damaged area in the morning...and see how it goes as we are going away for the weekend tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem? Thanks again

Marty

The cheap fuses made in the Far East are rubbish. They overheat and cause the plastic of the fuseholder to melt.

They are a fire risk and how they get away with selling them over here I don't know.

Get some proper fuses made in the EU and they will not overheat and will also work (blow) at the correct loading.

If the actual fuse holder has been affected by the heat it will need replacing, the metal contacts will be soft from the heat and will not make a good connection. This will result in more overheating.

Bring back Lucas, The Prince of Darkness they may be, but thier fuses worked!

H

Guest Tracker

Assuming that it is not a fault with the fridge itself, and that the fuses are not blowing the most likely cause is either a loose connection or ill fitting fuse or poor contacts caused by dirt or oxidisation.

Clean and tighten all contact points and whilst doing this look for any damaged or charred contact points as evidence.

If the fuse holder is melted beyond saving you may still need to replace it.

Hi and thanks,

I went to Halfords and got a new fuse holder, cut out the old one and replaced it. The over heating seems to have stopped now, fingers crossed as of to Datmoor today. Previously the cable was getting hot a few inces away from the old fuse holder after just a few mins running.

Thanks again speak soon, happy camping

Marty

The cheapo carriers get resistive and then overheats and could cause a fire as a thick wire supplying the fridge can draw 12 amps . Now check the take off point at the front as this could also be dodgy - they are sometimes put behind the battery and you should replace with a sealed blade type with a hinged snap-down cover.

Hi and thanks once again.

Returned from our first weekend away in the new bus. The new fuse holder is of the hinged type and all seems fine. there is onother of the same type next to it which I will replace this weekend.

Thanks for your help on this issue.

Marty

Hi and thanks once again.

Returned from our first weekend away in the new bus. The new fuse holder is of the hinged type and all seems fine. there is onother of the same type next to it which I will replace this weekend.

Thanks for your help on this issue.

Marty

Archived