Shurflo 7 water pump

Barley

Have fitted new shurflo 7 ( replacing an unknown make of pump, i.e.Primaflo 7) and there is no water in system yet, on switching habition button on control panel there is a whurring sound as if the pump wants to prime itself and this is before I switch on the water pump at control panel. The taps are closed. Is this a wiring problem? i.e. are the correct wires connected at the correct terminals? My logic says pump should not prime itself without pump switch on control panel being switched on. Please can anyone help and yes I know it's Bank Holiday weekend.

Barley

Think you need a Volt meter ! to check that the live lead really is the Live lead, etc., before you damge your new pump. And check the wiring diagram if you have one.

It could be that the pump was running in reverse, with live and earth reversed ?? it would run but obviously never prime itself . And of course the switch is on the Live pole, Ray

Guest Tracker

As understand it, the pump is live without being switched on? You really don't want that as it will burn the pump out.

If so, it may well be a fault either in the control panel gubbins (technical term) or I think, more likely, with the individual switch that should control the pump but isn't in that it allows voltage to flow to the pump all the time.

If the control panel is easy to open up you might try checking the voltage at the pump switch output side both with the switch on and off and if it is live both sides all the time it is probably the switch?

If so and the wiring allows try using a different switch then you will know for sure if is the switch.

Disclaimer - I don't know what van or system you have because you have not told us and I am not an electrical expert so I could be totally wrong - but on the information to date that is what I would do if it were mine!

Tracker is on the right lines, but I would suggest the relay which the panel switch controls has its contacts welded closed. This is highly likely to be the fault which caused the last pump to fail. I do not know what system you have, but either you will have a main control unit somewhere housing the fuses and relays. This needs to be checked out for shorts in the wiring and as mentioned the relay comtrolling the pump. The bad news is the relays may be soldered into the PCB.

So this is my pennies worth at the moment.

Jon.

Barley - 2011-08-27 2:37 PM

Have fitted new shurflo 7 ( replacing an unknown make of pump, i.e.Primaflo 7) and there is no water in system yet, on switching habition button on control panel there is a whurring sound as if the pump wants to prime itself and this is before I switch on the water pump at control panel. The taps are closed. Is this a wiring problem? i.e. are the correct wires connected at the correct terminals? My logic says pump should not prime itself without pump switch on control panel being switched on. Please can anyone help and yes I know it's Bank Holiday weekend.

Barley

It might be helpful to know a) the make/model/year or the motorhome you own b) how long you've owned it and c) why you've needed (or chosen) to replace its water pump.

Primaflo information is on:

http://www.primaflo.info/

As has already been advised, a fault with the control-panel switch for the water-pump or with a relay that the control-panel-switch is intended to operate could cause the water-pump to come on 'spontaneously'.

Alternatively, if you've been playing about with the wiring of the water-pump relay (which is often located close to the water pump) and made the wrong connections, it's possible to envisage a situation where you've inadvertently by-passed the water-pump switch on the control-panel.

There shouldn't be any doubt that a Shurflo pump is running as they are all pretty noisy even when they are 'sucking air'. I don't know if they can run run backwards as Ray suggests but, even if they could, you'd still have the peculiar situation where the pump's control-panel switch appears to be doing nothing.

Looking at the Primaflo installation instructions suggests that the electrical wiring requirements would be the same for a Shurflo pump. In principle, you'd just need to detach the Primaflo pump's live and earth wires from whatever they were connected to and connect the Shurflo pump's live and earth wires in the same manner.

Archived