Live sport options for motorhome satellite TV

Shaun

I'm trying to learn all the available options, now I've cancelled Sky Sports at home. Truth is, it was taking over the living room many nights of the week and it was rather costly. To find an alternative I'm not taking out any further subscriptions, nor buying expensive bits of gear.

Whilst there were two live premier league games on yesterday, I thought I'd wade through all the free to air channels across all satellites on my Maplin box, to see if I could track down a live broadcast. I would be quite happy to sit in the van and watch games, whether at home or when travelling. However, two hours and around two thousand channels later, there wasn't a single FTA broadcast of those particular matches.

How this differs to the internet. I've paid a very modest subscription of 8 quid a year for one of those sites which brings together links to all the live streaming of football. The quality is crap and there's plenty of signal interruption, but it's just about better than nothing.

Looking at the commercial angle, the streaming stuff does have adverts which make you wait before you can watch, and there are banners and what have you (but these all disappear when I go full screen). However, TV has long had a revenue stream from annoying adverts, so I'm trying to understand why it's so difficult to find free televised broadcasts of live football (and I daresay others will be after other sports also).

So how come the internet is awash with foreign broadcasters who are able to show live football, but all those free TV channels can't do the same?

Shaun

Archived