Our summer trip

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Got back recently from an enjoyable 4.5 week motorhome tour with new van and the new bikes. We travelled down though France/Germany /Austria stopping of at Dachau concentration camp on the outskirts of Munich. While probably not as horrific as a death camp like Auschwitz it is an awful place a real revelation as it was where the Nazi refined their doctrine of hate and mass murder. Here they practised and refined their philosophy and killing machine...that is why all the “death camps” are not in Germany as they firmly believed in NIMBY. If anyone has watched the BBC2 program on Hans litten this week, and subsequent documentaries, it is where he ended his days...

Happy days! When we got to Lake Bled in Slovenia. A beautiful place with very pleasant cycling around the lake (not very big) much more challenging cycling, heading in other directions though! Lovely swimming in the crystal clear lake. From there we went down to Croatia and the Island of Krk and the town of Baska on southern tip, lovely sand and shingle beach , unusual for Croatia as mainly rock or shingle. Town is a working fishing village turned into a tourist resort, it was so nice we abandoned our Island hopping agenda and just spent our time cycling and relaxing.....

Then up to Istria where we picked our teenagers up at Pula airport, we then toured up the western side of Istria, lovely Venetian style towns and good campsites, but water got dirtier as we travelled up towards Italy. Then we went to Venice and up to Lake Garda where we go most years, and meet up with friends. Kids flew back and just as well, as we had a horrendous traffic jammed drive out of Italy.... stayed at Fussen in Baveria a wonderful town and castle by lake (which inspired Disney)

It was here I saw the emoto electric motorbike, it could climb the awful 45 degree hill on campsite easil.. New Bikes where great! And thanks again to David of Wisper who made an early Daahub kit available to me , as I was desperate to get lighter bikes for the trip as had just bought smaller van. And any one trying to lift an e bike weighing more the 20kg onto a rack...well good luck to you! I have already said what a great bit of kit The DaaHub is, so won’t repeat myself here, but it drew so much attention when travelling around it was incredible. It is a joy to ride either bike to be honest, particularly in a nice climate with peaceful roads. Bike started cutting out and resetting itself,. The bike was fine on the flat or uphill in a low enough gear, but a bit of a problem with two large panniers full of shopping! This has now been sorted, as Wisper have fitted a new controller and improved handle bar computer (kph to mph at press of two buttons) the cut out was because of current draw I think..... It has now been tapered off a bit and bike seems fine now.

Wife has decided she wants a step through.... she likes the bosch system, as it is very natural and simplicity itself to ride and control, but hates the crossbar! My fault really as she was OK on the 905SE, but when I think about it, the cross bar sweeps down much lower. I just don’t understand why she cant just swing her left leg back, up and over........ Another clear example of why it is important to test ride a bike to make sure it is right for you. Can get expensive otherwise...

Some pics on following link: I cant get them to start in order so if you find one with van on drive that is the start.....

https://live.staticflickr.com/6210/6088483636_546889921f_b.jpg

Sounds like you had a fantastic time, and great pics. Recognised some of the places. We bypass Bled now and this year we headed to Ljubjiana (Spelling!) staying at Kamnik and getting the train into the city.

Also were going to stay ay Fussen this year again, but the Motorhome parking in Fussen left a bit to be desired being so crowded and so just headed on down into Austria and stayed the night at Reutte where people are exceptionally friendly.

Anyway, your pics are great and bikes sound superb.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks everyone always a nice response when you make the effort to report on here.....

A month is really not enough for such a long journey. 6-8 weeks would be better as you could visit more interesting places and not have to rush by...

We will definitely visit Krk again and other Island like Rab and Pac. Zadar area we had good reports about as well. Istria was disappointing so will avoid in future, more crowded and expensive with dirty sea water . Nice towns though, Rovinj and Porec lovely. best to go in July if you have to go school holidays (wife in education) as in August the Italians start flooding in and sites get very busy. Love Italians and their food by the way!

Guest JudgeMental
art338 - 2011-08-31 8:23 PM

Liked all the pictures, I assume the Adria is LHD by the awning position?

art

Yes I imported it in May from Germany....

Looks like you had a good trip Eddie and some good photos. The van looks good also. I would have thought that a trip to the Plitvice Lakes in Croatia and the Postojna Caves in Slovenia would have suited you. We went to Porec two year's before the troubles started and had a great holiday, I don't think anyone would have anticipated what was to come because it seemed so peaceful.

Dave

Guest JudgeMental

Like I said earlier not enough time to do everything. Plus wife has a very demading job and we like to relax and cycle around area, swim and read.......Getting up and moving on daily not for us!

Will do Pitvik lakes when we do the other islands and Zadar :-D

We did the length of the mainland and the lakes - the latter were great. We quite enjoyed Dubrovnik and Split but were not that impressed with the rest of the country - next time we will try the islands as several people have said how nice they are. We really enjoyed Bosnia though - really friendly people and less dedicated to trying to service rich Germans and Italians.

Guest JudgeMental

If you have a camper with long rear overhang, you need to be very careful as they are regularly damaged on ferry's *-) We meet some one in Bled on his way back from 3 month trip and rear of his Burstner was a right mess :-S

They just want you on and off, not worried about your vehicle just the time table.....

JudgeMental - 2011-08-28 7:57 PM

best to go in July if you have to go school holidays (wife in education) as in August the Italians start flooding in and sites get very busy.

Now you mob are going back to school we are on the road again after a summer of odd days here and there ;-)

BTW IIRC concentration camps where outside Germany as it was illegal to have them in Germany itself, law abiding lot those Nazi's :-S bit like USA and Guantanamo.

Guest JudgeMental

About 1200 camps and sub camps

dachau just on the outskirts of Munich

Are you intending to visit the lot! Some holiday Colin! I would visit just the one..... :-S

• 2 weeks later...
JudgeMental - 2011-08-28 12:21 PM

From there we went down to Croatia and the Island of Krk and the town of Baska on southern tip, lovely sand and shingle beach , unusual for Croatia as mainly rock or shingle. Town is a working fishing village turned into a tourist resort, it was so nice we abandoned our Island hopping agenda and just spent our time cycling and relaxing.....

Looks like you had a great trip. See from your photos that you visited Naturist Camp Bunculuka at Baska - hope you made the most of the nudist beach pictured :-)

Guest JudgeMental
mikebeaches - 2011-09-16 10:54 PM

JudgeMental - 2011-08-28 12:21 PM

From there we went down to Croatia and the Island of Krk and the town of Baska on southern tip, lovely sand and shingle beach , unusual for Croatia as mainly rock or shingle. Town is a working fishing village turned into a tourist resort, it was so nice we abandoned our Island hopping agenda and just spent our time cycling and relaxing.....

Looks like you had a great trip. See from your photos that you visited Naturist Camp Bunculuka at Baska - hope you made the most of the nudist beach pictured :-)

Ha Ha!! You have a keen eye!...Well spotted lol :-D

Archived