New Motorhome - Million Dollar Question

Domino

We will be replacing our Timberland Fredom 2003 at the end of this year/early next. This is a big decision (my pension is riding on it!) so apart from reading MMM and visiting NEC this October I thought I'd throw a line out to all the knowledgeable motorhomers for their hints/advice.

So feel free to offer your thoughts regarding going for new/ trade in values, which models etc.

'Our requirements are for :-

'small' coachbuilt.

2 berth and the budget is up to £50,000 (Can't believe I just typed that). This includes a trade in

2 sofas - so both of us can lay down .

Automatic gearbox if poss.

Large water tank as we like to be off site when possible.

Large batteries

Gas cannisters or built in tank

Having read about the Swift Accents in the Hints & Tips forum that van is not on my list.

I know it will be some kind of compromise in the end, but I'd like to consider as much as possible and am concerned about future maintenance especially regarding water ingress. Having a panel van at present coachbuilts seem to present different areas for consideration

Guest JudgeMental

why not go for a slightly longer PVC with twin rear beds. normally about 636 m long .Globecar and Adria have some nice ones ..

Or in a coach built the Adria compact, with twin singles as well, is a lovely van. Have never seen bigger tanks for an option, probably because of affect on payload :-S may have to get that sorted by a third party company.

Just a question. Why is your 'pension riding on it'? Are you using your pension to buy the MH? If so, maybe better to look at a 1-2 year old model and save a lot of depreciation. Your current MH is 2003 so 8 years old, are you planning to change again in another 8 years?

It is just a large sum of money to spend and gets me nervous.

Dave225 - 2011-08-28 5:14 PM

Just a question. Why is your 'pension riding on it'? Are you using your pension to buy the MH? If so, maybe better to look at a 1-2 year old model and save a lot of depreciation. Your current MH is 2003 so 8 years old, are you planning to change again in another 8 years?

BINGO!!

Buy something two years old, immaculate, with lots of bells and whistles added by first owner, and all warranty niggles/issues now sorted, with maybe 5,000 on the clock, for maybe £15,000 less than brand new, and use the £15,000 saving to fund 5 years worth of fuel/tax/insurance/site fees.....

Guest Tracker

The Autocruise Starburst layout works well for us - trouble is it's now made by Swift who I personally don't have a great opinion of in terms of build quality or customer care?

It is available as an auto and a second leisure battery is easy to add to any van but enlarging a 20 gallon water tank is more of a challenge! Then again you can always carry extra 2 litre bottles of water when going wild?

BGD - 2011-08-28 7:27 PM

Dave225 - 2011-08-28 5:14 PM

I quite agree Bruce, we did exactly this. In March we bought a 2007 Pilote that the previous and only owner had added so much stuff we couldn't believe it. We looked at this van when it was new at the show at Bordeaux and loved it but it was way out of our price range. It has just gone through its first CT (MOT) and passed with a completely clean sheet. Delighted with it.

Sylvia

BINGO!!

Buy something two years old, immaculate, with lots of bells and whistles added by first owner, and all warranty niggles/issues now sorted, with maybe 5,000 on the clock, for maybe £15,000 less than brand new, and use the £15,000 saving to fund 5 years worth of fuel/tax/insurance/site fees.....

Guest pelmetman
I agree:D if ever I was in the market for a new van then I'd buy second hand.................unless you need something bespoke there's no point in buying new;-)

Tracker - 2011-08-28 6:31 PM

The Autocruise Starburst layout works well for us - trouble is it's now made by Swift who I personally don't have a great opinion of in terms of build quality or customer care?

It is available as an auto and a second leisure battery is easy to add to any van but enlarging a 20 gallon water tank is more of a challenge! Then again you can always carry extra 2 litre bottles of water when going wild?

Agree with Tracker that the Autocruise Starburst will fit the bill.

But you will have to look at the Used market (unless a Dealer has a new one in stock) as Swift are dropping all the Autocruise coachbuilt range. Future Autocruise models will be PVC only.

If you've got £50k to play with, want a coachbuilt design, and you don't want to use campsites much, then you'd probably be best to look at a non-UK-built vehicle. Small coachbuilts with auto-boxes are available on Fiat, Mercedes and VW chassis.

MMM's Buyers' Guide section lists motorhomes including their type, cost, base-vehicle manufacturer, dimensions, layout, etc. etc. All you need do is browse through the MMM guide pages, short-list the entries that match your requirements, obtain the relevant brochures, further refine your short list, view examples and fork out the cash.

If you are prepared to be really specific regarding requirements, you'll end up with a very short short-list. When we were planning to replace our Herald, there were just three possible contenders, one (a Eura Mobil) was rejected almost immediately, the 2nd (a Chausson) was seriously considered for a while before being dropped from the short-list, the 3rd was the Hobby. If the Hobby had not been available, we would have ceased motorcaravanning.

Personally, i'd go for a 'Bentley Cobalt' on the Renault Trafic, or if i could stretch to it a slightly larger one on the new 'Master' with an Alko chassis, when they say' Low line ' they mean 'Low line' not just an overcab without a bed 'up there'. They are built by the 'Ex owner's' of Autocruise CH and look very good (on paper) you will have a chance to see them 'in the metal' at the show. To check out the quality. The Automatic option is readily available, and at 'sensible' prices NOT inflated by having to go for the largest engine as well (as with Fiats). which end up nearly £3000 more for the Auto version (crazy !!) Like 'Tracker' I have an Autocruise CH Starlet 2 (a Marquis Starburst) which is a similar layout to the 'Cobalt' , Twin setees/Single beds/double, mid 'L' shaped kitchen (with Full Cooker),across the end washroom with seperate shower, all in just over 20' ( 20' 5" to be exact).

The Cobalt is narrower overall so Cornish lanes shouldn't be a problem either ! and they are a British producer converter, so you are supporting some British Skilled jobs as well ! ;-) :D Ray

Just Read that Swift are 'Killing off' Autocruise coachbuilts for 2012 (as expected, by me from their takeover !!) so the 'Starburst' route is a non-starter.

Whatever you decide on check the payload.

Have the actual vehicle you are considering weighed, it will be an eye opener! The brochure is very optimistic.

Then add a full tank of water, fuel etc and in the case of one make I was considering I had about 200 KG payload left, it would have been me or the wife left at home!

H

Whatever you decide to buy, check out how many outside lockers each van has. This was an area that we never thought about until a friend who is a long term motorhomer pointed out was important. We didn't think we had much to put in them but its amazing how full they all are now!

I would be inclined to go to the show, decide on a model and ask the salesman if they have a second hand one back at their showroom and then arrange to view that. You will get much more for your money and as has previously been said, it will have all the niggles sorted out for you.

We have an 06 Hymer and she still smelt new when we entered her for the first time. One owner and in pristine condition. Nothing removed from the roof so no chance of water ingress (unlike a Frankia we originally thought of buying) and being an A class, we can use the cab as well, even in the winter. Not bad for a 6.4m Motorhome with two long benches, albeit one that is L shaped :-D

Thanks for all the comments, and it appears we’ll be busy at the NEC looking at Adrias, Hobby, Hymer and one I’ve not heard of, the Bentley Cobalt.

If we can get a 1-2 year old model that would excellent. In answer to the question as to how long we want to keep the next van the answer is, as long as possible, eg 8 -10 years.

Also the thought of going to the show, finding the van we want and then asking the dealer if they have a slightly older one is definitely an option. I think the issue is going to be getting as much as we can from our ‘wish list’ onto a small enough model and keeping a good payload.

I will also follow up on the MMM pages.

The outside locker comment is appreciated. I had forgotten those – as we have none at present.

I’ll let you know what we end up with, but it could well be late 2012.

you will go to the show and be like a kid in a sweet shop with all that glitter before you and will be charmed by some sweet talking git who throw all your logic out of the window.me, and loads of others have gone this routeand there will be no older models back in the showroom cause they need to flog the show models .go to the dealers on a cold december monday,and tell them what you want for yours and walk if they wont play.better still,buy and sell private. >:-)

If you do go to any of the shows,just treat them as a "fact finding" exercise(..and better still,don't take any bank cards or cheque book with you ;-) )

..or else you run the risk of getting caught up in the "shiney van" syndrome...and getting swayed by any "one time only,Show offer" *-)

Guest Tracker
pepe63 - 2011-08-30 3:54 PM

If you do go to any of the shows,just treat them as a "fact finding" exercise(..and better still,don't take any bank cards or cheque book with you ;-) )

..or else you run the risk of getting caught up in the "shiney van" syndrome...and getting swayed by any "one time only,Show offer" *-)

That's a fair comment - on the other hand many traders set themselves a sales target to be achieved to offset the cost of the show and there is no doubt that very good deals are available particularly on the first day when they are keen to build momentum and towards the end of the show particularly if they are close to reaching said target!

I have done some very good deals at shows over the years albeit always on a s/h van and I would always carry a means of payment but I too am very wary on how and when I use it and never do a deal on the spur of the moment.

The last time was when we secured a better deal by over £1000 at the show on a two year old vehicle we had seen earlier that same week at a nearby branch of the dealer - at 4.30 pm on the Sunday!

At least give it half an hour! Go for a walk round, have a sit down and a cuppa and then decide!

Do yourself a BIG Favour and dont buy anything from the sevel Factory, just do a search on the (spit) Fiat,s alone to see what I mean. Ive had two including the new Model,and I,d sooner have my Ar-e  dragged along a cobbled street than to own another one. With your money your trade in and a bit of Haggling you could go for one of these models, more an investment than a Sevel based crap.  Just My Opinion mind you.    http://www.marquismotorhomes.co.uk/new-motorhomes/county-mercedes

Another possibility which is a narrow coachbuilt - Dethleffs Globus T14

It's 6.33m long & 2.15m wide (so dimensions are similar to the maxi PVC's)

3 litre engine with Autobox are options, but reduce payload from 460kg to 338kg.

There is also option to upgrade to 3850kg (so with 3litre engine & Autobox would give a 688kg payload)

I would think the upgrade to 3850kg chassis necessary if you want full oven, as well as the bigger engine option.

Half dinette up front & twin sideways beds at rear. 4 belted seats, but only 3 berths.

Water tank capacity incl. boiler 98litre, waste water tank capacity 90 litre,battery95Ah

Also the Globebus T11 similar layout but 6.73m long

http://www2.dethleffs.de/gb/reisemobile/globebus.php

Archived