Average age of MH Users

Bolly1965

Average age of MH Users  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm curious to find out the average age of motorome users. I suspect that motorhomes make more sense for people who are retired (obviously they could get more use out of their expensive investment). I have set up a poll if anyone would like to add their thoughts..

By the way - i have enabled the option to allow you to select more than one age group as I realise multiple members of the family will use the motorhome.

Guest pelmetman
I've ticked 3 box's as we have had our camper since I was 33:D..........20 years ago8-).................So I doubt if we are average owners(lol)

pelmetman - 2011-08-28 8:16 PM

I've ticked 3 box's as we have had our camper since I was 33:D..........20 years ago8-).................So I doubt if we are average owners(lol)

Been using campervans for over 20years and I'm now in my 50s, so maybe your more average than you think ;-)

Guest Tracker
Had my first Dormobile Bedford CA when I was 20 - a bit of a wreck it must be said - but now ,not so far short of 50 years on it is me wot is a bit of a wreck!

Tracker - 2011-08-28 9:04 PM

Had my first Dormobile Bedford CA when I was 20 - a bit of a wreck it must be said - but now ,not so far short of 50 years on it is me wot is a bit of a wreck!

My friend had a CA in the seventies, I think rubics cube was easier to solve than how to arrange seats into beds :D

Guest JudgeMental
In Europe market much bigger and popular with younger familys...Also prices better so that is the result, more sales.... UK business will never learn.

The main UK caravan clubs will have reasonably reliable demographic data on motorhome ownership (check their websites).

I'd guess (putting my statistian's hat on) that the average age for UK motorhome ownership would be in the low-60s. I'm doubtful that trying to acquire 'user' rather than 'owner' data is viable. In any case, even if you included younger generation usage in the mix (ie. a son borrowing his father's motorhome for a holiday or grandchildren being taken on trips) I don't believe this would be sufficiently common to affect the overall ownership average age significantly.

I hesitate to say this, but your poll won't produce average age stats for either 'owners' or 'users'. If you wanted those data you'd need to ask for the actual age of each person to which a 'vote' relates. As I write this your poll has 57 votes spread across 6 age-ranges. It's possible to see patterns (eg about 60% of the votes cover the age-range 51-70) but how do you go from there to producing an average-age figure?

One doesn't need to be a statistician to know that this poll has been rendered totally pointless by people who don't really understand the question!

The question wasn't "What was the average age of motorhomers in 1980?" 

Anyone ticking two or more boxes because they did have a motorhome twenty years ago has made it pointless. I am sure that the questioner wants to know the average age of motorhomers now!

In my short experience, Derek Uzzell is bang on and common sense will tell you why. Generally speaking, parents with young families cannot afford motorhomes. They probably have a car already, so attaching a caravan on the back costs a fraction of the cost of a comparable motorhome. Apart from which, younger people work full-time and cannot obtain real value for a large investment.

And before anyone leaps in with examples, yes, some younger people will motorhome, mainly I would think those without children and there will also be a small number who can afford a large enough motorhome for a full family, but they are in a distinct minority.

I suspect that the majority of motorhomers start later in life when the mortgage is paid off and there are no such things as school fees to worry about. Many will have retired, possibly early, and have the time that justifies the investment in a motorhome.

I would also question Judgemental's statement, which comes across more as a dislike of the British motorhome industry than as a certified fact.

Yes, more families in Europe may have a motorhome but that's probably because more people in Europe actually go motorhoming because of the more favourable conditions for it. Do we really believe that, if the price of a typical British MH could suddenly come down from £50K to £40K, that people with young families would rush out and buy?

If young families in Britain really want a motorhome there are plenty of good used ones for less than the cost of a new one in Europe, but they are still not rushing to the forecourts to snap them up. This is of course, because of the financial restraints that I mention above, which still apply.

This poll may however, highlight one very salient point, which is the true number of active members of this forum. I have joined another one which advertises with the headline "More than 60,000 Motorhomers have joined this forum......"

I have to say that this irritates me immensely! Its true membership is probably in the low hundreds, if that! Yes, over many years 60,000 may have come, but 59,000 have gone!

It will be interesting to see how many vote in this poll. We can then halve the numbers to eliminate double and triple voting. Should be interesting! (lol)

Some people seem to be answering this question with both how old they were when they started and how old they are now, also some seem to be including children and other family members. This confusion of data makes any conclusions drawn from it questionable.

The survey needs to be restarted and quite specifically ask simple single questions, such as, "how old are you now?" and / or "how old were you when you started?" etc.

This poll was not intended to collect statistical data - just to satisfy my curiosity. I am a newbie to motorhomes but in the short time I have owned it have discovered that at the tender age of 45 i am amongst the younger end of owners - just wanted a quick poll to see if this was the case

And also what if you both fall into the same age category?

As you can only vote once for each age range this will result in a missed vote and hence slewed results. The only way round this would be to include 2 voting lines for each age range.

Keith.

Keithl - 2011-08-29 11:51 AM

And also what if you both fall into the same age category?

As you can only vote once for each age range this will result in a missed vote and hence slewed results. The only way round this would be to include 2 voting lines for each age range.

Keith.

You could always ask someone not in your age group to vote on your behalf...

Guest JudgeMental

Get it pulled and start again? lol

But its a daft poll anyway, as we all know that motorhoming is a pursuit dominated by wrinkle's in the UK......you only have to go to a show to see that *-)

Guest Tracker

I well remember when I was a lot younger and I was then one of the very few younger motorhomers - so I guess nothing much has changed - except the price of the vans and their complexity!

Sure the vehicles themselves are vastly superior and more reliable in keeping with our cars and expectations but it seems with all this electronic gubbins and complex 'essential' life support systems it comes at a price - inconveniece when it goes wrong, difficulty of diagnosing and then carrying out even simple repairs and, of course, the astronomical cost of repairs!

Progress eh - don't you just love it!

PS - No thanks I don't want to go back to a Bedford CA or CF or an early V4 Transit, and absolutely not the early VW Transporter, Austin J2 & J4, Commer Spacevan, Standard Atlas or Ford Thames!!

We've been motor home users for 34 years, also 'infected' our eldest Son who has been an owner for eight or nine years.

Try a visit to VanFest on the Malvern showground on the second weekend of September and I guess you will have a whole new idea of the average age of Motorhomers, they are a lot younger that you think!!

Don't try to get a camping plot I believe it's been sold out for a good number of weeks!

Besides all of which, even if the poll had been completed faultlessly, and without dispute over who was youngest when they started, all you would have is information from those motorhomers who a) frequent this forum and b) those who chose to reply. While that may be representative of the above group, it may well be very misleading as a guide to all, or even typical, motorhomers. Oh yes, and I doubt the typical motorhomer actually exists! :-D

Guest Tracker
Don't take it personally Tony as there are always those on any forum who will take any opportunity to moan and critcise - do stay with us and you too may learn to master the art!

There's always someone who spikes the question, including me at times, and no doubt you may at some stage, its a matter of getting one'sown piece across pretty darned quick before the ink dries, or so it seems.

Try who is the oldest and see what response you get, just as bad, me reckons.

art

Archived