Average age of MH Users

Bolly1965

Average age of MH Users  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Tracker
Derek Uzzell - 2011-08-30 7:57 AM

Tracker - 2011-08-29 10:07 PM

...there are always those on any forum who will take any opportunity to moan and critcise...!

I think that's the most extreme case of the pot calling the kettle black I've ever come across.

Thank you for that kind thought Derek - and when have I ever critcised you or anyone else who did not first post something offensive themselves?

I think you will find that when I disagree with a politely made posting I do so politely and without insulting the poster - at least that's what I set out to do - but I have no control over the interpretation that any reader chooses to put upon that which he/she reads?

Well Tracker is 96, I'm 46, so I guess our average age is 71, I'm not really keen on averages, but your poll was only meant as a fun poll anyway.

It might not collect technically correct data, but shows that most (on here anyway) are old fuddy duddy's, and a few shouldn't have to worry about MOT's in 3 years time. :D

Ignore the criticism, have a laugh and welcome to the forums.

Guest pelmetman
Bolly1965 - 2011-08-30 7:14 PMwow all this bitching - anyone would have thought i'd joined that 'other' forum - and as my poll shows most of you are old enough to know better!

They can't help it Bolly:D........as a lot of them are suffering from very bad depreciation.......sorry I mean depression(lol)

pelmetman - 2011-08-30 7:23 PM
Bolly1965 - 2011-08-30 7:14 PMwow all this bitching - anyone would have thought i'd joined that 'other' forum - and as my poll shows most of you are old enough to know better!

They can't help it Bolly:D........as a lot of them are suffering from very bad depreciation.......sorry I mean depression(lol)
ha ha ha ha (lol)

JudgeMental - 2011-08-28 11:09 PM

In Europe market much bigger and popular with younger familys...Also prices better so that is the result, more sales.... UK business will never learn.

Judge,

i think the 'Demographic' in Western Europe points to a falling birthrate and a large 'Bulge' of us (like me) 'Baby boomers' born 1945- 53, SO, anyone who wants to sell anything in the next few years had better take us (and our Money !) into consideration. Obviously agree that the Mainland market is bigger than the UK AND that it seems to appeal to a younger market 'over there', as you may know I don't particularly like ' Euro-lounge' type Motorhomes or the Continental 'Live outside' type of design. As long as there are still designs being produced to keep me happy, Fine. Guess that makes me an 'Old Git' ???? ;-) :D Ray

Rayjsj - 2011-08-30 7:54 PM

In Europe market much bigger and popular with younger familys...Also prices better so that is the result, more sales.... UK business will never learn.

Judge,

i think the 'Demographic' in Western Europe points to a falling birthrate and a large 'Bulge' of us (like me) 'Baby boomers' born 1945- 53, SO, anyone who wants to sell anything in the next few years had better take us (and our Money !) into consideration. Obviously agree that the Mainland market is bigger than the UK AND that it seems to appeal to a younger market 'over there', as you may know I don't particularly like ' Euro-lounge' type Motorhomes or the Continental 'Live outside' type of design. As long as there are still designs being produced to keep me happy, Fine. Guess that makes me an 'Old Git' ???? ;-) :D Ray

Couldn't agree more. I don't think manufacturers are catering for the right markets. I also agree with you about the EuroVans - I want a cosy lounge area in which to stretch out and to feel warm - Gee - i'm becoming an old git before my time (lol)

Rayjsj - 2011-08-30 7:54 PM

Judge,

We digress, but to digress some more, this leaves UK manufacturers in a slightly odd place. What they should, surely, be doing, is buying LHD chassis and building typical "Euro" motorhomes here, and exporting them to Europe just as fast as they can go. Consider, from the Arctic Circle to the Med, and from the Urals to the Atlantic, everyone drives on the right. So, one chassis, some decent Euro friendly layouts, and you can sell your van, with minor variations for taste, to pretty much any European country that will buy. The potential volume is staggering, UK vans are pretty well regarded because they look that bit different, and the interiors generally appeal. So, simplified designs, streamlined production, huge economies of scale, much enhanced buying power, and potentially lucrative profits. Instead, what do they do, they produce vans that suit only, by and large, UK buyers (though you'd think at least some of the northern Europeans would appreciate designs aimed at cooler, damper, windier climes), they stick them religiously on RHD chassis, for which they pay a bit of a premium, and try to survive selling them just within UK and Ireland. Bonkers. No ambition, see! Home market dominated thinking, insular outlook - goes with living on an island. :-)

Example, I've just been in conversation with a lady regarding gas cylinders in France. She has a UK made van that will only take the 7kg Calor type cylinders. Too small for practicality in the first place (frequent changes a necessity), no-one else in Europe makes such tall, narrow, cylinders. So, what to do? She is unwilling to consider refillables, her prerogative. Many folk visit France, but you can't get two compact French gas cylinders into her gas locker, because the locker is too narrow. Insular thinking! UK van for UK market, not to be taken abroad - right! Why do they bother fitting the ruddy wheels, then? We'll never export our way out of the poo with thinking like that. Bet the boss takes home a nice fat salary, though, and considers himself a rather dashing and innovative entrepreneur. No real vision, though. :-D

to digress even further, i too wonder why British designed and manufactured motorhomes don't have at least a 'toehold' in 'Greater Europe' ? the same designs as for the UK only with L/H drive and Reversed habitation doors (i think they 'Have to' to even be able to sell them there ? unlike the UK ?)

I know that the Dutch in particular greatly value our products, having shown several Dutch couples (one a 'Rover owning' Tugger) around our van whilst 'neibours' on site. All were very impressed with the quality and the fact they are 'differant' from other european products. Ray

Guest Tracker
Rayjsj - 2011-08-31 8:21 AM

to digress even further, i too wonder why British designed and manufactured motorhomes don't have at least a 'toehold' in 'Greater Europe' ? the same designs as for the UK only with L/H drive and Reversed habitation doors (i think they 'Have to' to even be able to sell them there ? unlike the UK ?)

I know that the Dutch in particular greatly value our products, having shown several Dutch couples (one a 'Rover owning' Tugger) around our van whilst 'neibours' on site. All were very impressed with the quality and the fact they are 'differant' from other european products. Ray

Ah, yes, but Ray you have one of the best layout and build quality British made vans around and as not all vans are equal in the build quality stakes yours is head and shoulders better than anything newer from the same stable or indeed many others!

Archived