Insurance For Trailed Car And Trailer

Frank McAuley

Due to aches,pains and difficulty seeing in the ever-pesent rain I have decided to replace my PS 125i HONDA Sporty motorscooter (approx 100miles and 1 yr old) and EASYLIFTER HYDRATRAIL rack (new) with a Toyota iQ3 and Brian James Micro-Max trailer.

To date I have had difficulty insuring the car when it is on the trailer: I have cover for my mhome and the car on the road but not for the car when mounted on the trailer. The company insuring the mhome will cover the trailer but not with the car installed!

This is a new field for me folks but I'm hopeful you can provide guidance on all aspects of this venture!

BTW the scooter and rack are "on the market". :-S

We were having a similar problem, although we have not yet purchased a trailer for our IQ3 CVT.

Our Insurance Agent recommended Axa or Grouparma, He obtained a written confirmation that the IQ was covered whilst on the trailer. The trailer is covered by the Caravan Club Motorhome insurance.

BTW Did you look at either Danbury or Woodford trailers before you settled on the BJ trailer. ?

Only asking because the pictures of the BJ trailer seemed to have no lip on the edges of the trailer, and was similar to a flat bed. Made us think that if there was any movement during transit, the car could move of the trailer.

Rgs

Made a few enqs: the BJ trailer is a modern design/materials with the use of laser cutting as opposed to "metal punching"( as used by others); the absence of sides also enables the towed veh to be properly secured . The only veh BJ have lost was from a trailer with sides!

That's from the "horse's mouth" and when you examine one of the BJ trailers it looks the part!

Thanks for the comments re the Ins Comp- my broker is chasing it! :-S

I was having a more than usual brain dead day ! Forget any Danberries or variations of ! I meant Bantam ! (Dont Ask *-) )

The main players seem to Brian James Trailers which I have used for towing Caterhams, Bantam Trailers ( http://www.bantamtrailers.co.uk/ ), Woodford Trailers ( http://www.woodfordtrailers.com/ ) and Smart Trailers ( http://www.smart-trailers.co.uk/main0.htm) who I think are rebranded one of the above.

We are slowly looking at the trailers, prices with a view to order / manufacture before Spring of next year. A mixture of trying to find the best value for money and wish list.

A couple of points have arisen:

One being, it pays to ask if a caravan mover can be fittted if you (might) need one. We have a steep drive, which I would not like to reverse up with a trailer.(even empty) A mixture of Fiat Reverse Problems, Angle of slope and direction, and my ability ! (That said I did OK with a Discovery and trailer loaded with Caterham.)

Secondly, Avoid a Smart Car trailer, although some are wide enough (just) to take an IQ, the weight distribution can make the nose weight VERY heavy. Engine and gear box on a Smart is in the rear, On the IQ, the weight is on the front, You might get away with it if you reverse the car on the trailer, but that puts a lot of weight behind the axle of the trailer and could make the trailer become a tank slapper under certain conditions.

Rgds

Tyou again for your comments. I asked "James" this morning if a mover could be fitted and they have agreed to examine this; they have not fitted them previously.

James states that the BANTAM is an old design and they don't think it's appropiate for the Toyota iQ so I'm basically looking at a Micro-Max. Like you I will not need the trailer until early next year but remember the 14 week order and build phase.

Your advice is much appreciated. Rgds. 8o| :-S

Tyou again for your comments. I asked "James" this morning if a mover could be fitted and they have agreed to examine this; they have not fitted them previously.

James states that the BANTAM is an old design and they don't think it's appropiate for the Toyota iQ so I'm basically looking at a Micro-Max. Like you I will not need the trailer until early next year but remember the 14 week order and build phase.

Your advice is much appreciated. Rgds. 8o| :-S

I am a little confused about Bantam trailers because they are (I think ?) B-James older design and style now superceded by the micro-max series.

However it is clear that a company is trading under the name of Bantam trailers, So I am not sure if the manufacturing rights have been passed on by BJ trailers, or it is just a coincident in company names ?

I dare say someone has the answer ?

Rgds

Archived