lake district for newbies

essjay

hi all at out and about

the wife and i have hired a motorhome for next week with intentions of buying one and wanting to tour the lake district.has anyone got any ideas on itinaries for 6 days motorhoming around the lakes. any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. this will be our first time in a motorhome. thanks from steve and lynette

Welcome, the lake district is, weather permitting, a great place. Look at any of the caravan site books and take one or two or three. The area has a lot to offer for anyone. Walking climbing sailing relaxing so take your pick. As a newby I would suggest, from my own experience, booking a site. Once on site take a look around and see what others are doing. I don't think much wild camping can be achieved in this area but look and talk. It is without doubt an area of outstanding beauty regardless of anyones taste. You will , in due course, enjoy your new toy whether it be in the lake district or elsewhere. We were late entering the motorhome world and have enjoyed both england, scotland, france and spain so just go for it.

Arthur Brown

But watch out as many Lake District roads are very narrow and often single track with passing places. These roads are best avoided in any coachbuilt MH or you will spend a long time reversing to allow traffic to pass.

We once tried to go East to West over Wrynose and Hardknott passes in a car and after spending longer going backwards than forwards we gave up and turned round :'(

Also some of the hills are very steep and the hairpin bends on them are even steeper so unless you trust the pulling power of your MH and have good rear end clearance for abrupt climbs think very, very carefully about which roads you take.

I'm not trying to put you off as the Lake district is a beautiful place but plan your route carefully.

Keith.

Hi essjay and welcome.

Obviously you will want to explore the area but I agree with the view that caution should be taken regarding roads. Also you may find some car parks are not suitable for motorhomes

(depending on size). For instance in the main carpark in Ambleside you will probably have to pay for 2 spaces and the cost for a single space is £6 per day. Likewise the Grasmere car park (from memory) is expensie and the village is best to avoid as regards driving through. There is some parking at the side of the main road (by-pass).

On a positive note, I would recomend the Camping and Caravanning Site at Keswick - it is at the end of the lake and a few minutes' walk into town.

There is a Caravan Club site at Bowness on Windermere (Braithwite Fold) which is only a short walk from the lake. I have not stayed on it but CC sites have excellent facilities.

Both clubs have a number of sites in the Lake District but not all are as convenient for towns as these two. (Great walking opportunities are available direct from the Keswick site.) The CC site at Troutbeck Head (about 4 miles from Ullswater) is superb. If you wish to venture towards Grange-overr-Sands the Meathop Fell CC is near. (We did a superb walk from there.)

I would recommend phoning sites ASAP as they are very popular (even out of School Holidays.) If you decide to base yourself at either Caravan Club or Camping ad Caravanning Club sites for the week it may be worth joining the Club in question as you will pay £8 extra per night as a non-member at CC and about £7.20 extra at CCC. If you are over 55 you receive an age discount as a member at CCC.

Obviously there are also commercial sites in the Lake District but I have no experience of any in the area.

Have a super week. You will find motorhomers, in the main, to be friendly and helpful so if you need any help just ask. Despite what some folks say, most Wardens (CC) and Holiday Site Managers (CCC) are also helpful.

Also a CCC site at Kendal. Not so close to the town as Keswick, but quite a pleasant, easy, walk across fields with a good Morrisons super on the way in.

Your biggest problem will probably be the weekends, mid-week there is usually space, so if you want to try out motorhoming, be prepared to move around to where the spaces are. Depending on what you hire, it will probably be best to keep to the main roads, as suggested above. Some of the smaller roads could be a bit heart in the mouth with hire Co insurance conditions to bear in mind!

You can walk out from most of the lake district sites, so there is no real need to drive to car parks etc. If it looks like being wet, try the North York Moors instead. The east coast is often dry when the west is wet. Have fun!

Hi

In the lakes we tend to find a Site for 3 nights - use local buses - then move on to another site and repeat.

The advantage of buses is:-

You can walk a one way trip and get bus back

Have a pub lunch and a couple of beers with a clear conscience.

The buses are good - set out early to get 8 or 10 miles in before lunch as i never seem to be able to walk so far in the pm after those beers!

One site we usually visit is the caravan club site at coniston - "park Coppice" - cos we can walk to ambleside or Hawkshead (after ferry across lake) and get bus back.(about 10 miles to ambleside via the pretty route) or walk up Coniston Old Man and drop back down to the pubs in Coniston village - from there its about 2 miles to the campsite.

Enjoy

Peter

I would recommend the Camping and Caravan Club site at Keswick, close to town centre, close to bus station with buses to places all over the Lake District, plenty of walks direct from the site, possibility to use ferries on the lake to access walks. Plus it avoids the parking problems of a motorhome which can be difficult in the Lake District. Never had a problem with the roads when we have used the van on a circular day tour, but needs careful planning for suitable stops. Enjoy, its a marvellous area.

I would recommend the Camping and Caravan Club site at Keswick, close to town centre, close to bus station with buses to places all over the Lake District, plenty of walks direct from the site, possibility to use ferries on the lake to access walks. Plus it avoids the parking problems of a motorhome which can be difficult in the Lake District. Never had a problem with the roads when we have used the van on a circular day tour, but needs careful planning for suitable stops. Enjoy, its a marvellous area.

Just a slight warning in case you don't have bus passes - I understand that bus fares in The Lake District are very expensive. However, as has been suggested, using buses one way may be a more viable option that using the hired motorhome when you go out for day walks.

I'm sure you'll enjoy staying at Keswick - there are certainly lots of walks and activities you can do from there without moving the van. The local museum (near the park) and The Pencil Museum are worth visiting.

The Caravan Club site at Braithwaite Fold is great for walking into Bowness, but is a little resricted on size (it is managed by the CC for the local council ) of pitches, and a bit like a 'half grassed circular car park' but all facilities are fine, You ARE right in Bowness, so no need to drive out to resturants or pubs/chip shops/ lots of 'Retail' therapy if required. ;-) Ray

A good place to stop is Miller Field Motorhome Camping, 5 Rothay Road, Ambleside.Cumbria LA22 0EE phone number 07708 310986 Graham the owner will answer and let you know if there are any pitches available. Ambleside is on the main bus route to many towns and villages and the campsite is minutes from the bus station. The pitch charge is about £10 but if you are a Mototcaravanners Club member it is £2 less.

Rayjsj - 2011-09-03 1:59 PM

The Caravan Club site at Braithwaite Fold is great for walking into Bowness, but is a little resricted on size (it is managed by the CC for the local council ) of pitches, and a bit like a 'half grassed circular car park' but all facilities are fine, You ARE right in Bowness, so no need to drive out to resturants or pubs/chip shops/ lots of 'Retail' therapy if required. ;-) Ray

Good luck getting on this site, its allways fully booked even mid week :-(

Archived