need advice on tv please

trickydicky

hi, we have just purchased a hymer B664 C and are really happy with it and everything in it,except for the location of the tv.it comes out of a side cupboard on a slide runner but is far too high for us to view comfortably from our armchairs,even if we recline the chairs back.we need to lower it considerably to avoid the neck pain that we are getting at the moment.has anybody got any suggestions please.

We don't use the TV cupboard in our MH for that reason.

We have a 19" flatscreen HD TV that we just put on the dining table when viewing. It's connected by a 5m HDMI cable which I routed from the TV cupboard, where we put the Sky+HD box.

When not in use and in transit, we store it face down with the Sky box on the fixed bed. Much 'softer' journey than in the TV cupboard.

My Swift kontiki has the same type of pull-out to break your neck. Fortunately the MH layout allowed me to sit the tv on top of a unit underneath the existing position, so it will depend on the layout of your MH. I have only this week changed tv and in this instance it is still in the same location but I have fabricated 2 brackets that fit to the rear of the tv and a length of screwed rod through to the cupboard above. Tv is removed in seconds and having removed the pull-out, stored in the same cupboard.

We also moved the TV. Ours is fitted under a cupboard on a tilt and turn brackets. (Bought from B&Q)When not in use it tilts up and slides under the cupboard out of the way. To ensure that it does not slide out in transit, we anchor the pull out arm with a bungee strap. It has been fine for four years in this position. We could not fit it under the existing Tv cupboard, as would have been in the way of the dinette seat, so we rerouted the wires to the other side of the van

I hope the manufacturers now put tv at lower positions, as the "old " position , usually in corner cupboards, was much to high for the average person, and for "shorties" like me, was a right pain in the neck..

PJay

PS another thing that I find bad is the position of Microwave cupboards, much to high and IMO dangerous when getting hot liquids out. (Designed by a man, no dought !!) I use my microwave cupboard as useful storage, as I don't have one in van.

PJay

We also had this problem in our Hymer plus it only took a 15" screen and OH prefers to be able to see what he is watching so wanted a 19". We purchased a heavy duty bracket that we attached to the wall of our Fridge housing. If you take off the outside grille you can see how much space you have. We attached a piece of wood to support the weight of TV and Bracket and then lower down we attached an arial socket. It is brilliant, the TV travels on the seat with a heavy cushion over it. The bracket travels in the TV cupboard (that now houses our satellite box held on with cable ties) and the arial lead goes into the lower fridge bracket (we made a small hole) so it is dry despite the weather when we are on site and set up.

Hope this helps.

Like many of the earlier posters, we just lay the TV on the bed for short travelling and sit it on the table for viewing.

For long distance runs the TV is in a box under the bed. This removes some weight from the highest cupboard to the lowest which is always good.

The high cupboard where the TV bracket was is very good for tall, lightweight, packets (corn flakes, etc).

The, very heavy, folding, sliding, swinging bracket is in my shed for refitting if we sell the van.

There is minor inconvienence in connecting cables and stowing compared to a fixed installation but it beats a sore neck.

It took until our second van to realise it was ours and not like a hire boat - ie, we can remove fixed items and drill discrete holes for cables and generally muck about to suit ourselves so long as we keep one eye on resale value.

We find having the TV close by means that we can get by with a smaller one. It reminds me of father Ted explaining about small cows and large cows far away - they both look the same!

Guest pelmetman
My parents bought a brand new Rapido A class on a Merc.........Changed it after 6 months for a Hymer because of the TV position8-)8-)8-)............
If it wasn't for the irrefutable proof every morning when I look in the mirror............I would doubt I was related:D

I don't know if you will be able to do it with yours but Frankia have a brilliantly simple solution to the problem. They simply mount a pullout slide mount mounted at 45 degrees so that when you pull it out thenTV is automatically lowered. If you can do this with your location you will need to make sure it can be locked in folded position for travel. For the life of me I can't see why more manufacturers don't copy them!

We have an avtex 16" tv, which i have mounted on the side of the wardrobe, added a hardwood support inside to take the weight, have a double jointed bracket that allows the set to be swivelled right around if necessary. I mount it with a 'Quick release' bracket so that it can be removed for travel and placed into it's 'Bag' (a cheap laptop bag from E-bay). But always make sure that where you screw the bracket is 'Man enough' to take the weight. ;-) Ray

Archived